is it OK to come for 'matha tek' while dohra??

deent_singh

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

sadh sangat ji,

is it OK to come for 'matha tek' after ardas in dohra "agya bhaee aka ki, tabeh chaleyo panth''?

in our gurdwara the other day some gursikhs came forward for matha tek while dohra and the granthi ji gave them a really weird look, as if they had done something wrong.

just wondering what sangat thinks of this??

gurfateh ji

That's ok if someone mistakenly did maath teak when the dodra was going on but it's our duty that we listen to everything being said in the ardas with attention. And if you do that you would be standing while the dehora is going on. Dohera is not read at all the Gurdwara Sahib so those Gursikhs might have mistakenly took the Fateh as the ending of ardas.

• 2 months later...

Why is dohra not raed in all Gurdwaras? and can someone tell me where exactly it is from. Also, am I correct in assuming it is not (at least not fully) compiled by Guru Gobind Singh Ji- It's just that the last line taht is soetimes read confuses me- the "khanda ja ke haath meh kalgi soi hai sis, so hamro rachiya kari guru Kalgidhar Jagdees" Soiort- that is a very poor attempt at putting it in English- where was this line added?

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Can anyone advice till which shalok the dohra shall be read coz I have seen everyone reading it till different shaloks.

I only consider reading Guru Sahib's, Bhagats(whose bani is in SGGS), Bhai Gurdas Ji or Bhai Nandlal ji's bani and some people read vaheguroo naam jahaaj hai.... which I don't think is written by anyone mentioned above and hence I don't read that in Dohra.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!,

According to Akal Takht' s Rehat Maryada Dohra is:

Ageaya bei akal ki, tabhe chlayo panth

sabh sikhan ko hukam hai, Guru Maheyo Granth

Guru Granth ji maneyo, pargat Gura ki Deh

jo prabh ko mit boj hai, khoj shabad me le

Raaj Karega Khalsa, aki rhe na koe

khuar hoe sabh milenge, bache sharan jo hoe.

Guru Gobind SIngh ji composed it and if Im not mistaken it can be found in Giani Gian Singh's work and BHai Nand lal (Singh) ji's work :wub:

bhull chukk maf

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

This Dohra is NOT Gurbani -and unfortunately, much to the delight of Namdharis, many of today's Sikhs actually fail to note this!

It can be found in many formats, the one most commonly used, taken from Gyani Gyan Singh.

The Akal Thakt rehitnama shortens it considerably removing lines relating to Neklank Avtar, the Guru Jyot at Nanded Sahib, Sach Khand Hazur Sahib and of course the plee to Shamsher Kalgidhar Pita for protection.

Gur Fateh!

Niranjana

first of all, the main confusion with dohira comes from the fact that we don't realize the true nature of ardass.

if you look at the meaning of ardas and its tradition, it is a blatantly political statement. in ardas sikhs remember first the gurus, then great sikhs then our shaheeds. then we remember our takhts and then we go on to ask for guru jee's blessings over our SARBAT KHALSA. after this, we go on to ask vaaheguru jee for continued respect of our "chandai, bungai, nishanai", or banners, military encampments and flags, all politcal and military insignia of a sovereign nation.

then comes the dohira.

i think if we think of ardas as not only a prayer but also what would be the equivalent of an oath of allegiance. in canada, that oath would be to the queen, in the states it would be to the constitution. in the panth, it would be to vaaheguru, guru granth and the panth itself.

many of us believe that the shabad "deh shiva" is the sikh national anthem. im not sure where this theory originated (the article i link to later has its own theory) but while it is a beautiful, inspiring and powerful shabad, it does not really have the "feel" or the essential qualities of a national anthem. the dohira is a much more appropriate national anthem, and i believe that is why it has been sung at the end of ardaas.

what is important to remember is that the line,

raaj karaiga khalsa akee raho na koyai

kvaahr hoai sabh milingai bachai sharan jo hoai

is BANI. it is written by bhai nand lal singh (goya-multani) whose writtings are considered to be on the same level as those of bhai gurdas jee. the dohira comes at the end of bhai nand lal singh's t

ankhanama.

according to this article by the respected sikh intellectual and prominent khalistani dr. harjinder singh dilgeer, the lines of the official seal of the khalsa panth,

"degho tegho fateho! nusrat bederang!

yaft az nanak guru gobind singh!"

also made up part of the "anthem" at some point in its history. this seal of the panth, is like the seal of any other nation. in america, the country's seal is "in god we trust". we are also a sovereign nation, and our seal is the above line, which from historical evidence was first written down by guru gobind singh (without the words guru gobind singh added at the end). it appears at the beggining of guru gobind singh's hukams to the patiala singhs and to the family of ghani khan and nabhi khan. baba banda singh bahadur's coins and hukams also contain this seal with the words "guru gobind singh" added to the end. sardar jassa singh also used this when the sikhs took over lahore for a brief few weeks, as did bhai baghel singh when he took over delhi. "maha"raja ranjit singh also used the seal for the beggining part of his raj but then changed it later as he became more brahminical to "akal sahai", which of course takes the guru khalsa panth totally out of the equation.

in fact, not reading the dohira is part of the much larger historic trend of denigrating the panth and lowering the panth's status.

sikhs need to remember that WE ARE THE GURU, that the guru khalsa panth is the GURU of the sikhs!

here are the articles i discussed,

http://www.sikhe.com/gsdno/articles/herita...e/sikh-yaad.pdf

http://www.singhsabha.com/sikh_national_anthem.htm

gurfateh

santbirsingh