Documentory called "Storming the Temple"

punnu5000

amazing documentary!!!!!!!! Please post the people's e-mail address, so everyone can send a thank you message, please do this, if you don't do it, then who will? This is a big uddam taken up by history channel, to show the real truth behind it all, please e-mail them, and give your wishes.

Bhul chuk muaf!!!!!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waheguru ji ke Khalsa, waheguru ji ke fateh

Pyare jio, I stayed up to watch the programme and it was well worth it.

There were technical mistakes such as the narrator stating Sahib Siri Guru Nanak Dev Ji was born a Hindu, and Sikhism was an amalgamation of Islam and Hinduism. Apart from that it was actually very good. I have tried searching for the producers on the History Channel website today to points these mistakes out, and to congratulate them on the rest of it.

The documentary began with youth from the Damdami Taksal playing Gatkha praising Baba Jarnail singh ji Bindranwala. Then it started from the partition of 1947. It explained the horrors of it, and how it divided the Punjab in half. However it failed to mention that Punjab is actually now 1/3 with the creation of Haryana state. It progressed into the Sikh grievances, and how the promises made by the Congress failed to materialise. It showed footage of the Punjab Morcha, and the crackdown on Sikhs before the Asian Games.

I am not sure why every documentary maker on Sikhism always uses Khushwant Singh. In this interview he did not even wear a dastaar. He rarely speaks anything of significance, and is generally an embarrassment to Sikhs. With so many educated Sikhs, why does he always get used? Other contributions by Mark Tully did reek of his usual bias for the Indian Government. Any normal journalist would ask why were the press removed during the attack and its aftermath? What where they hiding? He himself stated it was the most controversial, yet least reported event in Modern Indian history. However he failed to ask why? Is this not journalism is all about?

Then the documentary centred o

n Baba Jarnail Singh ji. The footage shown was very good. Also was the extent it went to understand Baba ji. You got a true sense of his persona as a Great Gursikh. It clearly showed his keen interest was in spreading sikhi in the villages. It mentioned the 1978 Amritsar saka, and the follow up clash with Nirankaris. However at this point, the interviewed Sikh from Damdami Taksal mentioned that Sant ji offered a weight in gold for anyone who killed Nirankaris, which corroborated the narrators comment on this. This hinted negativity on Baba ji. Factually I believe this is incorrect. A Hindu paper at the times which was constantly challenged Baba ji, originated this comment. Baba ji simply said why not? That he would. I also would have preferred if rather than using silly dubbing voices, that they allowed Baba jis voice, with sub-titles. I am also quite sure some of the quotes were out of context, and it neither balanced the arguments by showing how Baba ji himself often treated Hindus with respect. Mark Tully`s reference to General Shabeg Singh was completely unhelpful and rather silly.

To its credit the documentary then showed Baba Jarnail Singh was not a terrorist, but he was made one by the media. This is a very important point, and completely true. It showed that violence had gripped Punjab, but stated that the media blamed Baba Jarnail Singh. However it balanced this with the counter-claim by Baba ji, that is was Indian intelligences agencies behind it, to discredit the movement.

It showed the planning of the attack in detail. However it failed to go far enough to question the very point it made. Why did the attack happen on Sahib Siri Guru Arjan dev jis Gurpurbs, one of the busiest days in the year? It showed a Raagi Gursikh wife`s interview to give a human face to the events. Later this was very powerful. General Brar was also interviewed. He tried to justify the unjustifiable. It showed limited footage on the attack. However it did go well into its aftermath. It showed pictures of innocent

Sikhs tied on the Parkarmia, and showed that they were eliminated. It questioned the Human rights abuses that occurred. It showed Baba Jarnail singh jis shaheedi saroop, and emphasised his prophecy. “The day the Government attacks Siri Darbar sahib, is the day the foundation stone for Khalistan will be laid! ”.

It continued on to Indira Gandhi`s behaviour after the attack. It showed the deep resentment that now existed in Sikhs around the world. General Brar said no human rights abuses had occurred in a tone, that he could not have even convinced himself. On a funny note, General Brar also admitted how deeply unpopular he now was, with many attempts on his life. He said even his own uncle had threatened to kill him!

It showed how Indira Gandhi was assassinated by her own bodyguards due to resentment for the attack. To its credit, it covered the Delhi Roits very well showing it through some widows stories giving it a human edge. The comments of the Sikh widow were very powerful. However I know BBC has extensive footage of the Roits with Sikhs being burned in front of cameras. None of this footage was used.

It further continued how the Government systematically brought genocide to Sikh youth in Punjab, with footage of dead Sikhs. This was also an important addition which it covered. It mentioned the Air India bomb, but it balanced this with stating that even though Canada most expensive trial is happening, that even the investigators have not discounted it was done by Indian Government to discredit the movement.

It ended with the same Gursikh Bibi of Darbar sahib. Her son made a good comments emphasizing the hurt Sikhs still feel today.

In conclusion, the documentary was very well-balanced. We as Sikhs also have to accept there are two sides to this. However with both sides presented clearly, one ended the documentary with the feeling that Baba Jarnail Singh ji was a good sikh, that Sikhs had genuine grievances, that Indira Gandhi made a huge blunder in Operation Bl

ue star, that the Sikhs were justified in their revenge, that the 84 roits and aftermath were horrific, and that Sikhs still today have genuine hurt at its treatment in India.

I think the documentary makers were from Canada, and I think they should be encouraged in their efforts. I wish to write to them direct, but have been unable to get their contact details from the History channel website. If someone does have them, please let me know.

Waheguru ji kekhalsa, waheguru ji ke fateh