Pragaret Singh Murder: Store Owner Shot 'protecting Business'

Jeevan

Pragaret Singh murder: Store owner shot 'protecting business'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-29862589?print=true

news-blocks.gif Manchester
1 November 2014 Last updated at 22:20 Pragaret Singh murder: Store owner shot 'protecting business'

A food store owner was shot dead at his Manchester business while "grappling" with a pair of robbers, police believe.

Pragaret Singh, 35, was found with wounds to his abdomen and chest at Manchester Food Traders in Wood Street, Openshaw, on Friday evening.

Mr Singh, who was locking up the family business when he was attacked, died in hospital.

His uncle Billy Singh said the family was "devastated" and that his death had "left a hole in their world".

Police said Mr Singh was carrying "thousands of pounds" of takings from the business when he was attacked.

It is thought the two robbers ran off with a large amount of money and fled in a silver car.

One of the men is described as black with spiked knotted hair and of a tall slim build.

'Unimaginable loss'

Det Supt Jon Chadwick said Mr Singh, from Swinton, Salford, was a father of three and known as Charlie to his friends.

He said: "We believe Charlie has grappled with at least one of the offenders to protect his business and during that struggle he suffered fatal gunshot wounds.

"At this stage of our inquiry we believe this is the tragic death of an innocent businessman who was simply trying to protect his livelihood from criminals.

"As a result, Charlie's entire family have suffered an unimaginable loss."

Billy Singh described his nephew as "a lovely lad and a dedicated father, who loved his kids".

No arrests have been made and police are appealing for witnesses.

Greater Manchester Police said there would be an increased police presence in the area over the coming "hours, days and weeks".

may waheguru rest him in peace

I think we should call for a Pragaret's law just like there is a sarah's law and various other laws that have harmed vulnerable people.... the Sikhs of the UK are a vulnerable community because of their highly visble headgear.... as are shop keepers and small business owners they are vulnerable too and need extra protection in legislation.

Too many innocent hard working shop keepers have been murdered for simply working hard and helping their families to survive in difficult circumstances. Who are going to support and look after his wife and kids now?

may waheguru rest him in peace

I think we should call for a Pragaret's law just like there is a sarah's law and various other laws that have harmed vulnerable people.... the Sikhs of the UK are a vulnerable community because of their highly visble headgear.... as are shop keepers and small business owners they are vulnerable too and need extra protection in legislation.

they have a law already against armed robbery don't need special one this was not a hate crime...but a simple case of armed robbery. The Veer who was killed was totally shaven headed and had a trimmed beard. I suspect the family did not have proper money collections/banking during the day so that the tills had minimal money in there at the end of the day. Mum and Dad used to clear down the money in their till to avoid becoming a target like this . It is common sense and practice . I also suspect there was insider knowledge that the money would be handled by single guy at the end of the day. Avoidable situation , very sorry it has happened but that was his karam.

Too many innocent hard working shop keepers have been murdered for simply working hard and helping their families to survive in difficult circumstances. Who are going to support and look after his wife and kids now?

My parents had to deal with shoplifters, robbers and even Knife attack and Gun attacks ...my Mum's response 'I'm not opening a bank for the neighbourhood's thieves, we stand and fight ' . The husband did not take care of his business in a sensible way and thus created a target on himself. The family is paying the price but Waheguru will look after them just as always .