British Asian Sikh Attitudes Towards Marriage

mss79

Dear Members at SikhSangat.com

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

My name is Mandeep Singh and I am a PhD Researcher and Research Assistant at Coventry University. My PhD thesis title is:

Attitudes towards Marriage among the British Asian Sikh Community within the context of the 21st Century.

This is a kind request to both Sikh men and women aged between 18-50 from all backgrounds, i.e. married, separated, divorced, cohabitating, inter-faith relationships, the LGBT community, Amrit Dhari and non-Amrit-Dhari to please contact me on my e-mail Sehmim2@uni.coventry.ac.uk

This is a very important study! Divorce and same-sex relationships do not exist within the Sikh Dharam, yet divorce is on a steady increase and the LGBT Sikh community have raised their concerns regarding marriage. Therefore, it is very important that Sikhs from all walks of life within the UK express their thoughts, views and perceptions towards the following topics:

1. Divorce

2. Same-Sex Relationship

3. Marriage and Spirituality

What do you think about these topics?

There is not much literature regarding the above in relation to Sikhs and this study is one of the first studies to explore the broad concept of marriage amongst Sikhs.

If you would like to discuss Gurbani in relation to Marriage, you are most welcome, but if you have no knowledge of Gurbani, that is not a problem. You do not need to know Gurbani to take part in this study.

I am not here to judge anybody but rather find out what is going on in one the most important aspects of a Sikh's life.

Your name and location will not be used at all within this study and anonymity is guaranteed. I can either visit you (anywhere in the UK) or you are most welcome to visit me at Coventry University at our office at the Centre for Trust, Peace and Social Relations Building.

There will be a recorded interview which will last 60-90 minutes. I have interviewed a few Sikhs now and there are so many different views of this topic that are affecting peoples' lives and these views must be shared at an academic level.

Again, may I kindly ask those interested with this study to contact me via e-mail on

Sehmim2@uni.coventry.ac.uk

Please do not ignore this message.

With Best Wishes

Mandeep SIngh (PhD Researcher and Research Assistant, CTPSR, Coventry University)

My name is Mandeep Singh and I am a PhD Researcher and Research Assistant at Coventry University. My PhD thesis title is:

Attitudes towards Marriage among the British Asian Sikh Community within the context of the 21st Century.

This is a kind request to both Sikh men and women aged between 18-50 from all backgrounds, i.e. married, separated, divorced, cohabitating, inter-faith relationships, the LGBT community, Amrit Dhari and non-Amrit-Dhari to please contact me on my e-mail Sehmim2@uni.coventry.ac.uk

This is a very important study! Divorce and same-sex relationships do not exist within the Sikh Dharam, yet divorce is on a steady increase and the LGBT Sikh community have raised their concerns regarding marriage. Therefore, it is very important that Sikhs from all walks of life within the UK express their thoughts, views and perceptions towards the following topics:

1. Divorce

2. Same-Sex Relationship

There is not much literature regarding the above in relation to Sikhs and this study is one of the first studies to explore the broad concept of marriage amongst Sikhs.

If you would like to discuss Gurbani in relation to Marriage, you are most welcome, but if you have no knowledge of Gurbani, that is not a problem. You do not need to know Gurbani to take part in this study.

I am not here to judge anybody but rather find out what is going on in one the most important aspects of a Sikh's life.

Your name and location will not be used at all within this study and anonymity is guaranteed. I can either visit you (anywhere in the UK) or you are most welcome to visit me at Coventry University at our office at the Centre for Trust, Peace and Social Relations Building.

There will be a recorded interview which will last 60-90 minutes. I have interviewed a few Sikhs now and there are so many different views of this topic that are affecting peoples' lives and these views must be shared at an academic level.

Again, may I kindly ask those interested with this study to contact me via e-mail on

With Best Wishes

Mandeep SIngh (PhD Researcher and Research Assistant, CTPSR, Coventry University)

why dont you do research on 'operation blue star' and 1984. how the govenment destroyed the sikh youths and destroyed their gurdwaras and there manuscript library and the continuing propaganda against the truth. also how the british goverenment was involved and helped in this operation

and the continuing effect this is having on shaheed families and there family who are still in jail. research in this is what we need now. we still have not gotten justice. please change your thesis to 1984, this is the kind of research we need

1. Divorce

2. Same-Sex Relationship

With Best Wishes

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa

Waheguru ji ki Fateh

Thesis is fine but divide your findings either by class or caste as the topic pertains to Society which we all know is divided.

Western into (low, middle & high class).

Eastern into Khatri (ruling or warrior class), Brahman (priests, scholars, educators), Vaish (traders & merchants), Shudar (labourers, handymen).

In addition add a section for Pappu's (daddy ji - mummy ji) types who never got the chance or had the balls to choose their partners.

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa

Waheguru ji ki Fateh

Guest Jacfsing2

why dont you do research on 'operation blue star' and 1984. how the govenment destroyed the sikh youths and destroyed their gurdwaras and there manuscript library and the continuing propaganda against the truth. also how the british goverenment was involved and helped in this operation

and the continuing effect this is having on shaheed families and there family who are still in jail. research in this is what we need now. we still have not gotten justice. please change your thesis to 1984, this is the kind of research we need

If you want justice, you have to fight for it, if it's a battle you want to fight you can do so, but don't be expecting the Hindu government to just give you justice peacefully.

I think Sad Singh has hit the nail on the head here. You, Mr Sehmi, when you had the chance to hand in a thesis proposal to the University, had the golden opportunity to do something for your panth but instead you chose the easy way. You could have, for example, asked why it is that a quarter of a million young Sikh boys could have been massacred during Operation Woodrose and the world doesn't bat an eyelid, and the killers get rewarded.

There was a thread on here about a week ago about a female supposedly 'Sikh' academic from Manchester University who has made her career (and therefore money) by deliberately choosing research subjects that rubbish Sikhism in favour of Islam. Like you, she knew how to get inside the stereotype thinking minds of the educational institutions....She knew how to play on their stereotypes and get her proposal accepted.

In summary then, this research of yours benefits only yourself in terms of carving out a successful career. It is of no benefit whatsoever to your people.

Dear All,

Thank-you to all those people who have e-mailed me to take part in this study. We now have more than enough participants for this study. This study could not have happened without the support of the Sikh community. We have had a fast response and I am eternally grateful. A big thank-you to SikhSangat.com.

If you wish to opt out, you have every right to withdraw from this study. I will contact everybody via e-mail over the next few days.

With Best Wishes

Mandeep Singh

Dear SikhSangat.com members,

Thank-you to all the Sikh community who contacted me in relation to this study.

I just wanted to bring to your attention that participants must be UK British Citizens. To those non-UK citizens who have come forward, please accept my apologies, as the study is a UK based study.

Therefore, I am re-sending this invitation for anybody that would like to take part in this study. I will be interviewing participants until the 31st August 2015.

With Best Wishes

Mandeep Singh