Satnam Singh Is First Punjabi Drafted In Nba!

I'm surprised he got any response at all, and I read it only 5 minutes after it posted.

A lot more than I too expected.

Having couple of Punjabis in NBA can only help Sikhs get some mainstream coverage in USA and Canada while give Sikh kids someone look up to.. Obviously having some professional athletes in our community is a positive thing. So I fail to see why anyone would be negative about it.

I personally don't find anything negative about it, but some folks on here aren't so pro punjabi and place a very sharp distinction between Sikhs and Punjabis.

Yes, basketball is huge in China, but if you look at Europe (especially Southern and Eastern European countries), you will see similar interest there as well.

Seriously brother, TRAVEL !!!!!

Get your visas stamped in your passport, get on a plane and actually visit places around the globe. For example, in your last messagge you mention 'southern Europe' as a hotbed of basketball. Everyone knows that out of southern Europe it is Spain that has slightly more interest in basketball than the rest of Europe so let me just tell you abot Spain: I've been to Barcelona twice and I can tell you from personal experience that basketball is a minor, fringe sport there....i.e you'll have to really search for it to find it. I visit Italy regularly as there are family members there and I can tell you from personal experience that basketball is such a minor, fringe sport there you'll have to be a real fan to spot that it even exists.

you will see similar interest there as well.

:nono: Nooo! Let's recap, my friend. We just dicovered that in order to "see" something, for example interest, you'll have to physically get up and visit those places. What you've done though is read things in magazines or heard it on TV and mistakingly in your head equated that with actually seeing those things with your own eyes. So much so that you even advise the next man to go "see similar things". So you, a man that has not actually travelled to those countries tells me, a man that has, what I'll "see" when I get there.

Travel !!!

Spain? They're good basketball nation (and their national team is very good), but I put Greece, Turkey, Lithuania and Croatia/Serbia above them who take basketball support to the next level. But I find it interesting about Euro basketball is that their leagues pay good money to their players.

Again, you haven't travel enough to make your claim while I provide facts to prove you otherwise. If basketball is niche sport, then you might as well say same with rugby and cricket as well. After soccer, basketball is up there and catching up (to certain extent) to soccer. There isn't more globe wide sport outside of soccer that is equal to basketball.

Anyway, point of this thread to congrats Satnam Singh of making to NBA (one of toughest leagues to make it). I guess Brits on here either hate sport or only like cricket (lol).