Children - Overrated?

Balkaar

What I will add though, is that you obviously don't have children. You will definately change once you do.

Although...actually...thinking about it, perhaps you do because I have children of my own but I absolutely can't stand other people's children. As far as I'm concerned none of them are as good as mine. So yes, I wouldn't be too impressed if someone else's child could button up his own overalls at the age of 12 months but would be very proud if it was my child that could do so at that age because it is actually quite impressive. As it happens, all mine could do at that age was vomit and poo. Usually on my work shirt.

Actually I tell a lie. They probably did a lot more but the fact is that they're extremely boring at that age and less. Dads usually only become super involved and hands on from about 15 months plus because then they actually become interesting and fun.

I'm single and childless right now, but I do look forward to being a father one day. I've no doubt that I will adore my future kids, and that I'll retain my distaste for those of them who aren't loosed from my own loins.

Are you sure you're punjabi Bhaji. Why are you not comparing your child to other people's childs and proclaiming them as perfect role models to your failing offspring.

I for one have lost all respect I have for you for not upholding that important Punjabi tradition.

You're right Kira. I don't compare my children to others, I treat women as my equals, I don't despise Mazbhis and I don't drink. You will hate me even more after you read this, but I've single-handedly broken a continuous line of alcoholics that goes back centuries.

I am a disgrace to my noble Punjabi ancestors. Please. Help me.

I know this is a joke and I do see the humor in it. So not a reply to you MSingh, but I'll use it to make a point.

Yes THESE children. There is no better, no higher, no lower. Mistakes or deviations during childhood deserve a far greater tolerance. We often need to study not the child's failures but usually our own interaction. Children are part of a community, a village and we are all entrusted with their care as adults. We can choose to use power over deviants which may make us greater deviants or we can choose to be humans who use our humanity to empower others.

Guru Gobind SIngh Ji did not use his sword to threaten or force anyone to join the Khalsa. He asked for extreme humility and empowered. And to those he bowed and asked to be empowered. That is the most amazing lesson in respect, loyalty, and discipline.

future-children-right1.jpg

I know this is a joke and I do see the humor in it. So not a reply to you MSingh, but I'll use it to make a point.

Yes THESE children. There is no better, no higher, no lower. Mistakes or deviations during childhood deserve a far greater tolerance. We often need to study not the child's failures but usually our own interaction. Children are part of a community, a village and we are all entrusted with their care as adults. We can choose to use power over deviants which may make us greater deviants or we can choose to be humans who use our humanity to empower others.

Guru Gobind SIngh Ji did not use his sword to threaten or force anyone to join the Khalsa. He asked for extreme humility and empowered. And to those he bowed and asked to be empowered. That is the most amazing lesson in respect, loyalty, and discipline.

Of course :)

It was a comment, if anything, on the type of attitude most parents possess whereby someone else's children are considered to be less tolerable because they haven't been sired by that person, whereas one's own offspring can never do any wrong generally speaking. That kind of blind subjective attachment is what's wrong with the world today. "Me and my own" is the only thing that seems to matter to the vast majority of people. I've never been able to understand it.

I have noticed greater deviance among young punjabi boys than mainstream boys. I don't recall girls being an issue with behaviors. It's possible part of it may be due to immigrant life style of two parents working long hours. However, it seemed to be right across the board including boys from well to do families. The deviance at those ages was not serious but in my view some types can be a precursor to greater trouble later.

Have you any theories about why this deviant behaviour exists?