Sikhi And Afterlife

CanadianSingh

One question that's perplexed me since childhood is about the reason for worshipping God. I understand the many reasons we are instructed to do so; to cleanse our souls, atone for sins, finding equilibrium with our spiritual selves so that we can function as effectively as we can through transcending our fleshy outer shells and associated mental desires, etc. But why does God require us to do so?

Doesn't He feel a slight sense of abashment at all these millions of souls who look up to him in this way, lol? Why not say, "It's okay, I know what's in your heart, so don't worry about it. Here's the knowledge and wisdom you need to comprehend me. I'll take the blind faith out of the equation." Or does that defeat the purpose of human existence, I.E. knowledge and wisdom is gained through personal experience over time, and it's not something that can be bestowed upon a person if they haven't made the journey of acquiring those qualities?

Thanks guys, for the anwsers. I read them, and they were excellent. So, pretty in Sikhism it means that Heaven and Hell is a temperate place, and that we are waiting to get reborn again. But why do Muslims and Christains think that Heaven and Hell is forever?

GOD is more likely interested in moving one forward in his evolution , mergence with it than to get you back. Eternal punishment hell or heaven is temporary. Also why would GOD create satan who is battle for our soul dragging it down. Like there a battel which GOD can loose very doubtful.

One question that's perplexed me since childhood is about the reason for worshipping God. I understand the many reasons we are instructed to do so; to cleanse our souls, atone for sins, finding equilibrium with our spiritual selves so that we can function as effectively as we can through transcending our fleshy outer shells and associated mental desires, etc. But why does God require us to do so?

Doesn't He feel a slight sense of abashment at all these millions of souls who look up to him in this way, lol? Why not say, "It's okay, I know what's in your heart, so don't worry about it. Here's the knowledge and wisdom you need to comprehend me. I'll take the blind faith out of the equation." Or does that defeat the purpose of human existence, I.E. knowledge and wisdom is gained through personal experience over time, and it's not something that can be bestowed upon a person if they haven't made the journey of acquiring those qualities?

I also wonder if he cares whether or not we worship him. The idea that he requires or demands obeisance almost seems to suggest that he is some kind of megalomaniac. I hope I'm not alone in believing that, were this true, it would be a frightening characteristic in the all-powerful creator of the universe.

Recently someone sent me an app showing Anita Moorjani's story about how she was inflicted with cancer and got cured. Her After death experience has been related by her. It was interesting and I ended up thinking about many of the quotes which are in Sikhi.

marta marta jag mua mar bhi na janaya koi. Esi marni ko mare bohor na marna hoye.

The SGGS tells us that the world has been created by God himself. He sits and watches it.

Aval Allah noor upaya. Kudrat ke sabh bandhe. Ek noor te sabh jag upjeya. First Allah created the light, then by his creative power he made all the mortal beings. From the one light, the entire universe welled up.

Birth in the human form is considered of the highest degree.

Is dehi ko simre dev. so dehi bhaj har ki sev.

Even the gods long for this human body. so vibrate that human body and think of serving the Lord.

In my understanding, a persons current life will determine what happens to him after death. The bad people will be taken by the jandoots who beat them and torture them.

For protection from the jamdhoots, we have been given Naam and bani.

Reading this link may answer many of your questions. http://www.sadhsangat.com/tag/sggs-p-139/

I also wonder if he cares whether or not we worship him. The idea that he requires or demands obeisance almost seems to suggest that he is some kind of megalomaniac. I hope I'm not alone in believing that, were this true, it would be a frightening characteristic in the all-powerful creator of the universe.

Maybe the answer lies in the way in which He's referred to as our Father? As children we don't fully comprehend why our parents require us to do the things they ask, but we feel they have our best interests at heart. Perhaps it's the same principle? We are told that we are a part of Him originally, and our goal, through constant rebirth, is to chisel away at our true selves so that we may be worthy of returning to the source once and for all.

Has it ever been explained why we, as souls, undergo the process of birth and death? If we are unblemished once we separate from God as "new" souls, then why not let us stay with Him? Why the process of incarnation in the first place and the subsequent lifetimes to follow? How is that meant to benefit anyone, aside from giving us something to do to kill time?

You love your mum and dad and you would move a mountain for them. They clothed you and fed you and love you, so you love them back, unconditionally. So why do you not love God the same way? He loves you unconditionally , clothes you feeds you, watches over you, He is in every breath you take. He takes care of you and your mum and dad and the other billions of people who deny Him.

It is we who move away from Him , He is still waiting with open arms. You take one step towards Him, He will take so many steps towards you. S why do you feel it a chore to love Him?

say, you help some one, you go out of your way to help them, spend time and effort, then they turn the other way and do not appreciate what you have done, how would you feel ? Now, God does everything for you, even when you dis Him He still provides for you, how does Guru Ji feel when we say they are megalomaniac and all they want is for us to worship them?

We suffer when we move away from Him, so why no move closer to Him ?

Look, I am a Sikh, and I am just a tiny bit nervous of Death. I know it will be a long time till I leave this wonderful planet. But, I am just wondering about us Sikhi's believing about Heaven and Hell. Do we believe Heaven and Hell. I also believe in reincarnation as I believe we do a life, and death cycle, and we need to achieve liberation, but when we achieve liberation, what will happen to us after that?

But, I am just saying, that do us Sikhs believe in Heaven and Hell? I read something in the Guru Granth which said that our soul is like a droplet of water, and we become part of Go's ocean.

Maybe the answer lies in the way in which He's referred to as our Father? As children we don't fully comprehend why our parents require us to do the things they ask, but we feel they have our best interests at heart. Perhaps it's the same principle? We are told that we are a part of Him originally, and our goal, through constant rebirth, is to chisel away at our true selves so that we may be worthy of returning to the source once and for all.

Has it ever been explained why we, as souls, undergo the process of birth and death? If we are unblemished once we separate from God as "new" souls, then why not let us stay with Him? Why the process of incarnation in the first place and the subsequent lifetimes to follow? How is that meant to benefit anyone, aside from giving us something to do to kill time?

Makes more sense, a parent is capable of loving you even when you reject them (as atheists do for instance).

But perhaps we commit a great injustice by projecting these anthropomorphic qualities onto him at all. Maybe calling him our Father/Mother is simply the best appraisal we could hope to offer, with our severely limited powers of speech, of something which is completely beyond our comprehension.

As for your question about transmigration of souls, I have no idea, I don't believe anyone does.