Lost Heritage - The Sikh Legacy In Pakistan

Guest Jacfsing2

During the reign of Maharaja Ranjit Singh, Sikhs were freely admitted into the his army. The HIndus in western Panjab, or north of Ravi let's say, used to raise their first son as a Sikh, or made them into a Sikh as this provided a fine income for the family. After the Khalsa Sarkar ended, this practice ended almost immediately.

Concerning the Khatris, whether Sikh or Hindu, the strength of varan between is very strong, so they will intermarry and such. This is not the same with other castes as much.

I'm sure only Guru Nanak Dev Ji himself can make anyone Sikh. I don't believe anyone else could.

And wat difference does a district majortiy make, wen villages themselves were split down the middle, let alone cities and then districts? muslims were also a single majority in amritsar too, but we killed enuff of them so radcliffe wouldnt award the holy city to crapistan. lahore and amritsar belong to the lahore division, n i wud hazard a guess, muslims may have been the majority in the lahore division district, but yet, the 2 sisters, lahore/amritsar were seperated.

sikhs should have and still should get lahore.

This is the author of the book "LOST HERITAGE : The Sikh Legacy in Pakistan".

I am really amused at the short sightedness of the members of this forum who without having opened a single page of the book, have jumpred to conclusion that this is a personal journey. Rise above Jatts, Bhappas, rich, poor, urban, non-urban, etc denominations that people are assuming.

This book is about exploration of the community's Sikh legacy as I could discover by travelling across Pakistan over 30 days. My research was not a personal search for my family's legacy but was for our community's legacy, to uncover which, 30 days are too short. It would require years of work to document the community's legacy and I am only providing what I was able to experience.

As for the comment that this is Potohar centric work, ignoring the canal colonies. Well are you not able to see the canals areas covered? What about the dots that show the research done in Multan, Sahiwal ((Montgomery), Pakpattan, Sheikhupura, Gurjranwala, Eminabad, Narowal?????

Why do the forum members ignore that it also delves into Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Pakistan Kashmir?

I hope with this clarification, your self created doubts are put to rest that this is a passion driven research into the vestiges of the Sikh community, notbiased by the myopic divisions of Bhapa, Jatt, Kattri, etc.

Rise above my friends and delve into the book before passing such strong judgments.

Scan the entire homepage of the books website to acquaint yourselves. www.lostheritagebook.com

This is the author of the book "LOST HERITAGE : The Sikh Legacy in Pakistan".

I am really amused at the short sightedness of the members of this forum who without having opened a single page of the book, have jumpred to conclusion that this is a personal journey. Rise above Jatts, Bhappas, rich, poor, urban, non-urban, etc denominations that people are assuming.

This book is about exploration of the community's Sikh legacy as I could discover by travelling across Pakistan over 30 days. My research was not a personal search for my family's legacy but was for our community's legacy, to uncover which, 30 days are too short. It would require years of work to document the community's legacy and I am only providing what I was able to experience.

As for the comment that this is Potohar centric work, ignoring the canal colonies. Well are you not able to see the canals areas covered? What about the dots that show the research done in Multan, Sahiwal ((Montgomery), Pakpattan, Sheikhupura, Gurjranwala, Eminabad, Narowal?????

Why do the forum members ignore that it also delves into Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Pakistan Kashmir?

I hope with this clarification, your self created doubts are put to rest that this is a passion driven research into the vestiges of the Sikh community, notbiased by the myopic divisions of Bhapa, Jatt, Kattri, etc.

Rise above my friends and delve into the book before passing such strong judgments.

Scan the entire homepage of the books website to acquaint yourselves. www.lostheritagebook.com

why is the book so expensive lol

It is printed on Art paper, coffee table books are not more than 250 pages and in this book one is packing 500 pages, like 2 coffee table books in one. Printed costs of this type hardbound cover itself is very expensive. That is why it seems expensive. The cheaper version is planned once this high quality print stock is sold, so the seed capital is recovered. At that point we plan to print in normal dirty paper in black and white photos, which should bring it less than Rs. 1000. Till then this lot will be premium priced.

It is prined on Art paper, coffee table books are not more than 250 pages and in this book one is packing 500 pages, like 2 coffee table books in one. Printed costs of this type hardbound cover itself is very expensive. That is why it seems expensive. The cheaper version is planned once this high quality print stock is sold, so the seed capital is recovered. At that point we plan to print in normal dirty paper in black and white photos, which should bring it less than Rs. 1000. Till then this lot will be premium priced.

ok i understand now thanks paaji

It is prined on Art paper, coffee table books are not more than 250 pages and in this book one is packing 500 pages, like 2 coffee table books in one. Printed costs of this type hardbound cover itself is very expensive. That is why it seems expensive. The cheaper version is planned once this high quality print stock is sold, so the seed capital is recovered. At that point we plan to print in normal dirty paper in black and white photos, which should bring it less than Rs. 1000. Till then this lot will be premium priced.

What the hell is "art paper" ?

Whats wrong with normal paper that every book in the world is printed on ? What shenanigans went on in that meeting between you and the publisher which led you to say "I demand my book is printed on special paper".

"All our books are printed on good paper", the publishers replied.

"Yeah but my book's special. I want it printed on special paper", you said.

" We don't have special paper", they said. "Perhaps you're thinking the rest of the world uses that pathetic low quality toilet roll standard paper that is in common use in India ?"

"Well I don't want that", you replied.

" So what you're saying is you want paper that is considered exotic for Indians but normal for the rest of the world ? " , they asked.

"Brilliant", said the unpaid intern. "As it will be something exotic and unusual for the Indians, and it will be mostly Indians who will be buying this book, we can make more money buy stressing the quality of paper"

"Great", said the publishers at the meeting. "But what shall we call this normal high standard of paper that everyone in the west takes for granted ?"

" I know", said the unpaid intern. "Lets call it Art Paper"

What the hell is "art paper" ?

Whats wrong with normal paper that every book in the world is printed on ? What shenanigans went on in that meeting between you and the publisher which led you to say "I demand my book is printed on special paper".

"All our books are printed on good paper", the publishers replied.

"Yeah but my book's special. I want it printed on special paper", you said.

" We don't have special paper", they said. "Perhaps you're thinking the rest of the world uses that pathetic low quality toilet roll standard paper that is in common use in India ?"

"Well I don't want that", you replied.

" So what you're saying is you want paper that is considered exotic for Indians but normal for the rest of the world ? " , they asked.

"Brilliant", said the unpaid intern. "As it will be something exotic and unusual for the Indians, and it will be mostly Indians who will be buying this book, we can make more money buy stressing the quality of paper"

"Great", said the publishers at the meeting. "But what shall we call this normal high standard of paper that everyone in the west takes for granted ?"

" I know", said the unpaid intern. "Lets call it Art Paper"

Jagsaw Singh, If you do not know aything about publishing of illustrated books, then I request ask the questions to increase your awareness, versus coming up with such a graphic descriptive language.

Art paper is the normal paper for coffee table / illustrated book printing. This is not a text print alone but is a photographic work. When a 4 color print of pictures is to be adopted then the paper has to be this quality at minimum. This is a book with 523 pictures interspersed with 50,000 words of text and 14 maps. Hence the 130 gsm art paper is the lowest weight dimension of the color print paper that has been used to present the 4 color print quality of the photos. As I have said, this book has 500 pages. Normally coffee table books come only in 200 - 300 pages, so essentially 2 books are being packed into one. The weight of the book is over 2.6 Kg, which is very heavy. The pricing includes wroldwide shipment, which is at USD 25-USD 30 for a 3 kg packet to UK or USA (including packaging), that mean the book actual sale price is USD 80. Now got to amazon.com and search for illustrated similar quality illustrated coffee table books, which are all less than 300 pages and compare their prices with the price of LOST HERITAGE and you will hopefully appreciate that this book is being retailed at a very reasonable price. Links of the books at amazon can be seen below. Surely in sometime to come this book is planned to be printed in a cheaper quality paper, but that will change its dimension and the photo quality will drop substantially, probably being only in black and white, only then can the the price come down by 50% but that will happen only in the future.

When the book is launched in India, it will be retailed through amazon.com India website at around USD 80, as the worldwide shipping will not apply. At this point the pre-orders are being accepted through www.lostheritagebook.com for worldwide shipments only, outside of India.

Go to following liks as sample to increase your understanding of what one means by illustrated books in which 4 color photo printing is used and their pricing. Compare the priicng of these books that half less than 300 pages with that of LOST HERITAGE that has 500 pages.

http://www.amazon.in/Gurdwaras-India-Around-World-Patwant/dp/B0095HGGMK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443140979&sr=8-1&keywords=patwant+singh+Gurdwara

http://www.amazon.com/Warrior-Saints-Centuries-Military-History/dp/0956016855/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443140416&sr=8-1&keywords=amandeep+madra

http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Temple-Amritsar-Reflections-1808-1959/dp/0956016812/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1443140416&sr=8-3&keywords=amandeep+madra

http://www.amazon.com/Warrior-Saints-Centuries-Military-Tradition/dp/1860644902/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1443140416&sr=8-2&keywords=amandeep+madra