The Ritual Of Throwing Flowers On Guru Sahib

khalsaman1

Gur Fateh Ji,

I apologize if I offend anyone in this post but I find this practice quite irritating. Could someone please explain the ritual behind throwing flowers on Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji?

I understand that those who favor this deem it a sign of respect. However we as Sikhs are to respect all of Wahegurus beings. How does Waheguru feel about humans plucking flowers?

Bhagat Kabir Ji states:

ਆਸਾ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਕਬੀਰ ਜੀਉ ਕੇ ਪੰਚਪਦੇ ਦੁਤੁਕੇ

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ

ਪਾਤੀ ਤੋਰੈ ਮਾਲਿਨੀ ਪਾਤੀ ਪਾਤੀ ਜੀਉ ਜਿਸੁ ਪਾਹਨ ਕਉ ਪਾਤੀ ਤੋਰੈ ਸੋ ਪਾਹਨ ਨਿਰਜੀਉ ॥੧॥

ਭੂਲੀ ਮਾਲਨੀ ਹੈ ਏਉ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਜਾਗਤਾ ਹੈ ਦੇਉ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ

ਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਪਾਤੀ ਬਿਸਨੁ ਡਾਰੀ ਫੂਲ ਸੰਕਰਦੇਉ ਤੀਨਿ ਦੇਵ ਪ੍ਰਤਖਿ ਤੋਰਹਿ ਕਰਹਿ ਕਿਸ ਕੀ ਸੇਉ ॥੨॥

ਪਾਖਾਨ ਗਢਿ ਕੈ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਕੀਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੀ ਦੇ ਕੈ ਛਾਤੀ ਪਾਉ ਜੇ ਏਹ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਸਾਚੀ ਹੈ ਤਉ ਗੜ੍ਹਣਹਾਰੇ ਖਾਉ ॥੩॥

ਭਾਤੁ ਪਹਿਤਿ ਅਰੁ ਲਾਪਸੀ ਕਰਕਰਾ ਕਾਸਾਰੁ ਭੋਗਨਹਾਰੇ ਭੋਗਿਆ ਇਸੁ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਕੇ ਮੁਖ ਛਾਰੁ ॥੪॥

ਮਾਲਿਨਿ ਭੂਲੀ ਜਗੁ ਭੁਲਾਨਾ ਹਮ ਭੁਲਾਨੇ ਨਾਹਿ ਕਹੁ ਕਬੀਰ ਹਮ ਰਾਮ ਰਾਖੇ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਕਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਰਾਇ ॥੫॥੧॥੧੪॥

Our Gurus used to plant gardens and gardens of flowers. I think most of us have heard the sakhi of young Sri Guru Har Rai Ji accidentally plucking a flower while going for a walk with grandfather Sri Guru Har Gobind Ji,

I cannot be convinced that plucking flowers and showering them on Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is pleasing to Waheguru.

Someone please explain to this moorakh.

Thanks.

ਸੰਖਨ ਕੀ ਧੁਨ ਘੰਟਨ ਕੀ ਕਰਿ ਫੂਲਨ ਕੀ ਬਰਖਾ ਬਰਖਾਵੈਂ ॥

Saankhana Kee Dhuna Ghaanttana Kee Kari Phoolana Kee Barakhaa Barakhaaviaaʼn ॥

संखन की धुन घंटन की करि फूलन की बरखा बरखावैं ॥

With the sound of conches and gongs, they are causing the rain of flowers.

2 ਦਸਮ ਗਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਪੰਨਾ ੧੯੦ ਪੰ. ੨

I'm not sure this is a justification but SWAIYA is sung during Aarti

http://searchgurbani.com/scriptures/ds_page/190/line/5

Sikhi has many aspects. And sometimes they dont resonate really well. Like saint and soldier. A saint would never retaliate or intervene, he would think everything is gods hukam. A soldier would resort to weapons as a first means for any problem. Balance is key, one has to determine when to be what.

So here,the concept of treating nature as containing gods light and the concept of treating our guru as the highest king are at odds. Flowers and the best most beautiful things are offered to our guru, such as honey,ivory,milk, and silks,kasthoor and kesar. Most of these things are taken away from animals and trees, sometimes forcibly. But these are the things offered to royalty. So why wouldnt we offer to guruji?

Some people get upset when milk/yogurt is used to wash takhats and nishaan sahibs. Because they believe it is a waste of food.

I think it depends on an individuals' sharda. If u are offering out of respect and love, it will be accepted. If u are having doubts about it being moral, dont do it. But also dont try to stop others from doing it. As they are doing it for the right reasons.

Myself, Ive found, whatever we do for the guru will never be wrong. He will accept it and make it right. For example, we had a drought, but because guru sahib was coming to our house, we had to wash all our verandahs, windows, and driveway. I felt really guilty and bad for wasting water on just cleaning. But the next day, when guru ji came, it rained out of nowhere in the summer, but only for a little while. Just enough to replenish what we had used, i thought. So from then on,i never doubt anything that is done for guruji. To show him respect or love.

Also, ive learned that if u want ur rosebushes to flower all year long, just cut the flowers. Then the plant will keep producing flowers to make seeds. If u dont cut flowers, the plant only flowers once, the petals fall off, and it forms rosehips which has seeds. So a lot of people cut flowers to keep roses on rose plants. Also, what of people who sell flowers for a living? Mostly thats where sikhs buy them from for throwing.

But u are right, slowly the new generation should stop phasing out these old tradtitions that are not environmentally friendly. Or have no use like washing with milk. We shouldnt stop older generation from doing it. Just dont do it ourselves. And it will phase out.

Very informative post. Thanks so much veerji.

• 6 years later...