Should Sikhs support Ramgarhia Gurdwara ?

singhbj singh

Guest Jacfsing2

Can someone explain the context caste-based in the U.K. Daas isn't from there and in America there hasn't been a single caste-based Gurdwara, (from limited knowledge)? Do these Gurdwaras have the name of their caste in the Gurdwara names or is it just a Gurdwara where most people belong to a certain caste. (Add to that why is it only Ramgharias with their own Gurdwaras and not Jatts or Khatri Sikhs both of these groups are bigger than the Ramgharia Sikh population?)

43 minutes ago, Jacfsing2 said:

Can someone explain the context caste-based in the U.K. Daas isn't from there and in America there hasn't been a single caste-based Gurdwara, (from limited knowledge)? Do these Gurdwaras have the name of their caste in the Gurdwara names or is it just a Gurdwara where most people belong to a certain caste. (Add to that why is it only Ramgharias with their own Gurdwaras and not Jatts or Khatri Sikhs both of these groups are bigger than the Ramgharia Sikh population?)

I only know of the Ramgharia Gurdwara in Woolwich Arsenal , when I was a kid it was the only gurdwara there and all sangat went there , I think the history was the Ramgharias originally set it up but all the people used to go , it was and still is very friendly and sewa minded . Later The Jatts finding objection to the title of the Gurdwara decided to buy out an old Church in Woolwich and make a seperate gurdwara ...to us it seemed mental even though our bazurg were from that section of society. To my family and my mind it seemed insulting to Guru ji to put vandian like that ...they could have just said can we change the name to honour Guru ji instead , but I guess the golak was calling . Recently I went back to both and I must say that sangat lost out on that original closeness it had in the old joint sangat.  

2 hours ago, singhbj singh said:

I came across jobs available at Ramgarhia Gurdwara but am not sure whether to publish them here.

Should we encourage job seekers to join such communal organisations ?

It is not necessarily true they are against others ...need to know their attitude on case by case basis 

• 2 weeks later...

Traditionally Ramgarhia is not a caste it was the name of a Khalsa Misl, who's most famous leader happened to be from a family of carpenters Jassa Singh Ramgarhia, although the Misl has also had leaders prior to Jassa Singh who were from other castes.

The Misl itself had members from all different backgrounds. "Those of the fort of Guru Raamdaas" is the translation of the word Ramgarhia. There was a Ramgarhia Bungah at Harmandar Sahib as The Misl was appointed by Dal Khalsa as one of the 3 misls tasked with defending Harmandar Sahib. There was also a Ramgarhia bungah at Takht Sri Hazur Sahib which amongst other historically valuable buildings was demolished recently at the 300 years celebrations instead of being restored and preserved.

These days the majority of people associated to the Ramgarhia community are those of the skilled trades carpenters/tharkaans, metal workers / lohars, etc etc. 

21 minutes ago, Cisco_Singh said:

Traditionally Ramgarhia is not a caste it was the name of a Khalsa Misl, who's most famous leader happened to be from a family of carpenters Jassa Singh Ramgarhia, although the Misl has also had leaders prior to Jassa Singh who were from other castes.

The Misl itself had members from all different backgrounds. "Those of the fort of Guru Raamdaas" is the translation of the word Ramgarhia. There was a Ramgarhia Bungah at Harmandar Sahib as The Misl was appointed by Dal Khalsa as one of the 3 misls tasked with defending Harmandar Sahib. There was also a Ramgarhia bungah at Takht Sri Hazur Sahib which amongst other historically valuable buildings was demolished recently at the 300 years celebrations instead of being restored and preserved.

These days the majority of people associated to the Ramgarhia community are those of the skilled trades carpenters/tharkaans, metal workers / lohars, etc etc. 

What is the relevance of misl in present time ?

Are we uniting or dividing Sikhs !

Guest Jacfsing2
53 minutes ago, singhbj singh said:

What is the relevance of misl in present time ?

Are we uniting or dividing Sikhs !

Cisco is right on the literal meaning of Ramgharia, those from the house of (Guru) Ram Das.

It's not just Ramgarhia Gurdwara, there are vacancies at Guru Ravidas Sabha.

Why do people address Bhagat Ravidas ji as Guru ?

There is no difference in Satkaar between Guru & Bhagat.

Based on their spiritual path, Mahapurakhs were bestowed title of Bhagat, Guru, Bhaat and so on.

There should be no inferiority complex amongst Bhagat Ravidas ji's followers in regards to title.

Guest Jacfsing2
59 minutes ago, singhbj singh said:

It's not just Ramgarhia Gurdwara, there are vacancies at Guru Ravidas Sabha.

Why do people address Bhagat Ravidas ji as Guru ?

There is no difference in Satkaar between Guru & Bhagat.

Based on their spiritual path, Mahapurakhs were bestowed title of Bhagat, Guru, Bhaat and so on.

There should be no inferiority complex amongst Bhagat Ravidas ji's followers in regards to title.

While Ramgharias are actually Sikh, Ravidassia are not. Also they aren't actually followers of Ravidas, but rather Chamar Supremacy and Chamar Hinduism. (You can tell especially since they worship a huge idol of Ravidas, when he was clearly against idol worship).