Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
puzzled

Lahore: Maharaja Ranjit Singh statue vandalised

Recommended Posts

 

https://www.dawn.com/news/1499336

Raja Ranjit Singh's statue vandalised in Lahore

Imran GabolUpdated August 13, 2019
Two men arrested for vandalism say they were religiously motivated towards the act. — Photo courtesy Twitter.
Two men arrested for vandalism say they were religiously motivated towards the act. — Photo courtesy Twitter.

Two men allegedly vandalised a statue of Punjab’s ruler Raja Ranjit Singh placed near his grave in Shahi Qila, Lahore.

The incident occurred on Saturday when the Qila had been routinely opened for visitors.

Two men — one pretending to have a leg disability carrying a wooden rod and another "helping him to walk" — entered the Qila.

Both men went straight to the statue and started hitting it with the wooden rods, resulting in the breakage of one of its arms and damage to other parts of the statue.

ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER AD

Security guards rushed to the spot and captured the attackers who were chanting slogans against the former rule of the Punjab.

Later, the attackers were handed over to the police, who registered a case against them on the complaint of Walled City Authority.

Superintendent of Police (SP) Syed Ghazanfar Shah told Dawn that the attackers were motivated and vandalised the statue "on the basis of religious biases".

He said that investigation revealed that the attackers were claiming to be reincarnations of Sultan Mehmood Ghaznavi — a famous warrior in South Asian history.

He said the attackers were of the view that its against their religion to erect a statue in a Muslim country and they would repeat the act if the authorities did not remove it.

The statue of Singh was unveiled at the Lahore Fort, at the Mai Jinda’s Haveli, on June 27 — the warrior's 180th death anniversary.

The nine feet tall statue, made of cold bronze, showed the regal Sikh emperor sitting on a horse, sword in hand, complete in Sikh attire.

Edited by puzzled

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well,  it was only a matter of time.   Wouldn't be surprised if there's more to come   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Redoptics said:

Yeah what do people expect and what grave? He shouldn't have a grave 

yh   i was only thinking the other day that its only a matter of time that theres gnna be an incident involving jihaddis/islamists and the sikh yatrees.   all the love and hugs is just on the surface.  Islam does not and never will allow a growing presence of another faith, its against what islam stands for.

by grave they mean samadhi which is basically like a memorial/tomb. In those days powerful/rich sikhs used to have a tomb/samadhi built for themselves. M ranjit singhs samadhi has his ashes in it.   

thats his samadhi/tomb  

Image result for ranjit singh samadhi

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, puzzled said:

yh   i was only thinking the other day that its only a matter of time that theres gnna be an incident involving jihaddis/islamists and the sikh yatrees.   all the love and hugs is just on the surface.  Islam does not and never will allow a growing presence of another faith, its against what islam stands for.

by grave they mean samadhi which is basically like a memorial/tomb. In those days powerful/rich sikhs used to have a tomb/samadhi built for themselves. M ranjit singhs samadhi has his ashes in it.   

thats his samadhi/tomb  

Image result for ranjit singh samadhi

 

Didn't know we were allowed to have Tombs 

Edited by Redoptics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Redoptics said:

Didn't know we were allowed to have Tombs 

a lot of the prominent Sikhs from the empire have tombs

heres nawab kapur singhs and jassa singh ramgharias in amritsar

b13949857642.jpg 

 

general sham singh attaris near amrtisar 

Related image

 

akali phoola singh has one crumbling in pakistan

Image result for sham singh attari samadhi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, puzzled said:

a lot of the prominent Sikhs from the empire have tombs

heres nawab kapur singhs and jassa singh ramgharias in amritsar

b13949857642.jpg 

 

general sham singh attaris near amrtisar 

Related image

 

akali phoola singh has one crumbling in pakistan

Image result for sham singh attari samadhi

Your talking about empires not Gurus I will respect the emperors does not mean they are correct

Edited by Redoptics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Redoptics said:

Your talking about empires not Gurus I will respect the emperors does not mean they are correct

yh i dont agree with tombs lol     but simply for their historical and architectural value they should be preserved lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, puzzled said:

yh i dont agree with tombs lol     but simply for their historical and architectural value they should be preserved lol 

Why does it even matter ? When we can't even preserve sikhi

Edited by Redoptics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Redoptics said:

What does it matter when can't even preserve sikhi

its important to preserve heritage, heritage is part of your history and story as a people. its a part of our roots. these places are the last remains of the empire that we once used to have. 

disagree with not preserving sikhi. people who live the lifestyle of gurmukhs are preserving sikhi through their day to day lives, no matter where in the world they are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, puzzled said:

its important to preserve heritage, heritage is part of your history and story as a people. its a part of our roots. these places are the last remains of the empire that we once used to have. 

disagree with not preserving sikhi. people who live the lifestyle of gurmukhs are preserving sikhi through their day to day lives, no matter where in the world they are. 

No history goes in an eye blink when was the last time you heard of the German wall ? Since it fell? Never,  it's all in the moment,  we can't even get 5 Panj Pyare together,  I mean proper Gursikh , you got to remember real Gursikhs, Guru Ji bowed to.

 

Edited by Redoptics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Redoptics said:

No history goes in an eye blink when was the last time you heard of the German wall ? Since it fell? Never,  it's all in the moment,  we can't even get 5 Panj Pyare together,  I mean proper Gursikh , you got to remember real Gursikhs, Guru Ji bowed to.

 

thats why Europeans have no culture, they have abandoned their culture, history and church. europe is fast becoming atheist and produces more porn than any other place. 

history is our roots, forget your history then you forget your roots.  thats why listening to ithias is part of our religion.

these crumbling buildings are also a part of our history, of the empire that we once used to have. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should have no culture,  punjabi is a culture , you dont seem to understand culture and history,  however in saying what I'm saying,  there are Gudwaras we need to hold on to only those the Gurus went to because touching those steps you will learn from.

But anyone else their stuff is theirs let it go .

Edited by Redoptics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



  • Topics

  • Posts

    • This isn't new news.  Personally I think until Panjab gets itself straightened out (despite all the ill will -  internal and external) we're only going to see more of this type of stuff.
    • I used to try and raise my children the way my parents raised me and my siblings, I was failing miserably, I was given a reality check by my mother when I was complaining to her (one of many times) about my children's behavior, she reminded me that the way they raised is was appropriate for that time and that method isn't going to work today, there's no right way of raising your children, you do what you think is best for them, you promise yourself you won't make the mistakes your parent's made with you (in your opinion that is). You don't sound like a bad parent, your son doesn't sound like a bad child but sometimes our circumstances change which put us in situations that end up like yours, you've tried your level best and left the ball in his court so now it's up to him, as long as you've told him that the door is always open you have done the right thing. If you have other children I would concentrate on them and make sure this whole thing isn't affecting them to a point where it becomes an issue.
    • Is this how we want our bretheren to live ? https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fruit-pickers-fight-back-at-italian-mafia-slave-farms-pznnhrfzq?fbclid=IwAR2PTrOQhMmEFpwOiWppvZ4hbQkq16zKKr0Gl2k8kJGkbRuMPwOle5y2E38
    • they are the ones who started the little metal kirpan on the kangha , maybe somebody should explain to them you cannot do ifazat of anyone with your kanga...
    • Sat Sri Akaal.  So for late reply.  Yes search up searchgurbani.com. Once there select the 3 line (options) on top right corner of page. Select your Granth (Dasam Granth). Then if u want English / Punjabi index. ALL BAANIAS will appear. Select Att Chandi Charitr.  NOTE: Dasam Granth here is much better than getting an app, especially for translation. 
×

Important Information

Terms of Use