Do Sikhs donate enough?

Big_Tera

Sikhs seems happy to splurge on designer clothing, cars and materialistic things. Even excess buying of expensive takeaways. Many times we even buy this food from muslim owned shops.

Yet we never think about donating to Sikh charities and good causes 

If we look at Muslims they are known for giving huge amounts to their faith based charity. Many of these charities are missionary type. Where they use the money to distribute leaflets ect. 

Yet Sikhs wont even donate 1 pence to organisations like basics of Sikhi. 

Why don't we donate enough? Is it due to not trusting where are money will go. Or are we cheap skates?

Where I work, in the UK, 40% of my income goes to taxes (NI and PAYE) and pension. That’s quite a chunk and means there’s even less to donate. But I pay a small amount to BoS and to SAS because they are important. 

I know some wealthy Sikhs will donate large sums and often make a grand gesture of it. But for most who earn an average amount even daswandh or 10% goes beyond affordability. 

Every few months, a new charity will knock on my door asking me to sign up. They’ve moved away from one-off donations to subscriptions. Both BoS and SAS do this but I don’t think it’s heavily pushed or promoted. 

9 hours ago, puzzled said:

I donate monthly to the british sikh council.  They help sikligar sikhs and build houses and gurdware for them and also help with jobs and education. You can see their videos online. 

It's good to help in anyway. Does not need to be a regular subscription. But as a one off. Every little helps. 

We waste so much money on things we don't need. When we can donate to a worthy charity.