At the Rep today...

Singh_Shiromani

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offence my veer's and phenjis but I would like to add my two pence worth in.

The protest yesterday was intended to be a peaceful protest - however, following some Jaikarey, and five Chaupay Sahib Paath, it became apparent that our peace was going to get us no-where.

Organisers of the protest have tried all week to communicate through words, letters, petitions etc with the B'ham Rep and West Mids Police, however, this took us no where.

Members of the rep stood back and laughed in our faces, knowing that our peaceful protest wasn't getting us anywhere. The show was going ahead.

It's a crying shame that 'storming the play' was the only way for it to be stopped - but it had to be done. Those who were at the event will know that it was a must. I do not condone violence. But for someone to taint the home of my Guru and then laugh about it in our faces - that really is behzti.

It wasn't just a group of over charged young sikh's either - it was the majority of young and old who were present, all those who stood in the cold, japping naam, and asking Maharaj to help them - the josh came from out of no where, and things had to happen. Criminal Damage was the only thing I did not agree with, however, asking whether we acheived our goal - yes indeed. The play was stopped. Our goal was to have the plays setting changed to a community centre, however, having it stopped was even better.

The press have obviously glorified it somewhat also. Yes, Sikh's did try and storm the play, but what about the Sikh's who have been outside the rep everyday this week? Peacefully protesting. What about the sikh's who were arrested beca

use their face was covered with a scarf - because it was cold - what is that about?? Was this the only way that we could get the issue into the public press?? It seems so...

Even Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj themseleves have said, when all other means have failed, then it is righteous for one to draw his sword - Khalsa ji, all other means had failed.

We cannot stand back and watch these things go ahead anymore. This isn't anyone else's Sikhi, it's yours and mine and we have got to take a stand.

For those who read the news reports and made up their minds - seriously, you wouldn't know unless you were there. Please don't start taking it out on those Sikh's who felt it their duty to fight for their Sikhi - I have the utmost respect for them - why? Because it shows that My Guru's Sahib's Kurbania where not given for the sake it. The Khalsa will forever be in chardi kala.

This is a copy of one of the flyer being disrtibuted all week at the peaceful protests and on saturday;

SIKHS DISHONOURED BY

BIRMINGHAM REPERTORY THEATRE

Any institute, religious or otherwise, is open to corruption, abuse and political ambition. Like other faith based institutes who have recently come into public focus, the Sikh institute is on different. A minority rogue often attempts to distract the main stage of an institutes’ mission.

To stage a play about the corruption of its institute is always welcomed by the Sikh faith, as it welcomes debate, reform and criticism, so that it improves its practice along the lines as stated by our Gurus.

We do not have a problem with this.

However there are some moral issues within each community’s religious sphere that provokes intense reaction from the community. In the Sikh community, rape and molestation of women leads to immediate isolation of an individual from the religious sphere. This is because there is a well established principle of equality in Sikh religion (even if not always practiced in the private family sphere) and women have always had equal and free access to religious institutions. Indeed the current president of the most powerful Sikh religious body in India is a woman. It is to guard the free access of women to religious institutions that the Sikh religious community takes abrupt action against any degrading treatment of women in a religious institution.

To stage a play around such a feature in a Sikh religious institution not only shows ignorance of the community, but a deliberate attempt to be offensive and sensationalist for

the sake of it. It is a theme imported from a different culture and a different life experience, desperately and dysfunctionally exploited in a play to seek approval from the white arts establishment which subtly imposes its racism in the name of ‘artistic licence’ with the funds of the public

The problem we have with the production of Behzti by Birmingham Rep theatre is how it has set out, at the outset to be ‘controversial’ for the sake of being sensationalist and in the process offending the sensibilities of some deeply religious members of the Birmingham community which The Rep supposedly serves and is substantially funded by.

The Play, Behzti is a social drama dealing with hypocrisy of cultural standards. However it is set in a Gurudwara (Sikh temple), which by its nature becomes the major statement of the play. The two characters who are representatives of the Gurudwara – the Chairperson of the Committee and a Giani (Priest) are pivotal characters in the play, the first characterized as a rogue element and the second characterized for comedic effects. Whilst the Chairperson justifiably meets his demise and we applaud it, it is the caricature element of the Giani that we have major issues with. He is portrayed as being irresponsible and out of depth of the principles he is supposedly preaching. Therefore the two representatives of the Gurudwara are depicted in a negative sensibility. They are from the same side of the coin and therefore serve no purpose with each other, except and we see no other option but to reach this conclusion, - that it serves the production’s intent to demonise the Sikh institute. Through neither of these characters do we learn anything about the Sikh religion or the Gurudwaras established principles, thereby making the point of exposing the hypocrisy wholly worthless. The rogue-ish element is never confronted from within the values of Sikh principles.

Even, the resolution of the play comes from an equally rogu-ish element; the

character who takes the final action to end the reign of the corrupt official, is driven by the action of the withdrawal of the contract for her sons to build the extension to the Gurudwara, and not by any moralistic position.

So why set this play in a Gurudwara.? Do we learn that this corruption is a minority element in the Sikh institute? Do we learn that there are within the institute, campaigns and efforts to reform against this minority? Has the writer researched that, due to the religious laws of the UK, places of worship are forced to operate and regulated by charity laws, and are dictated by these laws, to create systems of management which can be open to external rogue elements and are in fact against Sikh principles? (which the Sikhs and other minority religions are vigorously campaigning against)

Is the play using cheap sensationalism to offend religious sensibility to attract controversy? A play that has little research and even less relation to fringe reality.

Most religious sensitive audiences who have seen the play have been offended by the play’s depiction of the Sikh religion, This is fast becoming a sizeable reaction. But we have yet to be met with an apology from Birmingham Rep, who appear to be relishing in the snobbery of white established theatre.

The play says more about the arts establishment which continues to use public funds to promote offensive productions on minorities in the name of art. Writers from minority communities who have little knowledge of their own communities but are willing to write highly offensive material continue to be sought by the white arts establishment. Is this not racism?

sikhthetruth@yahoo.co.uk

Please send letters of complaint to:

Rt Hon. Tessa Jowell MP

Secretary of State

Department for Culture, Media & Sport

2-4 Cockspur Street, London, SW1Y 5DH

enquiries@culture.gov.uk

Rt. Hon Est

elle Morris MP

Minister for the Arts

Department for Culture, Media & Sport

2-4 Cockspur Street, London, SW1Y 5DH

enquiries@culture.gov.uk

Sir Christopher Frayling

Chairman

Arts Council England

Care of:

GaryGrant@artscouncil.org.uk

Cllr Mike Whitby

Leader

Birmingham City Council

Mike.Whitby@birmingham.gov.uk

Lin Homer

Chief Executive

Birmingham City Council

Lin.Homer@birmingham.gov.uk

Andy Allan

Chair of Directors Birmingham Repertory Theatre

Care of:

info@birmingham-rep.co.uk

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

can i just say i dont think there could've been a better person than Mohan Singh to be there issuing the statements to the police. Fantastic.

Sorry VeerJee, is this a sarcastic comment? Who is Mohan Singh, for those of us not aware of the leaders in the Midlands?

Fateh

no no no

not sarcasm. Mohan Singh jee does seva mainly with Stratford Road Gurdwara in Sparkhill Birmingham. Hes the main man there and does a lot of one - on - one seva with the sangat that go there as well as the community on the whole in that area... and its the hardest area to operate in too because its mainly a Muslim populated area. He also goes everywhere worldwide with various different projects. Does talks to local communities too about Sikh awareness and definitely is one of the best people to have as a spokesperson for the Sikh youth generation. He was well spoken on bbc news and really represented the youth in a positive manner.

A MASSIVE WELL DONE to ALL concerned in the protests- keep up the good work

for those of us on the fax, email, etc. front email the eforementioned email addresses and give feedback on media articles:

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,3000...3267457,00.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/england/west_m...nds/4104139.stm

enough respect to the archbishop of brum

email every councillor of brum : :wub:

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/GenerateConte...s&MENU_ID=13352

fax every local MP in the uk and get them involved :wub:

http://www.faxyourmp.com/

contact all the REP's sponsors and let them know the type of intolerant people they sponsor:

http://www.birmingham-rep.co.uk/core_asp/s...sponsorship.asp

Jo boleee soo nihhhaaaallaaa

Saaattt Srrriiii Aakkkaaalllaaa

Singhs who were aressted have been released on bail.

source: national Radio News

wat do u say about, the rep saying "blatent censorship"

police will meet management of rep,

then Sikh community.

bbc says on TV Broadcast: represents general Sikh sommunity not conntent but placing in place of worship.

Rep keeps saying Censorship, police says it would be sensible to close down show, they will se wat comes of meeting tommorrow.

SSA all,

Great job brothers and sisters are doing... chardi kala!

I'm just sorry I couldnt be there to lend my support in person but those who attent the vigil have my full backing and of many people I know from all parts of UK who are know hearing this story.

Perhaps some legal advice should be sought in regards to the actions of the police if they indeed arrest people just for having scarf's around their faces...... because that would mean that the UK is becoming a police state..... which now one who loves freedom and democracy can tolerate.

Those who attend....please take video and digital camera's to record the events and the actions of the police and secruity services. And remember not to do anything stupid and just make sure our side of the story is heard via good PR media coverage in a world full of anti-sikh elements looking to make sensational news stories.