At the Rep today...

Singh_Shiromani

Regarding leadership, those leaders who were trying to 'control' the events of the other day, have no influence on the youth, who arrange and managed the protests over the last week.

These leaders turned up on Saturday, and attempted to take control, as if the protest we organised by them. Already Seva Singh Mandla name has already been brought up, i was also like to add that apart from Mohan Singh no other 'leaders' had any creditability, this includes those so call leaders that arrived from the smethwick area. You know who I’m talking about.

Forget these old leaders they are just there to profit from the blood split by the youth

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no offence to the previous responders to this thread but i think when it comes to these issues - i agree we need leaders that can better lead us, speak to the media, etc. However the simple fact remains until you provide a better alternative and walk like you talk by taking up those kursees then they still going to be in power. Secondly whilst we don't walk like we talk and leave them in power then we need to encourage them by any and all means possible to do as the youth want them to. I agree Mohan Singh has done an absolutely fantastic job!

However using the opportunity to have a dig at certain people at smethwick is a bit cheap as when it come to the crunch it is better to have some singhs from smethwick and elsewhere standing beside you than have no unity and have in-fighting as per usual between all our various jathas, groups and all that and have nobody standing next to you.

Youth- it aint a question of cuss this leader or the other- if you want the kursees then take them if you got the bottle and support

But either way when it comes to crunch time and a protest is required for hecks sake stand united and those jokers that have their in-fighting including leaders should be left to it whilst you take a stand

i don't mean to cause offence to nobody especially as y'all are my more learned brothers and sisters but peoples stop shooting yourselves in the foot

Peace

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

I agree completely with sikhlionz previous post. We are often very quick to criticise our elders, but when it is time to take responsibility, the youth often shy away. This is not only in relation to this specific issue, as I am not aware 100% of the internal mechanisms and interactions between the elders and the youth in this case. Therefore please don't take any offence by my comments. But generally, I see it in Gurdware across the country (including and in particular my local), the youth have a view point which they express (even vehemently when they have to), but this is always in the background.

When the elders tell them to come into the Gurudwara committee and influence decision making etc., they always run away, for two reasons it seems. Firstly, they don't want to get involved in the deep-rooted politics which is unfortunately prevalent in many Gurdware, and secondly, they'd rather criticise others from the outside and suggest goals but no solutions. Also, they do not want to take any responsibility in the time-consuming day-to-day seva which running Gurudwares requires.

Generally speaking, our elders may not be perfect, but they have much dedication and pyaar to do seva, and we should not forget this. Rather, we should work constructively with them to strengthen this further. Therefore, more youth representation is required in Gurdware, since Gurdware are the main platforms from which Sikhi parchaar can be done, and from which resources for parchaar can be attained. Even if the

youth are not necessarily Pardhaan (President) or Stage Sakattar (Secretary), one way forward could be to have youth Sabhas in each town, which can put forward a united voice on behalf of the youth as to what is required. This would also put pressure on the elders to listen to the youth voice. I think Young Sikhs Leicester is a good example of this, provided that it operates inclusively for all the youth and attempts to be as broad-based as possible.

Finally, for the future, pls all youth, let's not make the same mistakes as elders, and form Dhare or parties amongst us. I know it might seem surprising, especially for us "educated" British Sikhs. However, this does seem to be happening in some circumstances. Please lets all us Sikhs stay united and Chardikala. pray.gifpray.gif

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Fateh

OK where ever the play is held their will be protests that is not a problem, but they have to remain peaceful this time!!! Make them as vocal as you like but encourage others not to fall into the trap of provocation by those who might have anti-Sikh designs.

I agree that our elders have done their best and continue to do so. But it is real high time that we put that a strong media front so that people like those TV presenters, editors and writers dont paint our community in a negative light.