Origin of Punjabi Word 'Gence'

Guest Jigsaw_Puzzled_Singh

8 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

I never implied it literally meant barely human. According to the diagram you posted with the hierarchy of species and types, it clearly shows Genus ranked among other types of beings, Human being one of the closest kinds. So, if Gence is an obscure derivative of the Latin Genus, then the Punjabi insult makes sense, i.e. you're a different species close to human but not quite. ?

lol

Guest jigsaw_puzzled-singh
7 hours ago, AjeetSingh2019 said:

I am surprised no one understood the root of the word. 

Its related to the biological word (latin, as most are)  : GENUS 

GENUS is a level above species. Two species within a genus can interbreed, for example : horse and donkey, tiger and lion, and so on

but above GENUS , differences become too different 

GENUS therefore is a latin (indo-european) word for "family" or something closely related 

Yes , my mom also used to perojatively use this word for me when I would be too prankster as a kid ?

but it just means "something of a kind" 

edit --

biological nomenclature of species name follows the format : <genus_name> <species_name>

so "Homo Sapiens" , we're sapiens within the homo genus, neanderthals were another species within Homo . Homo Erectus were other species but all belonging to Homo genus, hence possibly did interbreed in remote past

? The only 'surprise' dear ajeet singh punjabi, is that you call yourself Punjabi in your name and yet you didn't know that Punjab was once a hellanized part of the world (Greek culture and language) and instead, thought the Latin speaking Romans once roamed the back-streets of Jalandhar. What are you like ajeet ? ?

Seriously now though....I think the Punjabis go wrong in that they place too much influence on Alexander the Great thinking he was the sum of all things hellanized in Punjab. The truth however, is the Alexander's exploits in Punjab are the smallest of all the Greek influences. The hellanized aspect goes way beyond the mere presence of Alexander. It's mark on the language spoken in Punjab was immense. That got broken up a little bit as persian Farsi gained ground but remnants of the Greek spoken in Punjab do still remain....such as the word for a young girl - 'Kuri' and perhaps Gence ?

1 hour ago, MisterrSingh said:

You're being a pukki gence today. ?

lol. some another phrases my mom would use  :

"loka de nyaane hathi laa ke pairi bujhande fir de aa" 

"loka de nyaane hatha teh saro jamaunde fir de aa"

"nyaane ajj kal de padh de ne ki hadh de ne" ?