Asia battles earthquake

Mahavir

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waheguru ji!

You could also donate clothes, blankets etc. to your local charity shop for the victims of this terrible occurrence; they usually have collections for such essential items. Please make sure any second-hand stuff is in good condition. Bibi Balwant Kaur Ji (MBE) of Bebe Nanaki Charitable Trust went personally with a jatha doing aidwork like this in a previous natural disaster. I don't think they'll be doing it this time though since she is still recovering from illness.

Maharaaj kirpa karan. pray.gif

Guest Lohgarh Singh

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

all hu are not in a position to donate money for whatever reason, do some paath for them meditate on wahegurus nam and use it for the victims of the earthquake

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2004/20041230/main5.htm

Fate of Sikh ex-servicemen’s

families in Nicobar uncertain

Ramesh Ramachandran

Tribune News Service

New Delhi, December 29

The fate of 2,000-odd families of Sikh ex-servicemen from Punjab and Haryana, living in Campbell Bay, or Mini Punjab as it is popularly known, on the southernmost island of Nicobar is uncertain even as Navy and Coast Guard personnel continue rescue and relief operations.

Campbell Bay and Nicobar Island are the nearest points to Sumatra in Indonesia, which was the epicentre of the earthquake leading to the killer ocean waves or Tsunamis.

According to reports, Nicobar Island and Campbell Bay have suffered infrastructural damages with the water having entered the landing strip at Nicobar Island.

The Inspector General of Police of Nicobar, Mr S.B. Deol, told The Tribune over telephone from Port Blair that Punjabi settlers could be among the six casualties reported from Campbell Bay. An estimated 10000 people are dead, missing or seriously injured elsewhere.

“Campbell Bay is at an elevation and higher ground was available, so the casualty figure is low otherwise one in five persons in Nicobar and Little Andaman with an estimated population of 50,000 to 60,000 are feared dead,” Mr Deol said.

The Navy and the Coast Guard, he said, were extremely active in rescue and relief operations in the islands. Food packets were being dropped and the seriously injured taken aboard a ship for emergency medical attention.

Spread

over a 1,500 square kilometer area, Campbell Bay is home to ex-servicemen who were settled there in the 1970s by late Prime Minister Indira Gandhi to protect the island from illegal poachers and to ostensibly maintain an Indian presence on the island.

The Chairman and Managing Director of the Delhi Transport and Tourism Development Corporation, Mr Ramesh Negi, who has served as a Deputy Commissioner in Nicobar, said that the Sikhs have become an inalienable part of the island’s history.

“The government wanted to settle people from the mainland in Campbell Bay to avoid any dispute over Indian territory and ex-servicemen were the obvious choice because they were trained soldiers...this would also serve to deter illegal poachers,” Mr Negi said.

Accordingly, the government gave 10 acres to every ex-serviceman who was settled in Campbell Bay and money to buy tractor and other equipment for agriculture. In a few years’ time, the farming folk had established a gurdwara on the island.

“It was like a mini Punjab... there were ex-servicemen from other states also but a majority of them were from Punjab and Haryana. They would celebrate Baisakhi and prepare Makke ki Roti and Sarson da Saag like they do in Punjab,” he recalled.

Besides, the Sikhs have held the posts of sarpanches of the two panchayats in Campbell Bay. Incidentally, the first person to establish contact with the Jarwa tribe inhabiting the Andaman and Nicobar Islands was also a Sikh.

“This Sikh gentleman who went by the name of Bakhtawar Singh had great relations with the Jarwas and could speak their language. For many years he was the only contact between the administration and the Jarawa tribe,” Mr Negi recalled.

The contribution of the Sikh women to the island’s development was no less. The official has fond memories of a Sikh lady, an assistant engineer (electrical), who would climb electric poles and repair faults like her male colleagues would do.

wow.. Waheguru.. Yes, i'm sure there were at least some Sikhs that also died in this whole event. They're saying it's obvious that the death toll will reach 100,000, and there are chances it could even get double that. They're saying the info we're finding out so far is just the start, and that there are so many more places where bodies are popping up. Thousands are still missing. It's been said that 1/3 of the dead are children.

Satguru Jeeo help us accept your Bhana and recognize your khel as being beyond our hands... Satguru Jee, please help us realize that whatever you do will one day have a better ending, please help us trust You so that we can accept whatever You choose to do with us and this world.

Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru

Also wanted to say (in response to someone's post above), I think the best option is to send money, because if you send products like clothes, foods, etc., it's a lot more difficult to transport it to the affected ares on time. Emergency officials are saying that if you just donate money (TO A REPUTABLE ORGANIZATION THAT WILL GET THE MONEY WHERE IT IS NEEDED!!!), then they can buy supplies like food, clothing, blankets, etc. at cheap bulk rates and stuff, and they can get it there faster probably... Therefore, the best option is to collect or send money IMMEDIATELY to relief groups who you know will take the money there...

thank you for your reply, but one thing doesnt click with me... Was the Sri Lankan, Indian and Indonesian coastline a place where god put all the "sinners" of past lives? Everyone there was "bad"?

September 11th, all those people in the buildings were sinners in past or present life?

thannks for clearing up man

i dont know nething

thank you  for your reply, but one thing doesnt click with me... Was the Sri Lankan, Indian and Indonesian coastline a place where god put all the "sinners" of past lives? Everyone there was "bad"?

September 11th, all those people in the buildings were sinners in past or present life?

Not necessarily, Spiritual beings might have passed away, and rejoined God as well,

what we need to realise is, it was in their KARMS to pass away like that, whether they were spiritual being or sinners,

It's not the way you die tha's imporant it's the way you LIVE which matters

Does that make sense :T: .

Just because one died in acertain way doesn't mean they were sinners or whatever, but if they're i.e living a hard life, i.e povery one can see it as both Good karms and Bad karms,

Good Karms= povertty = ur humble = u beg to God, your only support

bad = ur not living in a completly confortable house, palace whatever

do you see what I mean?

Rich people living with a high ego, and looking down at people are probably the ones with bad karms more than the ones that passed away, but theres probably something reserved for them as well (the ones with ego n stuff) tongue.gif

So it's not black and white, if one is "bad" or "Good" is for one self to decide...

I've been rabbling on and on without making sense now long enough - so I'lll sneak off now tongue.gif

thannks for clearing up man

i dont know nething

trust me, you know a lot more than me tongue.gif

please forgive me If I have offended you in anyway

or not made any sense in this whole post tongue.gif

bhull chukk maaf

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!