Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Take it with a grain of salt as he was a Christian Missionary I think and also smoked while reading Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Also he tried to defame the Guru's if you look at B40 janamsakhi...

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, intrigued said:

Take it with a grain of salt as he was a Christian Missionary I think and also smoked while reading Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Also he tried to defame the Guru's if you look at B40 janamsakhi...

Thank you do you know anything about B40?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, intrigued said:

The link needs to be approved by the mods first but I uploaded it on SikhAwareness on the files section

Getting quite annoyed with this ‘upgrade’ recently to the site, cannot post links unless moderator approves and less user friendly especially on mobile 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 weeks later...
On 4/14/2021 at 9:04 AM, intrigued said:

Take it with a grain of salt as he was a Christian Missionary I think and also smoked while reading Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Also he tried to defame the Guru's if you look at B40 janamsakhi...

That was ernest trumpp from the 19th century 

He didnt even complete the translation of sri guru granth Sahib ji maharaj and left it only a third complete 

He called gurbani repetitive; said it was same thing over and over again

He didnt even work hard enough to decipher the beej mantra, and simply called it ik Omkar, with om being a reference to the vedic symbol 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, NaamTiharoJoJape said:

That was ernest trumpp from the 19th century

Ah right Trumpp was the one who smoked. But I still think McLeod was the missionary right?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wh mcleod, while much appreciated, should be taken with grain of salt as intrigued has said

If we are being honest we got much better, authentic authors like bhai kahn singh nabha, bhai veer singh, dr. Trilochan singh,  prof Sahib singh etc. 

I forget this one author that has a two volume series, I read his work when I was 13 and the books were pretty good when I get home ill check it out 

I remember the person graduated from khalsa college amritsar in 1944 or 45 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, intrigued said:

Ah right Trumpp was the one who smoked. But I still think McLeod was the missionary right?

Yeah he was

I dont see the need to study texts of these guys

We got plenty of literature that we should focus in preserving 

Much itihas has been lost, hopefully we move in from these books on sikh history that exhibit a elementary understanding of sikhi 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've read a lot of McLeod's books. 

They are essentially modern day orientalism. They follow reductionalist models and if a person can't pick up on his scarcely concealed contempt for Sikhi - then they must be a bit slow witted. 

The only way I might use them now is to check translations against the original Gurmukhi text. 

Other than that, his analysis is cynical and probably quite influenced by his casteist mentor J.S.Grewal.

 

7 hours ago, NaamTiharoJoJape said:

 

I remember the person graduated from khalsa college amritsar in 1944 or 45 

Wasn't Ganda Singh was it? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NaamTiharoJoJape said:

That was ernest trumpp from the 19th century 

He didnt even complete the translation of sri guru granth Sahib ji maharaj and left it only a third complete 

He called gurbani repetitive; said it was same thing over and over again

He didnt even work hard enough to decipher the beej mantra, and simply called it ik Omkar, with om being a reference to the vedic symbol 

Man. Genius just runs in that family name eh? Lol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use