Derry’s Ironman hero Danny Quigley shares meal in Sikh Gurdwara with friends and supporters

Premi5

@GurjantGnostic- where in Ireland your  family from ?

https://www.derryjournal.com/health/derrys-ironman-hero-danny-quigley-shares-meal-in-sikh-gurdwara-with-friends-and-supporters-3450541

Derry’s Ironman hero Danny Quigley shares meal in Sikh Gurdwara with friends and supporters

Derry’s Ironman hero Danny Quigley popped in to the Gurdwara in the Waterside to visit friends who contributed to his recent fundraising efforts for local mental health charities.

Tuesday, 9th November 2021, 10:48 am

Danny was famously chosen as Charity Worker and Sportsperson of the Year at the Derry Journal People of the Year Awards after he raised over £100,000 for PIETA house and The Bogside Brandywell Health Forum by running 10 Ironmans in just 10 days.

For the popular athlete it was a very personal challenge in memory of his late father Colm who sadly died by suicide 10 years ago. It was a poignant tribute to Colm who Danny has described as a ‘model father and my teacher’.

Among his biggest supporters has been businessman and educator Amerjit (Simon) Singh Nagra, a key figure within Derry’s Sikh community and the NI. Sikh Association.

TUFZMTM0NTMxNDYx.jpg?width=640

Simon was delighted to welcome Danny and his son Mal to the Sikh temple at the top of Simpson’s Brae.

“Danny and I share plans to build cross-community ties, because mental health does not differentiate between creed, race, religion or gender,” said Simon.

“We want to ask all communities to join in our cause. I invited my great friend Iron man Danny Quigley - ‘Derry Journal Charity Worker and Sportsperson of the Year’ - to launch plans to team up, to improve mental health and help with poverty relief in the city.”

During the summer Simon told the ‘Journal’ the Sikh community intended opening up the Gurdwara on a cross-community basis to provide a free kitchen and other initiatives. This, he said, chimed with the Sikh concept of ‘sewa,’ a principle of selfless volunteerism derived from the Punjabi word for ‘service.’

TUFZMTM0NTMxNDYy.jpg?width=640

“The Sikh Community has agreed to produce hot healthy vegetarian meals with any one that requires them. Danny, who eats healthy, experienced our humanitarian culture and had his first ‘langar’ - meal together, which signifies no human being on earth should starve and eating together helps brings God’s humanity together crossing all boundaries and of course the social interaction improves mental health.”

TUFZMTM0NTMxNDYz.jpg?width=640
TUFZMTM0NTMxNDY0.jpg?width=640
TUFZMTM0NTMxNDY2.jpg?width=640

15 hours ago, Premi5 said:

@GurjantGnostic- where in Ireland your  family from ?

https://www.derryjournal.com/health/derrys-ironman-hero-danny-quigley-shares-meal-in-sikh-gurdwara-with-friends-and-supporters-3450541

Derry’s Ironman hero Danny Quigley popped in to the Gurdwara in the Waterside to visit friends who contributed to his recent fundraising efforts for local mental health charities.

Tuesday, 9th November 2021, 10:48 am

Danny was famously chosen as Charity Worker and Sportsperson of the Year at the Derry Journal People of the Year Awards after he raised over £100,000 for PIETA house and The Bogside Brandywell Health Forum by running 10 Ironmans in just 10 days.

For the popular athlete it was a very personal challenge in memory of his late father Colm who sadly died by suicide 10 years ago. It was a poignant tribute to Colm who Danny has described as a ‘model father and my teacher’.

Among his biggest supporters has been businessman and educator Amerjit (Simon) Singh Nagra, a key figure within Derry’s Sikh community and the NI. Sikh Association.

TUFZMTM0NTMxNDYx.jpg?width=640

Simon was delighted to welcome Danny and his son Mal to the Sikh temple at the top of Simpson’s Brae.

“Danny and I share plans to build cross-community ties, because mental health does not differentiate between creed, race, religion or gender,” said Simon.

“We want to ask all communities to join in our cause. I invited my great friend Iron man Danny Quigley - ‘Derry Journal Charity Worker and Sportsperson of the Year’ - to launch plans to team up, to improve mental health and help with poverty relief in the city.”

During the summer Simon told the ‘Journal’ the Sikh community intended opening up the Gurdwara on a cross-community basis to provide a free kitchen and other initiatives. This, he said, chimed with the Sikh concept of ‘sewa,’ a principle of selfless volunteerism derived from the Punjabi word for ‘service.’

TUFZMTM0NTMxNDYy.jpg?width=640

“The Sikh Community has agreed to produce hot healthy vegetarian meals with any one that requires them. Danny, who eats healthy, experienced our humanitarian culture and had his first ‘langar’ - meal together, which signifies no human being on earth should starve and eating together helps brings God’s humanity together crossing all boundaries and of course the social interaction improves mental health.”

TUFZMTM0NTMxNDYz.jpg?width=640
TUFZMTM0NTMxNDY0.jpg?width=640
TUFZMTM0NTMxNDY2.jpg?width=640

Roscommon and Connacht. 

2 hours ago, Premi5 said:

Roscommon is in Connacht, no ?

Galway is supposed to be the nicest city in Ireland, right ?

I wish I knew what was nicest. I've only seen pictures. Depends on what kinda time you're looking for I hear. Walking the bogs is my speed so I'm good everywhere. 

I'd move to Roscommon to be on ancestral land or up north close to where the rest of the cleaning needs to be done. 

https://www.derryjournal.com/heritage-and-retro/heritage/sikh-community-share-1k-meals-on-birthday-of-guru-nanak-dev-ji-3456556

Sikh community share 1k meals on birthday of Guru Nanak Dev Ji

An amazing 1,000 meals were shared in Derry city centre by local members of the NI Sikh Association on November 7.

Friday, 12th November 2021, 4:47 pm

TUFZMTM0Njg2ODM4.jpg?width=640&enable=upscale

The birth of Baba Nanak is traditionally celebrated worldwide on Katak Pooranmashi - the full moon of Katak - which falls between October and November.

Approximately 1,000 hot and freshly prepared vegetarian Indian meals were distributed opposite Primark in Newmarket Street from around 2pm in honour of the Guru and in keeping with the Sikh tradition of ‘Sewa’ or self-less service. Guru Nanak is said to have travelled far and wide across Asia teaching people the message of ik onkar ‘one God’, who, Sikhs believe, dwells in every one of his creations and constitutes the eternal truth. With this concept he would set up a ‘unique, spiritual, social and political platform based on equality, fraternal love, goodness and virtue’.

TUFZMTM0NzA5MDEw.jpg?width=640

The event also happened to fall on the 62nd birthday of well-known local member of the association Amerjit (Simon) Singh Nagra. Equally, it took place as the long-established local Indian community were celebrating Diwali, the annual harvest celebration and festival of light, and was very well received.

On 11/11/2021 at 2:49 PM, GurjantGnostic said:

I wish I knew what was nicest. I've only seen pictures. Depends on what kinda time you're looking for I hear. Walking the bogs is my speed so I'm good everywhere. 

I'd move to Roscommon to be on ancestral land or up north close to where the rest of the cleaning needs to be done. 

What do you prefer? 
hurling or GAA football ?