Dual citizenship - India!

Guest JSS

I was just reading an article on Sikhnet about how PM manmohan singh ji plans on offering dual citizenship NRIs. I think this is awesome...i know many sikhs have always complained and rightly so about how sikhs are treated in India...how we are depicted by the government as well as the media...also how all the foreign investment has been made in the south or other areas of india, while Punjab has seen very little foreign investment or creation of new jobs... I think this is a great opportunity for overseas sikhs who are successful to go and pump some money into the Punjab economy, create jobs, buy Land back from all the bhaiyaas who are trying to get into punjab...a great opportunity to get back the respect for Sikhs in india...

what do you all think?

i know it is easy to think that Singhs will be denied citizenship...but i think PM manmohan singh ji is a smart man...who wants to see india prosper...i highly doubt he'd turn down big foreign investments that would help improve the economy of india...i doubt he'd turn down opportunities that would make him look like the greatest PM of india...

it's a good move, both at an individual perspective from manmohan singh's view, as well as a general perspective for people in general. JSS summed it up as far as the individual aspect goes, but i'd think this gives NRI a lot more power as far as this whole idea of a "seperate state" is concerned

only problem...isn't Tytler the NRI minister?

good idea for investing in india, india is now one of the fastest growing economy's in the world. i have come here after 2 years and i see a lot of change. a lot of money has come in the economy.

However the common man should be educated on clenliness i think the govt. should pump in loads of money for cleanliness. it will bring a lot of difference. icrease beauty of cities and bring a lot of tourists

oops sorry i drifted away from the real topic rolleyes.gif

India wants to kiss up big time.

I read in a recent article (Indiatimes I think) that the total disposable income of all Indians living abroad is something like 35% of what India’s total GDP is. That’s just crazy!! It shows how poor India really is.

India needs NRI investment big time. I say we Sikhs take advantage of this a**kissing and start building up companies and corporations in India. We would be both helping our brothers in Punjab and other poor people in India, and also earning some respect. In India, money talks, VIP’s MP’s and any other P’s, they all lick the ivory boot.

Nothing to this dual nationality. It is not even proper dual nationality. The GOI has given the whole thing the name of Indian Overseas Citizen (IOC). You cannot hold 2 passports instead the GOI gives you a certificate which allows you to do everything an Indian passport holder can apart form vote in elections or stand as a candidate.

The only difference between this and the Person of Indian Origin card scheme is that IOC is for life and allows you to hold agricultural land.

Doubt it will lead to large inward investment into India as the bureaucracy is still there and makes doing business a total pain in the behind.