how is KS Makhan allowed at events? Isn't a sirgum/sirrgum automatically excommunicated from panth?

I am hearing a lot of adverts with KS Makhan performing at these mela type events along with others.

I have read that a sirgum is an amritdhari who has cut their hair. And a sirgum is to be avoided like meenas, masands, dheermalias, ramraiyas etc.

Of course a sirgum may retake pahul.

Should sikhs not collectively ban such personalities, or at least distance ourselves. I know these are panjabi cultural events, but there should be some collective sikh avoidance and the ban of being around sirgum should be made more public and taken m ore seriously by panth!

This was more applicable when cutting kesh was rare and rules like these helped nip the problem.  The situation is inverted now. Also,  is it better to never even attempt amritdhari life ? Atleast Makhan tried for a few years, and he still holds immense respect or it. Just leave the guy alone and let him come back on more firm footing in the future. 

Plus, there are many kids from (amritdhari) families that take amrit at a young age, but cut their kesh in their youth. Do you think it would be fair to namecall them as sirgums while their peers get a free pass?

You have to evaluate these maryada rules on an ongoing basis to see what helps the panth and what may end up causing more harm than good.

I saw him at a mela on Sunday in Southall, Sikhi is the last thing on the mind of the vast majority of the crowd. Most of whom were drunk and acting like idiots. No danger of any artist being boycotted unless they swore at the Gurus. 

Makhan tried the Amritdhari lifestyle and maybe it wasn't for him. It's better that he drinks etc as a mona rather than a Keshdhari Sikh. 

On 7/13/2023 at 11:08 PM, Jai Tegang! said:

This was more applicable when cutting kesh was rare and rules like these helped nip the problem.  The situation is inverted now. Also,  is it better to never even attempt amritdhari life ? Atleast Makhan tried for a few years, and he still holds immense respect or it. Just leave the guy alone and let him come back on more firm footing in the future. 

Plus, there are many kids from (amritdhari) families that take amrit at a young age, but cut their kesh in their youth. Do you think it would be fair to namecall them as sirgums while their peers get a free pass?

You have to evaluate these maryada rules on an ongoing basis to see what helps the panth and what may end up causing more harm than good.

I am wondering when sirgumm term started to be used in the panth. I understand Meenas, Masands, dhirmalaiye, kurri-maar is more than just name-calling, so thought we should at least take a look or discuss this.

And I guess the leaving alone bit is kind of similar to staying away? It's different when it's a personality does something. Similar to some babas and sants etc!

13 hours ago, ipledgeblue said:

I am wondering when sirgumm term started to be used in the panth. I understand Meenas, Masands, dhirmalaiye, kurri-maar is more than just name-calling, so thought we should at least take a look or discuss this.

And I guess the leaving alone bit is kind of similar to staying away? It's different when it's a personality does something. Similar to some babas and sants etc!

Each of theses groups has to be contextualized for the time period. Most of these ostracized groups dissolved back into mainstream over time. They pose no current challenge to the Panth's well-being. These "lists" need updating all the time. Even parasitic offshoot groups that we were in conflict with 40 years ago dont pose any serious challenges today. The radha-soami head baba has pivoted back towards sikhi as a case in point, and so has one half of the namdhari sect. 

Coming back to ks makan, what is the point of targeting someone for leaving the amritdhari lifestyle when you have the vast majority of our people also rejecting the same by way of never adopting it inspite of beng born in sikh families. I would understand if guys like makhan started attacking the amritdhari jeevan , but that's not the case. I would also be interested in your opinion on my earlier point about the numerous youngsters who cut their hair after having taken Amrit in childhood or sometimes even in their youth.