Should jeans be banned at Gurdwara?

japmans

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

LOL.gif

Banning jeans? LOL!

That is frankly a RETARDED proposal. While we are at it, lets ban microphones, lightbulbs, STTM is out the window.

The world changes. And we change with it, so long as our RELIGIOUS PRINCIPLES are upheld. I tell people this all the time: if Guru Nanak were born in Italy, do you think we'd have pizza for langar?

We gotta remember to separate religon and culture. The 'punjabi' culture (salvaar/ kameez for girls, etc.) is a CULTURAL thing... something that is completely irrelevant in Sikhi.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha that was a good post, but i jus wanna mention something with the last thing you said

the food we eat is also culture... example, if guru nanak was born in south india, our food would have so much mirch, there would be no taste..... the food we eat is also a part of culture.. as you've mentioned, so are the clothes we wear..

yeah, i dn't like this whole "girls should cover up so that guys don't get excited" crap..... that's entirely ridiculously,SHTOWPID

The world changes. And we change with it, so long as our RELIGIOUS PRINCIPLES are upheld. I tell people this all the time: if Guru Nanak were born in Italy, do you think we'd have pizza for langar?

We gotta remember to separate religon and culture. The 'punjabi' culture (salvaar/ kameez for girls, etc.) is a CULTURAL thing... something that is completely irrelevant in Sikhi.

1. No, pizza would have been for Gurpurabs and so on...it would be Pasta (without eggs) for langar.

2. It depends upon what kind of sangat you are in!

In Europe, i think people wouldn't mind jeans or similar and wouldn't even look second time if someone is wearing a jean. However, in Punjab, people will start looking if you wear cloths that are out of the normal. Perhaps if jeans become normal wear in Punjab, ie also old generation uses jeans (in about 25-50 years), i don't think people would get any *lust* from looking at the fellow girl/boy. You see, the way we have lust for each other depends upon the psychology in our brain; if in a society everyone lived naked, i don't think they would have had lust for each other if they saw each other in that condition. Some "tribes" in Papua New Guneia/Africa do live that way.

So my point is; if you (male or female) know that no one is going to get any thoughts or get offended if

you wear that dress in the sangat you are in, then go on and wear it. If you visit a place where people follow different culture, and you see that the same dress would bring lust and cause problems for you, then wear something that is considered decent in those religious/cultural circles. So that way, it is relative what should be worn.

Absolute rules, such 'only wear salwar kameez' or 'no jeans' can't be right in all situations.

Just a note that this is only valid when we assume that our goal is minimum lust in the sangat where we abide. However, the panj kakkars or BaaNa are so-called 'absolute norms' that means, they are valid/prescribed in all situations, but that is because there is some other logic behind that and they have spiritual meaning; not that their use or abstinent is directed towards goals such as minimizing lust in the sangat. Just think of a supposed situation: in a distinct culture of some islands in indian ocean, wearing a kirpan/sword is likely to increase the lust of women towards men; would Sikhs ban the kirpan? no, because the kirpan is an 'absolute norm', ie should be followed in all situations. same goes for hair. However, the common dress we wear is supposed to be relative in above writing.

Usually sianey lady will wear salwar/kameez when going to gurdwara sahib when they are in punjab. I personally would recommend to have salwar kameez for ladies because it's respectful pehrava and you can say same to guys too.

Before attacking sgpc, i would request everyone to first know whats life is in Punjab. majority of the guys are thugs, gunday and have no sharam at all. There is no law in that land, Bibian can't go out of their house during mornings or evening walks alone. Even if they go, guys on bikes harrass them till end. So while discussing this thread keep in mind jeoo that there's a difference between East and West. I betcha tons of guys do show up at gurdwara sahib in india to see bibian in jeans and so on (except darbar sahib).. And that's the growing problem in punjab these days.

Now back to the topic, SGPC sikh body shouldn't have made that rule right out of nowhere. They should have started testing other methods before ending up with this EXTREME final step. There are many ways to encourage ladies and men to wear respectable dress while in gurus darbar. Advertising campaign, mail sending, newspapers ads and so on could have huge impact on sikh sangata. If SGPC are lion in promoting politicals parties by putting up huge posters all over the city, then it wouldn't hurt em if they promote and encourage to have the civil dress code campaign.

Gurfateh!!

SCPG havnt actually created such a rule, its just been in debate after the Central Gurdwara Prabandhak Committee's Singhbhum unit in Jamshedpur, banned such articles of clothing, but what S1ngh Ji has said about life is totally different in punjab is a very valid point and should be considered.

Here's an article i found on www.sikhtimes.com about a week ago, it kind of explains the situation:

http://www.sikhtimes.com/news_011005a.html

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Gurfateh!!

Fateh,

just my two cents, but sometimes i go to the gurudwara before or after work and im usually wearing pants or jeans. if im wearing something that might expose skin i make sure i wear a coat on top before i matha tek... there were times when it got really busy and i couldnt go during the day so that was the only time i could go, if this ban was in place i would have been stopped from going to the gurudwara 5 days in a week, which i think is very unfair... when im at home and i have time or am not going to work, yes i wear salwar kameez, but in the modern times today and fast paced living, sometimes we dont always have the luxury of getting ready. I just wanna go to matha tek and get guru ji's blessing.... they should spend their time trying to get the chairs, meat and alcohol out of gurudwaras instead of something like this.....

pul chuk maaf

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

I personally dont think its a good idea to ban jeans, I have had to take the bus to the Gurudwara wearing Salvar kameez, not a good idea and also haev to go directly from school at times. Like you gotta wear several layers to protect yourself from freezing. Wearing decent jeans and a long top isnt bad.

hmm waht about these new suit styles where they are short and tight, and bibiya just wearing the chuni only for the head portion... you know what i mean, isnt that just as bad??? also the girls who wear transparent salvars with legs showing. They shud give this a second thought too. grin.gif

my 2 cents ,jios