PLEASE ALL READ

I'm trying to understand from what angle having Harmandir Sahib recognised on the World Stage is in any way bad for us.

Sikhi has never been about preaching to the world, only about finding your way to God.

It is for this reason that the world is largely unaware of us and what we stand for.

Do you think Sikhs would have undergone such racial tension after 9/11 if the world knew who we were.

There are so many factions, groups and backbiting in our communities that we can never stand together as one voice.

Harmandir Sahib is a part of us, our history and means the world to each and every Sikh.

It's is a symbol without division, one which every Sikh can unequivocally stand behind.

Harmandir Sahib won't change as a result, it is and always will be a place of worship.

Have you ever gone to another place of worship, a known landmark, and disrespected it?

Can you see people actually doing this? Whenever non-sikh people come to the Gurdwara, they always remove their shoes, cover their head etc.

It will be up to the management at Harmandir Sahib, and us as a community to ensure the sanctity of Darbar Sahib, but that is something we will have to deal with at one time or another anyway.

I say this because since Harmandir Sahib is so tightly entwined and integral to our history and so tightly associated with being a Sikh that if we are ever recognised on a large scale, Harmandir Sahib will ultimately receive the attention just as the Kaba does for the muslims. It's not a matter of "if", but "when".

It's not about winning a contest or comparing Harmandir Sahib with other places, it's about knowledge.

Other than there now being a

Sikh prime minister (not an ideal role model), Sikhi has no representation at a World level.

I seriously believe having Harmandir Sahib listed will shine the spotlight on our major organisations such as the SGPC and "shake them up". No longer will they be able to shirk responsibility and hide away in the shadows, saying one thing and doing something else.

Gursharan Singh

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest noonespecial

H4RPAL has summed up this whole issue quite eloquently.

It's a matter of personal choice.

I can totally see how some people see this is as being an oppurtunity to bring Sikhism into the limelight. I also agree, that IF Harmandir Sahib is voted to be one of the worlds seven wonders then surely Sikhism will probably gain more media attention.

However, for other people, such as myself, I just think that despite the positives that could come of this, there are too many negatives that will more than likely pop up as well. Alot of people in India are too clever and too greedy not to take advantage over something like this.

But whether we agree with the idea or not, I think we should all be proud of our "Guru Jee De Panth Da Sevadaar" Veerji for actually doing what very few of us do. He actually made an effort to do seva for the Panth, and not just sit behind a computer screen and shoot down ideas like the rest of us (most of all me!).

Waheguru Jee Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Jee Kee Fateh!

Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ki fateh

noonespeacial ji has summed it right, I don;t want Darabar Sahib to be 7 wonders, it is not just an architectural piece. It is already our wonder. Moreover govt people in india would take advantage of this.

Sewadar veerji I appreciate your love for sikhi.

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh