Sikhism and Rituals

Guest Sony

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Sangat Ji,

I was confronted with this question, however, because of the little bhudhi I have, I was unable to answer their question to their satisfaction....

The question was that Sikhism has many rituals, one example is Amrit Sanchar, and why we dont accept it as a ritual, but see it as an initiation... I tried my best to answer this question, however, I need help since my answer did not seem to be enough.

Any help would be great.

Thank you sangat Jee

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

rit·u·al

1. The prescribed order of a religious ceremony.

2. The body of ceremonies or rites used in a place of worship.

1. The prescribed form of conducting a formal secular ceremony: the ritual of an inauguration.

2. The body of ceremonies used by a fraternal organization.

3. A book of rites or ceremonial forms.

4. rituals

1. A ceremonial act or a series of such acts.

2. The performance of such acts.

1. A detailed method of procedure faithfully or regularly followed: My household chores have become a morning ritual.

2. A state or condition characterized by the presence of established procedure or routine: “Prison was a ritualreenacted daily, year in, year out. Prisoners came and went; generations came and went; and yet the ritual endured” (William H. Hallahan).

adj.

1. Associated with or performed according to a rite or ritual: a priest's ritual garments; a ritual sacrifice.

2. Being part of an established routine: a ritual glass of milk before bed.

Sat Sri Akal:

In the extreme technical aspect, Sikh ceremonies and procedures are rituals. The difference lies in meaning. Many of the rituals that Guru Sahib denounced were beacuse they were being emptily carried out with no true understanding. The example being the people throwing water to their ancestors in the sun ad Guru Nanak Sahib throwing water in the opposite direction to show them their logic was flawed.

However, in Sikhism each ceremony and "ritual" has a meaning. When someone does Matha Tek, it actually signifies respect in the most extreme sense, as you are offering your head at the feet of the Guru. The Amrit Sanchar ceremony is explained well by Bhai Sahib Bhai Ranndhir Singh Ji in the book "Amrit Ki Hai"...the purpose and the significance in its procedures. The Anand Karaj is a ceremony which explains to the wedded cople the true mission of their mariage. The Panj Kakkars can be seen as "ritualized" dress. However, the Sikh of the Guru recognizes these as gifts from their Guru Sahib, who gave them his own image and treasures them like a child who has received a gift from his/her parents.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Sat Sri Akal:

In the extreme technical aspect, Sikh ceremonies and procedures are rituals. The difference lies in meaning. Many of the rituals that Guru Sahib denounced were beacuse they were being emptily carried out with no true understanding. The example being the people throwing water to their ancestors in the sun ad Guru Nanak Sahib throwing water in the opposite direction to show them their logic was flawed.

However, in Sikhism each ceremony and "ritual" has a meaning. When someone does Matha Tek, it actually signifies respect in the most extreme sense, as you are offering your head at the feet of the Guru. The Amrit Sanchar ceremony is explained well by Bhai Sahib Bhai Ranndhir Singh Ji in the book "Amrit Ki Hai"...the purpose and the significance in its procedures. The Anand Karaj is a ceremony which explains to the wedded cople the true mission of their mariage. The Panj Kakkars can be seen as "ritualized" dress. However, the Sikh of the Guru recognizes these as gifts from their Guru Sahib, who gave them his own image and treasures them like a child who has received a gift from his/her parents.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Fateh,

thank you for that reply. that makes sense smile.gif

pul chuk maaf

Sat Sri Akal:

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Veerji,

I have always loved your response to such topics, and by reading yourresponse to this, i am yet again amazed by your response... grin.gif