Sikhi And Punjabi Culture

Bijla Singh

I have been wondering about this for some time now. Bhangra and Giddha are part of Punjabi culture. Although Punjabi culture is not pro-Sikhi but it cannot be called anti-sikhi either. Not everything can be categorized as pro or anti sikhi. Some things just don't fit in. I have heard from so many Sikhs that bhangra and giddha are anti-sikhi but how? I know it is not pro-sikhi but how is it anti-sikhi?When a person does pesh to Panj Pyare, he/she tells all the kurehats or mistakes he/she made but bhangra or giddha is never mentioned. If an amrithdhari person does pesh to Panj Pyare for doing bhangra or giddha, would he get any punishment? has it ever happened?

I am not trying to promote dancing here and I don't do any bhangra. I would like to know what sangat thinks? please shed some light on this matter. Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Akaal108
I have been wondering about this for some time now. Bhangra and Giddha are part of Punjabi culture. Although Punjabi culture is not pro-Sikhi but it cannot be called anti-sikhi either. Not everything can be categorized as pro or anti sikhi. Some things just don't fit in. I have heard from so many Sikhs that bhangra and giddha are anti-sikhi but how? I know it is not pro-sikhi but how is it anti-sikhi?When a person does pesh to Panj Pyare, he/she tells all the kurehats or mistakes he/she made but bhangra or giddha is never mentioned. If an amrithdhari person does pesh to Panj Pyare for doing bhangra or giddha, would he get any punishment? has it ever happened?

I am not trying to promote dancing here and I don't do any bhangra. I would like to know what sangat thinks? please shed some light on this matter. Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Exactly my thoughts,

I seriously think dancing once an while in a family occasion just to make them happy is not only ok but form of a seva just to make your parents happy..after these little things that can be compromised without giving core beleifs of our sikh dharma...if you can't serve your parents, you can't serve the sangat... they have given you birth and fed ya and changed your diapers, gave you all the hapiness in life... !

discussion regarding dancing has already taken place :-

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.ppa?showto...st=0entry5343

Most things are ok including dancing, it all depends on the intentions. We goto the gurdwara and automatically assume that going to the gurdwara is fine even if the purpose of going to the gurdwara for an indvidual is far from religious. But we still think oh he/she goes to the gurdwara.

Same can be said about a lot of things we do, they may apear not compatible with sikhi but who are we to decide that? If someone dances and is only doing because its a family function and not to attract other ppl then what is wrong with that?

I dont agree with these bhangra gigs n stuff but family functions and dancing is fine in my opinion.

Guest SikhForLife

i agree with balait.. its a matter of intention.. alot of people claim dancing is a big no no.. because SGGS says its a waste of time.. why engorss in such a thing ..

which is true.. ideally we shouldnt wanna do it.. but i havent met a person who is perfect enough to follow SGGS completely.. and we shouldnt fake it like we are either..

you shud follow what you think is right according to your own standards

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA

WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

This is my own opinion......

To all those who think dancing is allowed..........would you dance infront of guru ji?

I suspect all of you would say no. But where is guru ji? He isnt only in a Gurudwara.....Guru Ji is everywhere blush.gif

Just my thoughts

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA

WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Guest Akaal108
WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA

WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

This is my own opinion......

To all those who think dancing is allowed..........would you dance infront of guru ji?

I suspect all of you would say no. But where is guru ji? He isnt only in a Gurudwara.....Guru Ji is everywhere blush.gif

Just my thoughts

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA

WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Yes i would, in pyaaaaaaaaaaar of Guru Ji.... i ll go mast infront of him...

now please don't say he will send me to take pesh or whatever... nobody even have a right to judge any form of pyaar between sikh and guru....

Bhai Gurmukh Singh Aurdasee damdami taksal waley jumped on the fire and burned himself alive when he couldn't take the "vichora" of guroo pyare- dhan dhan sant baba gurbachan singh ji bhindranvaley.

I think nobody has a right to judge when it comes to different forms of pyaar towards Guru Ji... anyway this topic is not about that..

what is manmat to you, could be form of pyaar for someone else.

we have been diseased with simply putting things we don't like as "manmat"... and forgotten about circumstances, different perspective..

This is my opinion..

I've had this discussion with few people on my MSN..

I don't think there's anything wrong with dancing.

If one doesn't dance does it mean he/she is closer to God than one who dance? grin.gif

Raji, you said:

"To all those who think dancing is allowed..........would you dance infront of guru ji?

I suspect all of you would say no. But where is guru ji? He isnt only in a Gurudwara.....Guru Ji is everywhere"

That's the same thing with music. Do you hear music? If the answer is yes, would you hear music in a gurdwara. If the answer is no, then why do you say GuruJi is everywhere and not only in gurdwara.

Bhul chuk maff karni