Sikhi And Punjabi Culture

Bijla Singh

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA

WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

yeh bhenji see what u mean abt music.........but i try to avoid music and listen to kirtan instead :umm:

And Akaal108, i see what u mean....but....http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.ppa?showtopic=9098 how come everyone was so annoyed when this happened, wasnt harnek singh showing pyaar aswell? :cool: :@:@ @

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA

WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Akaal108
And Akaal108, i see what u mean....but....http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.ppa?showtopic=9098 how come everyone was so annoyed when this happened, wasnt harnek singh showing pyaar aswell

I don't know may be his intentions were different/fishy.. as bailati sher pointed out... your intentions behind any act matter the most.

Dancing infront of Guru Ji? why not? this reminded me of Bulleh Shah who said:

Sanoo Nachno Mana Na Karay Koi, Assan Sikheya Karna Pyar Nachh Kay,

Saday Nachan Di Saar Oh Ki Janay, Jehnay Vekheya Nahin Ik Vaar Nachh Kay,

Mudhon Ishq De Rasmo Rivaaj Eho, Ashaq Sada Manoday Yaar Nachh Kay,

Ki Hoeya Je Bulleh Shah Nacheya Tay, Majnoo Laila Da Paiyaa Didar Nachh Kay.

Our (Sikhs) situation may be different than Bulleh Shah but intentions and love for Guru Ji should be the same. Wouldn't you agree? My question was kinda specific. I don't see anything wrong with doing bhangra in family gatherings and weddings and stuff. thanks everyone. Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Dancing is part of our culture.. If you want to dance then sure go ahead but make sure the surroundings are good.. (Family gathering is perfectly fine).. couple of times in a year is good..

Give priority to your Religious beliefs BUT also do take care of your heritage/culture.

Dancing is part of our culture.. If you want to dance then sure go ahead but make sure the surroundings are good.. (Family gathering is perfectly fine).. couple of times in a year is good..

Give priority to your Religious beliefs BUT also do take care of your heritage/culture.

Don't wanna rain on your parade, but I don't think that punjabi culture is a sikh's culture. Sikhi is everything, a philosophy, a religion, a way of life, and a culture. The way I see it, it only takes a couple of logical steps to figure out that dancing isn't good.

O my fascinating Lord, may I never listen to the faithless cynic, singing his songs and tunes, and chanting his useless words. ||1||Pause||

Page 820 Guru Arjan Dev Jee Raag Bilaaval

Well, seeing as how guru ji's saying that he wouldn't wanna listen to the tunes and songs of the faithless cynic, I don't think I'd wanna either. Further reinforcement is made through the rehat of Bhai Nand Laal Jee.
Those who listen to dirty lyrics and lustful tunes with attention, listen Nand Lal Jee, they will be punished by the angel of death. ||17||

Rehatnama Bhai Nand Laal Jee

If anyone wants to know where I'm getting this, it's from right here http://www.sikhitothemax.com/rehat.asp?id=62

Well, from my point of view, I've proved within my frame of mind that listening to music other than kirtan is useless, although I'd like to think it's alright to listen to music that doesn't have lyrics, i.e. pianos, violins, tabla solos, etc. Now, having proven that listening to all of these tunes and songs is useless, then I defy you to show me a sikh that dances, without the use of bhangra and bollywood tunes. Next, ask yourself if that person is a person that keeps all 5 k's, and is truly into sikhi. Chances are, there's not gonna be many. Isn't that hard to figure out, dancing isn't in sikhi. With all the tunes and lyrics that many bollywood and bhangra *ahem* 'artists' sing and make up, it takes away from sikhi. Of course, this is only one view point. Anyone care to challenge it?

Don't wanna rain on your parade, but I don't think that punjabi culture is a sikh's culture.

I agree. I am a Sikh but I love Punjabiyat also and I would never want to see good things of Punjabi culture die off in Khalistan i.e. Bhangra. Not everyone will be Sikh in Khalistan so bhangra cannot simply be banned. it is not pro-sikhi but how is it anti-sikhi? Gurbani quotes say that dancing is not SIkhi but it doesn't make it anti-sikhi either. if it is, then Panj Pyare must tell it during Amrit Sanchar. no? maybe I am way off here.

The quotes you provided are right but not all songs are dirty. if you get ahold of old punjabi songs you can see how those relate to Punjabiyat and how clean they are unlike today's dirty hip hop songs. I listen to Kirtan the most but I also listen to Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Ghulaam Ali, Tari, Jakkar Hussain, Ravi Shankar and old punjabi songs from 50s and 60s. most of this music is spiritual (qwalis, ghazals and tabla) and some I just listen because I love the music. but all of it is not dirty in any way. again, not pro-sikhi but not anti-sikhi either.

One thing might be worth mentioning here. In 70s, Sikhi Missionary School of Amritsar used to require music students to go watch some movies because of their raag music. all movies were clean and main emphasis was on the music thought none of it was kirtan. Now, you cannot say all of them including school board and professors will be punished by the angel of death. If Sikhs are going to learn Kirtan in Raags then they must listen to raag music even if it is not kirtan. Two biggest Music schools are Banaras Ghrana and Lahore Gharana. Many SIkhs go there to learn music, tabla etc. will they be punished? I don't think so. It is the purpose and intentions.

anti or pro sikhi?

listening to dirty music? anti-sikhi

dancing to dirty music? anti-sikhi

dancing to clean punjabi music at family occasions while not forgetting the lord? neither.

Maybe you explained it very well but I just didn't get it. please explain more so I can learn.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I think in order to truly decide whether or not dancing is right, you have to look at the person singing the lyrics. If you can say to yourself without a doubt, that 1. the person is pure, and does not engage in illicit activities of any kind, and that 2. the lyrics are pure, then fine go ahead and dance, but there's tons of other things to do other than dance. It might now be pro-sikhi, and it might not be anti-sikhi, but why waste ur time doing something that might not bring you closer to god, when you can do something that you know will (i.e. kirtan, paat, simran etc.)?

i dont think bhangra's a waste of time...its actually very fun..my uncle, who is probably the most religious person i know, is soooooooo against bhangra, hindi movies, i mean he doesnt even allow my aunt to dance nomore, but when he had a baby he actually danced...n had fun....

someone made the point of god being everywhere..but if god is every where then isnt like alot of things NOT ALLOWED....i mean listening to music and stuff...or even having a boyfriend/girlfriend while ur amritdhari...i dont think thats right...thats even worse then bhangra if u ask me...correct me if im wrong please...besides how many of u can actually admit u listen to music after being amrit dhari...i know i can....well i guess only god knows that..rightt...

bhul chuk maff.....