Vaheguru - The Taker Of Life - And The Giver...

rKr

Another sakhi from kathaa that I was listening to a few months ago.

ddw dwqw eyku hY sB kau dyvnhwr ]

dhadhaa dhaathaa eaek hai sabh ko dhaevanehaar ||

DADDA: The One Lord is the Great Giver; He is the Giver to all.

dyNdy qoit n AwveI Agnq Bry BMfwr ]

dhae(n)adhae thott n aavee aganath bharae bha(n)ddaar ||

There is no limit to His Giving. His countless warehouses are filled to overflowing.

dYnhwru sd jIvnhwrw ]

dhainehaar sadh jeevanehaaraa ||

The Great Giver is alive forever.

mn mUrK ikau qwih ibswrw ]

man moorakh kio thaahi bisaaraa ||

O foolish mind, why have you forgotten Him?

dosu nhI kwhU kau mIqw ]

dhos nehee kaahoo ko meethaa ||

No one is at fault, my friend.

mwieAw moh bMDu pRiB kIqw ]

maaeiaa moh ba(n)dhh prabh keethaa ||

God created the bondage of emotional attachment to Maya.

drd invwrih jw ky Awpy ] nwnk qy qy gurmuiK DRwpy ]34]

dharadh nivaarehi jaa kae aapae || naanak thae thae guramukh dhhraapae ||34||

He Himself removes the pains of the Gurmukh; O Nanak, he is fulfilled. ||34||

A true test of our faith and belief.

This story is from the time of Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj.

A devout, sath-bachni Gursikh and his wife were having problems conceiving. They're only wish to fulfil their married life was to be blessed with the dhath of a son. The Gursikh pleaded before his Guru on a daily basis, "Oh my Vaheguru, bless me with a son, but if a blessing like this is not in my karam, bless me with the strength to overcome this yearning for a boy".

His wife would listen to this every day and sink more and more into a feeling of discontentment. She confided in a friend. "We're longing for a son, and all my husband seems to do is put all his faith into Vaheguru, thinking that mere words to something we don't even know exists will bless us with a son." Her friend, just like her was bemused.

She told the Gursikhs wife, "I know of a baba who is touring in Mundi (town). They say if you go to him with any request, he'll give you a mantar to jaap throughout the day and within a month your wish will be granted"

This made the wife of the Gursikh excited and ecstatic with joy, for there was hope out there for her also. She couldn't wait to go home and tell her husband about it.

Later that night, when her husband came back from the farm, she told him of her joy, and how all their dreams were just a mantar away. Her Gursikh husband was mortified. He couldn't believe she could even think about going to someone else, when every day he had asked his Guru for this blessing. "It's up to Guru Ji to give us this child, and no one else" if you feel that someone else can grant us a child, then I don't think you could ever have my child" he told her. This left his wife feeling upset and reeling at the thought of her husbands blind faith leaving her womb childless.

She decided she would go and visit the baba without telling her husband.

The following day, the Gursikh awoke extra early, and went to the charan of Guru Ji. He fell to their feet and begged them for the blessing of a son. "Guru Ji, my wife and her faith is waning, and we need your help, please, bless us with a son, or take away our yearning. I've heard that when someone comes to your door with a true heart, he never leaves empty handed." He begged with tear filled eyes...

At the same time, his wife, secretly visited the Baba who could "perform miracles" and told him of her woes and 'suffering'. The baba smiled, "leh" he said, "Is that all? I have this mantar child, you must recite this continuously for a month, and you shall see the profits of my powers yourself."

Lo and behold, 9 Months later, the pair were blessed, with not only one son, but two - twins. The Gursikh amazed held his wife close as they cradled their bundles of joy, "See," he told her, "I told you, My Guru Ji is dayal, the giver of everything, he has blessed us with this dhaat today, I told you" he said, before he began to whisper Gurmanter into the ears of his children.

The wife sniggered, she couldn't believe her Gursikh husband was still thinking that these children were the gifts of his Guru Ji! "You and your Guru Ji" she said, "If we'd waited for you, then we never would have been blessed with these two angels" The Gursikh turned to his wife, in disbelief of what he was hearing? she continued "I had to go behind your back to Baba Ji, he is the one who has blessed us with this dhaat, no Guru of yours!".

Krodh took over this Gursikh, and he couldn't think straight, his wife had not only betrayed him, but also betrayed his Guru, his ardaas, his everything. Rage took over and he ran with the two children he ran and ran with his wife behind him. He finally stopped at the bank of a river. There he apologised to Guru ji, and threw the two babies into the river, which wasn't too deep, but was enough to take the last breaths of the two.

His wife couldn't believe what had happened, she began to hit the Gursikh continuously. "HOW COULD YOU" she was screaming, whilst weeping for her lost loves. He retored back, "If these children are those your Baba blessed us with, then I would like to spend the resyt of my life childless"

This continued for a while, and the wife had gone wild in the pind, telling everyone how her husband had murdered her two sons in blind faith of his supposed Guru.

At this point, both were summonded to Guru Sahibs court; where they were asked what the problem was. Guru Sahib, sitting at their court, cross legged with a shawl covering them listened intently to the stories of the two.

"So he thinks you blessed with these children, when you and I both know that Baba ji blessed us.. and now they're gone.." the wife wept as she told of her pain.

Guru Ji listened as both of them pleaded their stories, and then put them to the test he turned to them both and said, "I believe both of you, but only one is right therefore, go back to the person who you feel has granted you this dhen and ask them to bring your two dead children back. The Gursikhs wife looked shocked. But Guru Ji continued. "If this person, could bless you with the life of two sons, then he can surely do the same again"

The woman began to cry, "No, you don't understand, he gave me a mantar to recite, that is what gave me sons life? everyone know's bringing these two children back to life would be impossible? no one can perform that miracle"

The Gursikh however, interrupted "Guru Ji" he said, falling to their feet, "Guru Ji, you are the giver of life, proved to us that you were indeed the one who gave life to our sons" he begged for Guru Ji to perfom this miracle.

His wife stood back and watched, before saying "Yes, Guru Ji, if you're asking that of me, then surely you too should do the same, we all know this is impossible and could never happen, but if you think it can, and if you think it was you who gave life to my children, then I would ask that you bring my children back to life"

As the couple pleaded infront of Guru Ji, they began lifting the shawl from

their lap there lay two little babies. Guru Ji wept as they held the Gursikh close to them, "My child," they said, "your belief and love for me have prevailed" For in their lap lay two little babies. "When you threw your two babies into the nadi (river), I caught them in my lap, and they have been in my godhi me ever since.

The Gursikh and his wife fell to the feet of Dhan Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj and wept with them, they realised, that indeed, anyone who, with a true heart asks anything of their Guru will always be blessed. No other human, deity, force could ever have granted them with such a blessing as that one of life.

==========

Its easy for us all to turn to someone who is with us here and now in physical form, and believe that it is that person blessing us with all the gifts we have in

life.

He never tires from giving, giving, giving.. we tire from taking, but he, never.

dydw dy lYdy Qik pwih ]

dhaedhaa dhae laidhae thhak paahi ||

The Great Giver keeps on giving, while those who receive grow weary of receiving.

jugw jugMqir KwhI Kwih ]

jugaa juga(n)thar khaahee khaahi ||

Throughout the ages, consumers consume.

There is only one true giver, he, the one who gave us life and the one who can take it away...

Vaheguru...

Bhul Chuk Maaf. - Forgive me for my many mistakes.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...