Des Hoya Pardes Movie Review

Ok well I'm sure many of you saw who was at the movie's music release ceremony with Gurdas Maan (it was KPS Gill), so right there it gave you an idea of what to expect.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2004/20041111/chd.htm

Anyways saw the movie and here is my OPINION:

First of all the most striking thing is that it was a Punjabi movie and the actors couldn't speak Punjabi correctly. Don't know if the dialogues were written badly or if the actors just couldn't speak Punjabi, probbaly both. For all of you western youth who get greif for not knowing Punjabi, don't worry it seems that people in Punjab don't know how to speak Punjabi either. Thanks to Mr Maan, folk legend of Punjab, Punjabi's demise in Hindustan can be seen in a theater near you.

Secondly the movie starts out saying it is 1985. It is amazing to see that not one mention of Darbar Sahib attack is made and it basically just shows Sikh militants going around causing trouble for people trying to establish Hindu-Sikh ekta. There is bhangra and Gidha like nothing happened to Sikhs.

The movie does show the dark side of Punjab Police, the only positive, but even that is shaky as it shows Sikh militants killing innocent people on buses which leads to the head of the police to give the Punjab Police orders to do whatever necessary to control their areas without any questions asked.

Finally probably the most disturbing thing is the downplaying of Sikhi. There is the usual Hindu-Sikh intermarriage stuff. The usual Guru Nanak Dev Ji's photo being worshipped with toof and divas.

Overall, it showed nothing as to why Sikhs took up arms. It succeeds in showing the Police high handedness but fails to tell the Sikhs' story. again the Sikhs with guns were some wild Pakistan trained lunatics out to destroy harmony in Punjab.

Personally left the theater saying, another one of our own has done it again.

P.S. For people who don't support khalistan, you won't be affected by the kharkoos being shown as criminals, but I would hope that those people would at least acknowledge the butchering of the Punjabi language. the movie is supposed to eb dubbed in Hindi but to be honest with you 60% is already in Hindi.

Peace.

Gurdass Maan has never been pro-Sikh (please don't cite his religious song).

-he once sang a song which said "dhoti tey pothi shadoo, eh gala vadh diya"....which means "let go of your underwear and religious scriptures (hinting at SGGS), these things are secondary"

-he's always had this overly patriotic tinge

-his patriotiism is evident in his songs where warns people not to "slander your country which feeds you"

-he has sufi/muslim leanings

I had a bad feeling when I heard he was doing a movie using the 80's as a backdrop.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

The guy claims to be a Sikh, puts on a turban when he wants to release a kirtan cassette, sings about Eid and I so think he has converted. But then I thought you have to be a Sikh to convert out of it so he never actually converted out.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh