Fat Sikhs

Nama Singh

VJKK VJKF

Is it ok for GurSikhs to be fat or unfit or unhealthy?

Theres the argument that if you have an overweight Singh how is he expecting to defend himself should a battle or war arise tomorrow? Shouldnt Sikhs always be ready, mentaly and physically fit to rise to such situations? If youre unfit, how you expecting to run or walk miles if need be...? You might walk it but if ure attacked on the way and ure out of breath, then u wont be fit enough to defend ureself or worse, someone else.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even modern doctors and dieticians preach moderation and selection in eating. Guru Nanak Dev Jee preached "the pleasures of foods are false. Eat not that with which the body is ruined, and wickedness and corruption enter into the mind" [see A].

The general instruction to the Sikhs is to eat simple food in moderation and to avoid too many rich (in cholesterol, and etc.?) foods [see B].

"Fareed, my bread is simple and hard, and hunger is my appetizer. Those who eat buttered bread (food rich in cholesterol) will suffer terrible problems" [see C].

[A]

bwbw horu Kwxw KusI KuAwru ] ijqu KwDY qnu pIVIAY mn mih clih ivkwr ]1] rhwau ]

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=60

Obviously, it means that food is fake

sIgwr imT rs Bog Bojn sBu JUTu ikqY n lyKey ]

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=746

once again, all fake

iPtu ievyhw jIivAw ijqu Kwie vDwieAw pytu ]

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=2965

excellent line, about filling one's belly

jyqy rs srIr ky qyqy lgih duK ]2]

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=4664

going on to speak of how we should do things in moderation

imiQAw rsnw Bojn An sÍwd ]

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=912

false is our food/tongue (actually this should have gone in A, d'oh)

[C]

PrIdw rotI myrI kwT kI lwvxu myrI BuK ] ijnw KwDI copVI Gxy shingy duK ]28]

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=5238

just the quote

VJKK VJKF

Theres the argument that if you have an overweight Singh how is he expecting to defend himself should a battle or war arise tomorrow? Shouldnt Sikhs always be ready, mentaly and physically fit to rise to such situations? If youre unfit, how you expecting to run or walk miles if need be...? You might walk it but if ure attacked on the way and ure out of breath, then u wont be fit enough to defend ureself or worse, someone else.

87695[/snapback]

have you not answered your own question nama singh?

have you not answered your own question nama singh?

Its good to keep in mind these things, as most obese people are so busy in working and making money and providing for their family, that they forget about their PHYSICAL, mental, and spiritual health.

There are a ton of benefits for exercising not just keeping the body in shape but MANY mental, emotional, and spiritual benefits.

For example, if someone who stretches/exercises and keeps fit by eating fresh fruits/vegetables is in a better physical state and can sit in meditation for a longer period of time.

A good question is how many of us exercise atleast 3 times per week (REQUIRED), and do some weight lifting?

Well.. if you guys wanted to get all scientific about it...

1) to build up your health you must excercise 3-7 times a week)

2) once in shape you may need to work out only once a week

3) working out helps you mentally (no joke)

If you go down to IN (i believe? i'll have to check on that later) you'll notice they have the largest PE system down there. 2 years after they had the program (same teachers same everything else, basically) the children's grades went up. And have still been going up.

The reason being is that when you workout

1) you stimulate the body (and therefore your mind)

2) by stimulating the body&mind you increase blood flow throughout

i kinda take issue with pointing to one line or two lines of gurbaani to prove it..

i'm not denying the point, cuz, clearly there's a point that's being made, and it's probably the right one too... but like..for example (and i'm not picing on you, but just uusing an example), the baani that smartsingh24 pointed us to, he's asked us to look at the last line only..yet when we look at it in terms of the entire shabad, the meaning changes slightly..

and then if we move to pauri's 9 and 10 of that same shabad (because the link he provided shows pauris 7 and 8), it says something like "if you get beatings, put on the garb of the yogis robes" or something along those lines..and clearly it's metapohrical...

VJKK VJKF

87695[/snapback]

sometimes people are overweight because its genetic, there was a child who was born like 14lbs.... its not there fault, so you cant say to them that they cant be Sikhs. Another thing, yes a Singh should always be ready for battle, but a battle does not only involve fighting, it also involves, gathering info, maybe informing people.... there are alot of things that are done behind the actual fighting.

I would be careful making an argument like this. It is true that everyone should try to be in the best shape possible. for themselves and as you say so they are ready and can help protect.

imagine that u helped someone who was overweight, if someone was beating them up and u jumped in or something, and they are so intrigued with you and Sikhi that this person wants to come into sikhi. it would kind of be hard to say no to them, would it not? we are not supposed to discriminate against them.... i guess we can encourage them though....

pul chuk maaf

Fateh