Fat Sikhs

Nama Singh

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, fat isn't genetic. Metabolism might be, but studes(don't ask me which casue i read time not the actual studies tongue.gif ) show that fat is linked from Parent to Chilidren through the way act. In laymen's terms (the ones for not quite as sharp people like you and I) if a Parent is Obese, you'd wanna bet your money that the Children are going to be obese.

Fateh,

just a question, say it was mandatory for Sikhs to be fit if they want to take Amrit, since they need to be fit in order to be ready for war at any time, unless it is genetic and God given, how will we distinguish between people who have let loose or genetic? :umm: would a health test be mandatory before taking amrit?

pul chuk maaf

Fateh

Actually, fat isn't genetic. Metabolism might be, but studes(don't ask me which casue i read time not the actual studies tongue.gif ) show that fat is linked from Parent to Chilidren through the way act. In laymen's terms (the ones for not quite as sharp people like you and I) if a Parent is Obese, you'd wanna bet your money that the Children are going to be obese.

87846[/snapback]

doesnt that mean its in the genes and its genetic ? grin.gif

* edited * my bad :umm: ur right motabalism is.... not fat tongue.gif

Fateh,

just a question, say it was mandatory for Sikhs to be fit if they want to take Amrit, since they need to be fit in order to be ready for war at any time, unless it is genetic and God given, how will we distinguish between people who have let loose or genetic? :umm: would a health test be mandatory before taking amrit?

pul chuk maaf

Fateh

87854[/snapback]

Nah, we're just saying it's advisable for sikhs not to be fat. And there are other reasons to not be fat besides being *ahem* prepared for war rolleyes.gif

yeah it can be genetic, i took kines n i learned:

your body has an idea of how much it should weigh...when u try to lose weight it tries to keep the smae weight level by slowing ur metabolism more...the best way to counter this is:

instead of eating 3 big meals a day eat 6 small ones and excircise.......do alot of carido to push your metabolism n be consistant

Sar Sri Akal:

Ok, here is some Pendu science about the fatness:

Genetics do not determine that you will be fat. Genetics do (as someone already stated) determine your metabolism. This is based on generations upon generations of adjusting to the availability of food in the regions that your ancestors inhabited. There are Native American tribes in the U.S. (case study is the Pima Indians) whose ancestors were used to gorging themselves in times of plenty, knowing that they would suffer large periods of starvation later in the year. The body adjusted in such a way in which the body stored EVERYTHING extra and lowered the metabolic rate to compensate for the starvation period ahead. In Punjab, the farmers and labourers were fed massive diets of butter beacuse their work was in the fields. They burned it off everyday at work.

Forward to the current times. Food is plenty. We have essentially given a shock to our body with the plentiful availability of food. The bodies that were adjusted to large amounts of physical activity or long periods of starvation are now sitting idly by enjoying the "finest things life has to offer"...in the process making ourselves unhealthy.

Exercise is not something that humans used to do...it came with their day to day activities. You did not drive to your local donut shop right down the street...you walked a mile to and from work to a meal cooked at home (a diet that the body had adjusted to over generations).

So this period of plenty is something our bodies are not used to. The body is still running in that old pre-programmed mode of saving up and conserving food for many cultures. The reason so many Punjabis have heart disease is because the diet is the same rich energy source...just nothing is done with it. The reason that the Pima Indians are the most obese people in the U.S. is because suddenly, after all these generations, food had become available. Their bodies are still trying to save up for that starvation period...which never comes.

(P.S. Typing this nonsense burned like 20 calories...yay... rolleyes.gif ).

I have always been very athletically inclined and very much into working out. I think part of it came from pride in sikh martial history growing up. The other part came from the way a young child with a joora thinks he would counter fighting challenges on the playground, that is by working out and out of necessity developing a reputation for being “tough”. I am of the same opinion that Sikhs should be radiant and part of this being healthy.

BUT PLEASE be very careful of becoming righteous when it comes to ideas about “fat”. There are numerous unhealthy things that come ahead of what cultures adopt as desirable body images. Sometimes the most desirable body images are very unhealthy, in fact anorexic.

Sometimes the biggest challenge for people with a certain body types is not physical health, but mental health. That mental health challenge is a direct result of “normal” body types around them being stupid in their assumptions. So the root illness is not obesity of the so called obese but the stupidity of those who judge them. It’s nice to see the posts here respectful,and others even insightful.

“Fat” has evolved in our language to have many hurtful connotations. If it’s a descriptor that comes to mind when we first meet someone we are being very immature and no different than someone who is racist or sexist.

This being said, a sikh should always strive to be healthy and fit in mind, body and spirit. They all go hand in hand.