Acceptance Of Religions In Sikhi

Nidhi

Sikhi respects everyone's right of way and how they choose to walk on the path of love to God.

May Waheguru bless everyone.

However the teachings of Guru Granth Sahib Ji are universal and apply to everyone irrespective of Sikh or not.

You can still be a Hindu, Christian or Muslim and follow Guru Granth Sahib Ji's teachings.

"Too Saanjha Saahib, Baap Hamaara"

Sewa - Simran - Sangat.

Nothing wrong with different religions - however we must take in account that man corrupts religious thought and people have wavered from true path to Waheguru. (Gurbaani says it all).

I am studying BA Religious Studies. Things I would like to share, which I have learnt:

1/ Bible not written by Jesus, rather his followers wrote Bible about 100 years after Jesus was crucified.

2/ Church and present Christian religion is set up by Early Church Fathers in 4th century CE

3/ Koran was "ORALLY" transmitted to the Prophet Muhammad. The Qur'an was "WRITTEN" and recorded later after the Prophet's death during the time of the First and Second Caliphs.

4/ There was a Qur'an burning during the reign of the third Caliph. There were different versions and variations of the Qur'an recorded by followers of Muhammad. The Third Caliph selected what he thought was appropriate and burnt the rest - result = the present Qur'an.

5/ "The Son of God" in Christianity is a translation of "Messiah" from Herbrew to Greek. The closest concept of "Messiah" in Greek vocabularly and thought was "Son of god" (i.e. like Hercules is son of Zeus etc), this was the nearest concept which gave same value of Messiah... later this was accepted as literal Son of God by Church Fathers.

shaheed

guru nanak dev ji also said that line before sant jarnail singh ji said it

my mistake thank you i didnt know

im minoring in Religious Studies my self veerji and you said:

"The Son of God" in Christianity is a translation of "Messiah" from Herbrew to Greek. The closest concept of "Messiah" in Greek vocabularly and thought was "Son of god" (i.e. like Hercules is son of Zeus etc), this was the nearest concept which gave same value of Messiah... later this was accepted as literal Son of God by Church Fathers.

the jews were waiting for another massiah after king David Jesus himself being a Jew was thought to be the next massiah, but alot of jews rejected that notion b/c he wasnt of royalty, and did not lead them to there own land and other reason, but i learned that Massiah Means "anointed one" and not the Son of GOd.......actully he was named son of GOD much later by the Nicene Creed after a big debate....

correct me if im wrong....

True Paaji about Nicene Creed - the Biblical language problems stemmed from Greek re-interpretation of the Chrisitanity and Christian theologians aiming to present Christianity in Greek terms because everyone thought the Greeks were advanced and intellectual etc.

Nicene Creed solidified the concepts such as "Son of God" and later re-confirmed by the Chalcaedon Council

Just for the record, Muslims are not instructed to kill all Jews in the Qur'an.

88539[/snapback]

There was a Qur'an burning during the reign of the third Caliph. There were different versions and variations of the Qur'an recorded by followers of Muhammad. The Third Caliph selected what he thought was appropriate and burnt the rest - result = the present Qur'an.

so is this true then yasmin or not grin.gif .....coz for some reason all my muslim friends I have asked deny it <_<

Although I understand and appreciate what you are saying by this:

Nidhi penji tell your friend:

"A good Christian, is a good Sikh"

"A good Hindu, is a good Sikh"

"A good Muslim, is a good Sikh

One must be careful when saying such things, as this is the same thing that I have heard from many hindu's and muslims in the past. That Hinduism is the primal 'religion' and all others are variations of it, while I have heard muslims claim that moses and jesus were muslims also muhammad being the last prophet in the true creation of islam, hence all christians and jews are muslims (the rest he said were 'kafirs' but he did say it in a very nice way lol). Point being that our own faith is very dear to us, when you start telling people that you are actually a sikh or a muslim via definition of your good deeds, you take something away from them. Ultimately a hindu is not a sikh, a sikh is not a muslim, we have our different beliefs and practices. Yes guru ji pointed out some of the mis-practices that are in their religions, but also the philospohical differences, e.g. guru ji on many instances says that the vedas, purrans, qurans know not the truth. Whether or not the quran is in the original form as muhmmad heard is debatable, but as far as I know guru ji has not specified whetehr the quaran was changed or not (correct me if im wrong), however he does still disagree with their practices and certain beliefs.

With regards to sikhs, to be a good sikh means to have both the inner and outer qualities. In this respect the statement quoted above does not follow logically. Ultimately it will depend on what a definition of a good sikh, a good hindu and a good muslim is. To equate the three is near enough imposible, with all due respect since we cannot 100% say we know for sure what the true face of islam or christianity is, we cannot hence say that they are the same as sikhs. Im sure christians and muslims beive that they are following their faith fully, and I will not argue with them, since I have no giaan with which to do so.

Yes respect is there, do we agree with the, on many instances no we do not. However as mentioned the qualities of a good human being are eveident in greater or lesser extents in all. It is these that deserve to be stressed during multifaith dialouge.

As regards the question what would we say IF one faith said it was right to treat another people as inferior and simple as target practice, then that act is not one of dharam, rightousnous. Since we are practioners of dharam we would oppose that act. Although we have respect for all, one should not sit by and allow the 'right' of a rapist or murder to get away with such deeds, even if they are claimed as justified via his faith. To eliminate a tyrant or papi is one thing, to butcher someone based on faith grounds alone is not the act of a dharmic soul. Hence it will be oppossed.

Thx for ur response all! Appriciate that a lot!!

Yasmin:

Tabari VII:97 After the assassination, the Prophet declared, ‘Kill every Jew.’”

Bukhari:V1B1N6 “Just issue orders to kill every Jew in the country.” http://www.islam.com/reply.asp?id=477507&ct=9&mn=477507

Tabari IX:69 “Killing disbelievers is a small matter to us.”

http://www.prophetofdoom.net/paul_johnson.html

koran 008.012

SHAKIR: When your Lord revealed to the angels: I am with you, therefore make firm those who believe. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them.

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/008.qmt.html

Tabari IX:76 “Malik has reported to me that you were the first

from Himyar to embrace Islam and that you have killed infidels,

so rejoice at your good fortune.”

http://www.abrahamic-faith.com/pod/quotes1.html

Koran 009.005

SHAKIR: So when the sacred months have passed away, then slay the idolaters wherever you find them, and take them captives and besiege them and lie in wait for them in every ambush, then if they repent and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate, leave their way free to them; surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

http://www.islam.com/all-replies.asp?id=40...ct=15&mn=407307

While looking at the links, copy/paste the koran/tabari nr in the search function (ctrlB)and it'll be easier. Or google:)

As far as my petit knowledge goes, the Prophet has given instructions to kill any jews as quoted above. There are some astute observers, holding the opinion that those who say 'that it is against islam', are contradicting the prophet, and thus committing blasphemy.

Anyways, thats not what the topic is about.

So... does Sikhi respect such a religion which has such a practice ("good deed") to acheive a place in heaven?

AK-47:

1. Guru ji on many instances says that the vedas, purrans, qurans know not the truth. 

2. Yes respect is there, do we agree with the, on many instances no we do not.

As regards the question what would we say IF one faith said it was right to treat another people as inferior and simple as target practice, then that act is not one of dharam, rightousnous. Since we are practioners of dharam we would oppose that act. Although we have respect for all, one should not sit by and allow the 'right' of a rapist or murder to get away with such deeds, even if they are claimed as justified via his faith. To eliminate a tyrant or papi is one thing, to butcher someone based on faith grounds alone is not the act of a dharmic soul. Hence it will be oppossed.

88610[/snapback]

1. If Guru Nanak Dev ji says that all these granthi's does not know the truth, then where's the respect? That's the same my friend said: "only Christianity is the truth, rest is false". Hence, he has no respect for my religion:s

Does anyone know some punktiya from SriGGSJ... that Sikhi does respects all other religions or is that just an interpreation of some punktiya's? If yes, which ones?

2. Sikhi respects all religions, but at the same time some of their practices are opposed... right? But when it's a good deed in Islam and u will achieve a place in heaven by performing preactices such as killing or raping, stoning, etc. Then Sikhi respects their way of acheiving a place in heaven as well. Thus, we respect their practices.

But Sikhi does not believe in killing coz of race...

So should that be justified by their ignorance or what...

Or should I just shut up, stop wondering and tell him that... Sikhi respects all religions, but opposes some inhumane practices... Fullstop! Also I could mention that SriGGSJ has some quotes from the Koran and Muslim people as well. (Don't know about the bible).

One more thing on the record... Bull chuk maff!

Think I got my answer from: http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.ppa?showtopic=10082&hl=