Acceptance Of Religions In Sikhi

Nidhi

Olaaa Seniorita's and Senior's

Had a talk with a christian orthodox from class today...

Isn't it true that Sikhi accepts all religions. We have one goal which is to unite with God, however we have different ways of doing that.

And one Guru (think its Guru Nanak Ji) said: "be a Sikh, becum a betta Sikh, be a Muslim, becum a betta Muslim, be a Christain, becum a betta Christian" etc.

... to unite with God.

Interpretated as acceptance of all religions right?? Or what, plz enlighten me...

So he asked... now what if it's a Muslim's duty to kill all the jews? If it's in Islam (Koran) is a good deed to do so and in their eyes he will becum a betta Muslim...

...will he even than unite with God?

Surely we can agree upon that its not a good action to kill a human being.

So if he is following his religion from top till toe, kills jews and is a good Muslim.

... But he's killing, so he wont unite right?

Than how does Sikhism accept other religions?

Hope u comprehend my two-edged points...

wjkk wjkf

In Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, the words of Kabir Ji are recorded as follows:

Do not say that the Vedas, the Bible and the Koran are false. Those who do not contemplate them are false.

Pannaa 1350, Line 5 -- Kabir

In this manner, if someone reads the Qur'an and finds the message they get is to kill all Jews, as this will please Allah, then I think it boild down to the fact that such an individual had not contemplated the teachings enough. While we accept religions, we don't have to accept every single word every single opinion, every single member of a religion forwards- such individuals are often misguided, and as such being dismissive of their views does not eqaute to disrespecting any true religion. We have to draw a line somewhere, and I think the above quote informs us of the most appropriate place to do so.

First off, respect is the biggest thing. we've been taught that u follow ur guru. u follow him the best u can. even as Sikh's u follow what the punj pyare told you when you took amrit, it could be different from what someone else was told. but these are the rules that were given to you and you have to stay strong to them. you should give 100% to what u have learned. what is taught to you. dont be someone whos inbetween. u know, like ur not Muslim ur not Sikh, ur not really Hindu... then u lose urself u lose ur identity. if ur a muslim, then u follow that, you follow it strong, those were the words that were given to you. we may not think that they are right but will respect you for being a true muslim. there are a lot of times ive looked at muslims and think, i dont agree to what they are doing, but the one thing that has me in awe is that they believe something, and they stick to it, no ifs ands or buts... they were told something by their guru, prophet and everyone be damned if they break from it or go away from his word. I respect them for following their guru. I think that is what is meant here. I could be way off, but... thats my two cents...

pul chuk maaf

Fateh

And one Guru (think its Guru Nanak Ji) said: "be a Sikh, becum a betta Sikh, be a Muslim, becum a betta Muslim, be a Christain, becum a betta Christian" etc.
i think u mean Muslim pakka muslim baneh, sikh pakka sikh baneh, hindu pakka hindu baneh, it means if ur gonna call ur self a muslim or sikh or hindu be a proper one and dont follow it half @$$ed. and Sant Jarnail Singh Ji Said it not a guru.
So he asked... now what if it's a Muslim's duty to kill all the jews? If it's in Islam (Koran) is a good deed to do so and in their eyes he will becum a betta Muslim...

from what ive studied it says to change them and show them (or purify)the true way (islam) is a good deed, ppl who say kill have mis interpreted....in fact history proves this is not true...because jews sikhs christians are ppl of the book soo were acceptable enough that muslims are techniqally alowed to even marry a person of the book, and christians and jews lived under muslim rule for thousands of years in harmony the only thing is they had to pay a lil bit extra tax to be from a different faith (common in all rulerships)

Surely we can agree upon that its not a good action to kill a human being.

So if he is following his religion from top till toe, kills jews and is a good Muslim.

... But he's killing, so he wont unite right?

well so now that we know that killing them isnt a goal lets look at :

accept i think is the wrong word, Respect is better.....any faith that shows sharda to ONE SUPREME GOD is worthy of a sikhs respect and it is pointless to convert/ argue with them...but to live your own path

Guru Nanak Sahib did not say "be true Christian if Christian, if true Hindu but true Hindu... " etc.

That is a quote of Shaheed Baba Jarnail Singh Ji Bhindranwale.

What I believe Sikhi preaches is that there is one path to to the One Waheguru.

The path is "LOVE"

However, how you walk that path can be different.

Truth is universal.

A good Muslim is a Gurmukh.

A good Christian is a Gurmukh.

A good Hindu is a Gurmukh.

Being a good Muslim doesn't mean circumcising oneself and going on pilgrimage to Mecca.

Being a good Christian doesn't mean that Jesus is the Son of God and that if you don't believe in Jesus you won't go to Heaven.

Being a good Hindu doesn't mean that one should do idol worship and pray to one's ancestor.

A true Hindu, Christian, Muslim and Sikh lives in the Will of Waheguru, remembers Waheguru directly, follows the advice and teachings of their respective Guru and rejects blind rituals and practices.

Desciption of True Muslim, True Hindu, A True Gurmukh:

ang 140

salok mehula 1

Shalok, First Mehl:

mihur maseet, sidak muslaa, hak halaal kuraan

Let mercy be your mosque, faith your prayer-mat, and honest living your Koran.

saram sunnath, seel rojaa, hohu musulumaan

Make modesty your circumcision, and good conduct your fast. In this way, you shall be a true Muslim.

karnee kaabaa, sach peer, kalmaa karam nivaaj

Let good conduct be your Kaabaa, Truth your spiritual guide, and the karma of good deeds your prayer and chant.

thasbee saa tis bhaavsee, naanak rakhai laaj

Let your rosary be that which is pleasing to His Will. O Nanak, God shall preserve your honor. ||1||

ang 477

aasaa

Aasaa:

hindoo turak kehaa te, aae kin eaeh raah chalaaee

Where have the Hindus and Muslims come from? Who put them on their different paths?

dil mehi soch bichaar kavaadey bhisat dojak kin paaee

Think of this, and contemplate it within your mind, O men of evil intentions. Who will go to heaven and hell? ||1||

kaajee tai kavan kateb bakhaanee

O Qazi, which book have you read?

parrath gunat aise sabh maare, kinehoo(n) khabar na jaanee

Such scholars and students have all died, and none of them have discovered the inner meaning. ||1||Pause||

sakath sunehu kar sunnath kareeai, mai na budougaa bhaaee

Because of the love of woman, circumcision is done; I don't believe in it, O Siblings of Destiny.

jo re khudhaae mohi turak karaigaa, aapan hee katt jaaee

If God wished me to be a Muslim, it would be cut off by itself. ||2||

sunnath keeeae turak jae hoeigaa, aourat kaa kiaa kareeai

If circumcision makes one a Muslim, then what about a woman?

aradh sareeree naar na chhoddai, taa te hindoo hee reheeai

She is the other half of a man's body, and she does not leave him, so he remains a Hindu. ||3||

chhaadd kateb raam bhaj bourey, julam karat hai bhaaree

Give up your holy books, and remember the Lord, you fool, and stop oppressing others so badly.

kabeerai pakree ttaek raam kee, turak rehey pachihaaree

Kabeer has grasped hold of the Lord's Support, and the Muslims have utterly failed. ||4||8||

I believe with everyone above..

There is one key thing in every religion is to be fully devoted. You fully respect your religion that guru sahib has brought you in this world in, and you follow it to the max.

Like many have mentioned there are things that we may not like or think its wrong in other religions, like idol worshipping in Hinduism, only muslims can be saved in Islam, etc...

But what one thing every religion has in common is total devotion towards God (Dont know about Atheists... no comment...). But what sikhi teaches is, is that we should respect one another for who we are, afterall, this is our fate that we have been brought up in a certain religion and its up to our past karm if we can realize the truth about guru sahib and live a life totally devoted to Guru ji.

... everything that will happen, will happen, according to Guru ji, our fate is already predetermined... i strongly believe that we all came on this earth for a purpose. We may think that ohh i did nothing, no one benefitted from me, im a joke i dont wanna exist anymore (even i think like this sometimes) ... but there is something that triggers us to believe that, no, GURU SAHIB, by his grace, we are what we are today, and we can not keep putting ourselves down...

Again, i have many friends who are really devoted Christians, Muslims and Hindus, and what sikhi teaches us is to respect all of them <_< ... show them that we can live in this world together... and happy...

Just my two cents...

Fatehh

ang 556

Mehula 1:

First Mehl:

hindoo mooley bhooley akhuttee jaahee

The Hindus have forgotten the Primal Lord; they are going the wrong way.

naarad kehiaa so pooj karaahee

As Naarad instructed them, they are worshipping idols. They are blind and mute, the blindest of the blind.

paathar le poojehi mugadh gavaar

The ignorant fools pick up stones and worship them.

ouhi jaa aap ddubey, tum kehaa taranhaar

But when those stones themselves sink, who will carry you across? ||2||

Vaar 1, Bhai Gurdaas Ji

pushun gul eemaan dhee kaazee mulaa eikuthae hoee

Qazi and maulvis got together and began discussing religion.

vuddaa saag vuruthaaeiaa lukh n sukae kudhurath koee

A great fantasy has been created and no one could understood its mystery.

pushun khol kithaab noon vuddaa hindhoo kee musulumaanoee

They asked Baba Nanak to open and search in his book whether Hindu is great or the Muslim.

baabaa aakhae haazeeaa shubh amulaa baajho dhovae roee

Baba replied to the pilgrim hajis, that, without good deeds both will have to weep and  wail.

hindhoo musulumaan dhoe dhurugehi andhur lain n toee

Only by being a Hindu or a Muslim one  can not get accepted in the court of the Lord.

kuchaa rung kusunbh kaa paanee dhothai thir n rehoee

As the colour of safflower is impermanent and is washed away in water, likewise the colours of religiosity are also temporary.

kurun bukheelee aap vich raam reheem kuthaae khuloee

(Followers of both the religions) In their  expositions, denounce Ram and Rahim.

raah shaithaanee dhuneeaa goee

The whole of the world is following the ways of Satan.