PlZ READ: Run your own Business

Hi, nice forum :TH:

Haven't got anything of my own to post yet, but take a look at the following article, written by an american woman Gursikh, its about the need and advantage for Sikhs to run their own companies. Anyway please READ!!

I'm sitting here at my computer desk, in turban with a veil (chuni), kirpan laying heavy on my hip, kara jangling along with some other bracelets, and there's a laugh inside me because I consider myself incredibly, unbelievably modern. There's a saying among some of us in Sikh Dharma. "We're what cool wants to be." A group of us walking down the street causes every head to turn with curiosity, suprise and delight. Have you ever seen a group of Sikh Dharma women, dressed to the tens in white, with their chunis flowing in the breeze? It's like a bunch of angels. Not untouchable angels, mind you. Smart, funny, powerful angels. People take a breath and step back. It's better than the best fashion at Saks Fifth Avenue.

So-here we have cultural ships passing in the night. I was born and grew up in the US. Learned how to put on make-up when I was 12. How to shave my legs when I was 14. Went through phases of trying to find my "look." For a while it was the gypsy look-long, flowing skirts and off-the-shoulder blouses. Then, it was the gothic look. Only wore black. When I became a Sikh, I can't tell you how relieved I was to not have to worry about it anymore. I love wearing bana. It allows me to be an absolutely beautiful woman without compromising my grace. It's not about sex appeal-it's a much higher vibration. And then there's always the practical part of it. Since everything I own is white (or a variation of white), I don't have to spend any time trying to be color coordinated.

I think the issue with wearing bana doesn't have anything to do with modernity. It has to do with economics. I am very lucky because I work for Sikh Dharma. Everyone around here wears bana-there's no problem with it. But if I had to go out into that other world and find a job, I know it would challenge me. I'd like to think that I'd be up to it, and not feel insecure about looking different from other people, but I'm sure it would be difficult. It's not about being modern or not-it's about whether someone is going to be willing to hire you if you look so different. And that's a real concern. Everyone has to earn a living, eat, have a roof over their heads, right?

But there is another solution besides making it a choice between wearing bana or being able to survive economically in the world. The other choice is for Sikhs to create businesses that employee lots of people where it's perfectly acceptable for fellow-Sikhs to dress in bana.

Akal Security is one of our businesses. It started because one of Siri Sing Sahib ji's students, Guru Tej Singh, attended the police academy. He finished top of his class. Number one. With honors. And he couldn't get a job because of the long hair and turban.

Siri Singh Sahib ji said to him, "Don't worry Guru Tej. W'll start our own security company. One day-we'll hire them."

And so it's true. Akal Security today has over 5000 employees, many of whom are former police officers. At headquarters, there are many many Sikhs-all wearing bana-there's no issue, no conflict with the work.

This, to me, is the Khalsa spirit. The days of Guru Gobind Singh are not so different than our days. It's just that, rather than kings and sultans occupying territory, there are coporations controlling resources. We can "fit in" and have those corporations accept us and support us. Or-we can start our own companies, make our own rules, live according to the Guru's rehit and answer to no one but ourselves.

The former way is fine (fitting in), but the latter is just so much more FUN...

God bless.

Ek Ong Kaar Kaur

<_< :wub: :wub:

yeah that article makes sense!

i recently got a new job at a sikh recreation and learning centre and its so cool, so different to working at other places, last place done my head in because the peoples' mentality was so limited and all they talked about was sex and alcohol etc and each time i used to try and explain there was so much more to life i just ended up being pushed away! also now if i say Vaheguru (when im meant to say something else like hello/bye etc) to the people i deal with i get smiled at rather than people thinking im crazeeeeeeee!!!!! plus i work right next to a Gurdwara - beat that!!! :TH:

WJKK WJKF

It's good and very admirable to be able to have this kind of vision and hope for the future. Goes to show the all-round abilities of Khalsa.

Yet, we CAN also be an integral part of society, as leaders of other corporations too. IMHO this is beneficial as adeptness of Sikhi's broad-mindedness and ability to adapt yet stay firm in one's standards is exemplified. Our faith/ religion is not about rigidities or right/ wrong answers; more rather, a learning curve on the path of life. It mainly depends on the attititude and outlook of the individual. Optimism AND realism is key.

Here's a related link; should prove encouraging to Singhs/ Singhnees alike.

job search

NB For the youth, attaining qualifications is an advantage in the market; but more importantly, alongside this- have confidence in your abilities and talents. Utilise your potential NOW with the resources you have available.

We must remember that it is necessary to build the professional skills of the work-place in order to set up a successful business. Then with strong honest ethical principles of true Khalsa- there's no stopping us!

Just my 2 cents as your budee-fied Bhenjee...

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Waheguru ji Ki Fateh!!