Baba Naudh Singh and an Arya Samajee

Baba Naudh Singh was a great gursikh of 19th century. He was a complete gursikh and a role model to everyone who had one glimpse of his radiant face. This story is taken from “Baba Naudh Singh” by Bhai Veer Singh Ji.

One day there was a talk among the people that one Arya Smajee preacher has come to the village. People picked up their sticks and started marching toward where preacher was sitting to beat him up because he spoke against Guru Nanak Dev Ji. Coincidentally, Baba Naudh Singh was going home through that way. He saw that a man with a haircut and a white beard was surrounded by some people. Baba Naudh Singh asked him, “Brother, how did a person like you with clean clothes decide to stand with people like us with dirty clothes (from farming)?” He said, “I have come to convert all of you into arya.”

Baba: So you will turn us animals into humans?

Arya: Animals are animals and humans are humans. I don’t do miracles.

Baba: My brother, the hardest job for us is to earn our daily food by becoming dirt with dirt. We are not clever people. You should go to the city and preach there.

Arya: We have the job to convert the whole country into arya.

Baba: If you cannot turn animals into humans then what good would it do by making them arya? If people do not realize what is rightfully theirs and someone else’s, if they do not stop stealing and looting others, if they do not learn to live according to will of Waheguru then so what if they call themselves hindus, muslims or arya, they are still animals.

Hearing this arya was left in a shock. Just when he tried to open his mouth to say something, Baba Ji continued: Listen to me, if an animal is hungry, he tries to find food and only then he thinks of stealing other’s food but humans never stop even when they are not hungry. We never want to see others happy. We are worse than animals. What would you accomplish by dividing us into groups? Teach us something good that we stop wasting our hard earned money into drinking and smoking. Teach us to stop fighting so we stop wasting money by going to courts. Teach us to live a peaceful life and stay in brotherhood of humanity. Teach us to Kirat karna, Vand Shakna and Naam Japna. This is good for hindus and muslims. Brother, if you can’t do this then kindly leave. There are some hindu and muslim families in this village. We are living in peace. If you can’t change our animal type thinking and bad habits then tell me what good it would do for you to leave after converting some people. You will leave behind your converted people to fight us over religion. You will leave but brothers will fight brothers and blood will be spilled. I have been to Lahore and have seen all the plays played by pandits and qazis. Go to Lahore, the city of educated. Leave us ignorant alone.

We are stupid and uneducated but we are in peace and brotherhood. After so many debates and fights, the people of this village have stopped going to police station and courts. We have given up poison (drinking) and started drinking milk. We are uneducated people who only know how to work hard in our farms and read Sukhmani Sahib. We help each other. Take a walk around in the village; you will see everyone remembering God. Then tell me why do we need your education?

Arya preacher was now sweating inside and had no answers. After hearing truth and straight forward answers he could not speak but his nature had not been changed. Then angrily he says “So you want to stay uneducated? Never want to learn anything? World has become a happier place after getting some education.”

Baba: Education that doesn’t change a person’s nature and thinking is worthless and waste of time. I don’t need any education that doesn’t change a bad person into a good person and doesn’t fill up a person’s mind with love and peace. Give us education that would make us animals angels. Do you have any teaching that would change our life?

Arya : Tumara Guru Bhee Anpar Thaa, Tabee Aisaa Kehta Hai. (Your Guru was an uneducated person. This is why you make such remarks).

Baba: why not? Yes, my Guru was uneducated but I am sacrificed to my Guru and his teaching, sacrificed to such radiant face that closes my eyes in love and sacrificed to such darkness that makes me see nothing but my Guru. Wah, O my Satguru, sacrificed to your teaching that made angels out of humans.

“A hundred times a day, I am a sacrifice to my Guru; He made angels out of men, without delay. ||1||”

Baba was immersed in the love of Guru and kept repeating this shabad. One young man stepped forward and slapped across arya’s face “Say it again if you dare.” Baba quickly opened his eyes and grabbed young man’s hand and stopped him. Then he quickly hugged the arya preacher and said “Forgive us.” Arya was scared from the slap but now he was in a sudden surprise seeing the love of a Sikh. Then Baba said “What kind of thoughts are you having now? Is it angel thinking? Blood doesn’t wash blood. Love wins the hearts of people. I told you to go to city and preach there.”

By this time, people with sticks and other weapons in their hands had arrived. “Where is that fool who spoke words against Guru Nanak Dev Ji?” asked some people. But seeing Baba Naudh Singh, all stood quietly.

Then Baba said “stop my brothers, this educated man does not know of education that teaches love. His education has only taught him to divide people and cause fights. He does not know about the light of love which is why he is speaking against Guru Ji. We should clear up his misconceptions. If you kill him then his doubts will never be removed. He does not know that slandering is not what God is pleased with. Slandering is part of bad karma. He is a religious person. If he slanders anyone which is a sin then he will not be a religious preacher anymore. A preacher should become religious first then preach to other.”

Listening to straight and simple words arya’s mind started to change a little. He thought that truly slandering is not a good deed which I am preaching. He wondered “I have been preaching slandering, foolishness, hatred and anger all years long but how is this any good?” Then he changed his tone. Baba asked him “Do you have a god?” “Yes, there is only one god” replied arya.

Baba: what does he say? Truth or slander-which should flourish?

Arya: Love should flourish.

Baba: But you caused fights by coming here and put yourself in danger. What kind of message did you preach? God’s message or satan’s message?

Arya: O religious person, your words have pierced through my heart. But tell me; doesn’t a person want his religion to spread? Don’t you want to see more Sikhs?

Baba: I do want to see more Sikhs because a Sikh is a role model, an ideal person, a wonder and a kind of person God wants everybody to become. If the world is filled with such people then this world will become heaven. I do not want thieves, stealers, liars, cheaters and thugs to come to me so I write “Sikh” on their foreheads thinking they have become Sikhs and they never give up their bad habits. That would not make me happy. I will tell you one story of a person who used to take bribes. He wanted to become a Sikh. We told him to stop taking bribes but he refused by saying that his needs will not be fulfilled and he won’t be able to survive. His pay was ten rupees which was not enough but he quit all the bad habits. He had to sell his buffalos, horses and lay off all the servants. His wife had to cook, clean and wash clothes. After a while he had realized the truth. His mind was clean. Then he was given Amrit. He is very religious person now and lives his life according to truth. He himself admits that his disease has been cured and now he is at peace.

Arya: Can you make me a Sikh?

Baba: No.

Arya: Why (asking surprisingly)?

Baba: Don’t mind after hearing the truth.

Arya: I will not.

Baba: I do not wish to have fire in the house of Guru Ji.

Arya: I am fire?

Baba: This is the truth. Bitter but truth. What can I do? I don’t know how to speak like educated city people. You arya came in the village of Sikhs but you started fire in the hearts of everyone. You made everyone angry. By becoming a Sikh you will go to villages of Hindus and Muslims then you will start a fire there but house of Guru is filled with love.

Arya: So you Sikhs don’t bring anyone into your faith?

Baba: We teach people to live peaceful life. I am an ignorant fool but people who speak truth become very wise and angels. Their thinking only seeks goodness of all. They become Sikhs automatically and then they request for Amrit.

Arya: Your words are very sharp and hurt a lot but it is the truth. What if I give up my job, live in your village and become Sikh? Will you provide food for me and take care of me?

Baba: No, never. We don’t have a place or food for you. But you can stay for some days as a guest and only as a brother of us all.

Arya: Why?

Baba: What kind of Sikh will you be depending on others for food? What kind of a person are you who want food first and then Sikhi? A Sikh lives according to the will of God and God gives food to everyone. We don’t do anything.

Arya: You are nothing but pure truth. Today I have learned that I wasted all my life in fights, and slander. I thought everyone was selfish and clever. So I adapted the same ways for my success. For me an ideal religious person was not the one whose heart and mind was clean, who liked to share his food with others and loved God. Today I have seen a true religious person. This person is a wonder. I have won many debates but today I lost and I myself wish to become this ideal person. I request you guys to make me an uneducated but religious and wise person. These villagers are wise, nice and very religious. These villagers are lucky who closed “Theka” (liquor shop) and have turned their faces from court and police station. Please let me stay here.

Now, everyone dropped their sticks. Baba Naudh Singh took arya preacher to Dharamsaal. After diwaan, sangat did ardaas for his forgiveness and instructed him to do Nitnem banis and Sukhmani Sahib. Waking up for Amrit Vela, and doing seva was his daily schedule. He was given little piece of land for farming. He was to learn to farm from others and until then he was to eat at Baba Naudh Singh’s house.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Sat Sri Akal:

What the world thinks and knows is of little importance in the context of this sakhi. The high ideals of what a Sikh is embodied in the Guru Granth Sahib and the Khalsa's definition is embodied by Guru Gobind Singh Sahib.

It is never incumbent to represent any religion by their status quo of followers, but rather the ideals that the faith sets for its followers.

Bhai Naudh Singh Ji is addressing those ideals, not just some dude with a dastaar and a long dhari. His is the thinking that Sant Attar Singh Ji also embodied when saying that it is difficult enough to be a Sikh of Guru Nanak, let alone be called a Sant.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

• 3 weeks later...