who is your favorite ragi jatha.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Someone put the issue of singing Gurbani in Raag only to Bhai Harjinder Singh Jee at the Atam Ras 2004 at Leeds Chapeltown Gurudwara. I think it was the second Diwan. His response was as follows:

He said that Raag Keertan is important. Gurbani is in Raags. However, most people only expect Raag Keertan being done when it is in Partaals or a specific type of Keertan. Although this is an important way of delivering the Guru's message. Raag Keertan does occur when it is the normal Keharvaa Taal as well. This is because the Keys used are those as prescribed by Guru Jee, but the Taal is different to the normal "Raag" type of Keertan people expect, ie the shabad is not sung in TeenTaal, JhapTaal, Roopak, DeepChandi, EkTaal, etc. People who know a bit about the Tabla and a bit about Raag will understand what he's saying. He also said Gurbani is also written in Saloks, Pauri and Vaars, which are not the traditional Raag setting as envisaged by the meaning of Raag. Therefore, average Joe may think that they are not doing the shabad in Raag, when in fact they actually are.

However, the important point they mentioned was attachment to the Shabad, not the Raag. If you want to gain Ras/sweetness of the Raag or Taal, you can go to any concert by Zakir Hussain, Anindo ChatterJee, Ravi Shankar, Ustad Amjad Ali Khan, Ghulam Ali or Ajoy Chakrabarty (I added the name of the artists :doh: ). However, we want the Ras of the Gurbani Shabad. Many people say Raag is important, which it is, but it means nothing if it does not attach us to Gurbani. Bhai Sahib Jee used the following Pankiti from the Asa Di Vaar to explain his point.

koeI gwvY rwgI nwdI bydI bhu Bwiq kir nhI hir hir BIjY rwm rwjy ]

koee gaavai raagee naadhee baedhee bahu bhaath kar nehee har har bheejai raam raajae ||

Some sing of the Lord, through musical Ragas and the sound current of the Naad, through the Vedas, and in so many ways. But the Lord, Har, Har, is not pleased by these, O Lord King.

ijnw AMqir kptu ivkwru hY iqnw roie ikAw kIjY ]

jinaa a(n)thar kapatt vikaar hai thinaa roe kiaa keejai ||

Those who are filled with fraud and corruption within - what good does it do for them to cry out?

hir krqw sBu ikCu jwxdw isir rog hQu dIjY ]

har karathaa sabh kishh jaanadhaa sir rog hathh dheejai ||

The Creator Lord knows everything, although they may try to hide their sins and the causes of their diseases.

ijnw nwnk gurmuiK ihrdw suDu hY hir Bgiq hir lIjY ]4]11]18]

jinaa naanak guramukh hiradhaa sudhh hai har bhagath har leejai ||4||11||18||

O Nanak, those Gurmukhs whose hearts are pure, obtain the Lord, Har, Har, by devotional worship. ||4||11||18||

To be honest, I agree with Bhai Sahib. Sometimes you go to the Gurudwara, and there is a Raag Keertani there ... and all they do is show off how much they know Raag they know ... and singing Gurbani is just a secondary issue. There are very few Ragi (in the purest sense of Raag Keertanis) that I have seen who maintain the Ras of the Shabad as well as singing in Raag. Some these few include Bhai Avtar Singh, Bhai Balbir Singh, Bhai Dharam Singh Zakhme, Bhai Sarabjit Singh Rangila, etc)

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Waheguroo

Can u call all these non-raag Jathas/keertanyas, "Raagis"? Technically not, cos they dont do keertan in raag. Additionally, I thought when Guru Jee wrote shabads to specific raags, it was due to a reason- probably cos Guru Jee felt that was the raag that represented the feeling of the shabad and would help attachment to Waheguru. But now we think we know better than Guru Jee, and make our own tunes and say the Raag Guru Jee wrote too, doesnt 'hit our hearts' directly. The reason it dont hit us, cos we're shielded from the influence of the raag, because of our manmat. If Raag is not important, then why did Guru Ji write most of there banee to raag, for example Raag Asa Mahala Pahila- is it right to ignore the first two words of the shabad? i think not!