who is your favorite ragi jatha.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go again!

Sahib Singh is correct, it is Pankhand Kirtan, he is not referring to the Bani, which is Nirankar, he is referring to its degredation at the hands of so many so-called 'Ragis' and 'Keertanias'.

If "love" is all that matters, that why is it people have problems with Sehajdharis, Monas, Trim-Singhs, non-Amritdhari Keshdharis, non-bibeki, non-dhumala wearing, beard-tying Amritdharis...WHY??? OH, because this is rehit, this is maryada, this is GURMAT.

Well in the same way, so is the proper rendition of Gurbani in Kirtan and frankly Sahib Singh is spot on, these are selections of 'pankhand' kirtan at its best.

People go to untold lengths to prove supposed 'mandatory' aspects of rehit such as sarabloh bibek, wearing white hazoorias, only tying a certain type of dastaar -all of which have little or NO written evidence to support, particularly the first two which are 'oral' traditions.

Here we have Gurbani which clearly stipulates RAAG, GHAR (time cycle) etc etc, yet we are keen to use our MANMAT and claim we follow TAT GURMAT MARYADA whilst singing pankhandi kirtan.

Sorry, maybe I'm a little slow, but I can't understand why people feel this way.

Gur Fateh!

Niranjana.

Waheguru Jee Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Jee Ki Fateh

Sahib Singh Jee - How can you say that Sant/Bhai Anoop Singh / Bhai Harjinder Singh perform Pakhandi Keertan.

How can keertan be Pakhand... these jatha sing bani with so much pyaar and how can bani be pakhandi.

vaahu vaahu baanee nira(n)kaar hai this jaevadd avar n koe ||

Waaho! Waaho! is the Bani, the Word, of the Formless Lord. There is no other as great as He is.

We should respect every individual who sings keertan/bani - it is only with Guru's grace that the gift of keertan is granted to individuals. Those individuals have vade bhaag - high destiny.

Veer Jee, in my opinion the true Ragi Jatha is that which sings keertan with pyaar from his soul and for the love of Waheguru Jee and Sant/Bhai Anoop Singh and Bhai Harjinder Singh surely do. I have been lucky enough to see both these jathe do keertan live and it is an amazing experience because the bani is sung with so much pyaar and everyone in the sangat feels boosted.

t(h)aakur gaaeeai aatham ra(n)g ||

Sing the Praises of the Lord and Master, with the love of your soul

Love is the way to reach Waheguru.....

saach keho(n) sun laehu sabhai jin praem keeou thin hee prabh paaeiou ||

Who are we to judge who is the true ragi jatha, (surely that cannot be done purely on the basis of them studying raag - the pyaar for singing gurbani is a very important factor in my opinion).

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Fateh

99802[/snapback]

What is more important is the gurbani they sing and we listen and adhere to. The persons karam as to the reasons he is singing are not material. His filmy tunes are also irrelevant.

During the time of their kirtan one is sitting in the presence of Maharaj SGGS JI and listening to Guru Ji's shabads, if Maharaj is not objecting who are we?

If one finds sona in a chiker ( gold in mud), we would take it and wash the mud and would be left with the gold. Like wise the gurbani ( the lords gems) is what matters. Similar situations arise when we take amrit from the panj piara, we don't know about their true jeevan, but at that moment the daat ( lords amrit) given to us is all that matters.

We may call them names but think the shabads they sang may have reached some people whose lives turned for the better and brought them near sikhi. I always believe there are many in this kaljug who may have different intentions but unknown to them THE SUPREME WAHEGURU has other ideas and there is always a good by- product of their bad intentions

Finally saad sangat ji who are we to criticise and judge others.

so basically according to few of u guys, who ever don't do keertan in "raags" are pakhandis. How can u ever say that? Think over this situation: Someone has done keertan in pakke raags for many years but not inspired a single person to take amrit.. would u still consider them over someone who have done keertan/katha but not in raags and still have encouraged many people to take amrit? All I want to say is it shouldn't matter in what way someone do keertan or katha but what matters is have they connected ppl. to gusikhi, has their lives changed..from manmat to gurmat. I really have nothing against anyone but it's just that I personally don't understand keertan in pakke raags at all so i always prefer someone to explain in simple language.

bhul chuk maaf

WJKK WJKF

I agree with Parminder45. Living example is Baba Ranjit Singh in India, thousands have connected with sikhi through his style of kirtan.

He is truly amazing! and when I see the amount of sangat at his divans and number of people taking amrit , the only explanation is Wahegurus kirpa.

Gurmat Sangeet

Gurmat Sangeet

Gurmat Sangeet

GURMAT SANGIT or sacred music of the Sikhs. The founder of the Sikh religion, Guru Nanak (1469-1539), composed his religious verse to settings of Indian ragas mostly from the classical tradition. Successive Gurus followed his example and considered divine worship through music the best means of attaining that state which results in commun-ion with God. Religious music is that musical expression which is appropriate to and presented as a definite part of a formal service of worship .............

Asa Di Vaar text in Gurmukhi with English translation and transliteration

Gurbani Raags

Here is a detailed statement of the functions and atmosphere ascribed traditionally to various ragas along with banis composed to each, within the corpus of Guru Granth Sahib.

Gurmat Sangeet is a unique musical tradition of the five centuries-old Sikh religion established and preached by all the Sikh Gurus, from Guru Nanak Sahib, the Founder of Sikhism onwards. With Gurmat Sangeet, the divine message is communicated through Shabad Kirtan. Shabad Kirtan has been made an inseparable part of the Sikh way of life. Kirtan Chauki tradition has been in vogue in the gurdwaras for centuries and the Kirtan tradition in practice on special occasions is an extended form of this tradition. This practical Kirtan tradition is in accordance with the Shabad Guru of Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

The Bani of the Granth Sahib, written and indexed according to the prescribed Raagas, singing forms, music signs/ headings and the other guidelines issued in the Bani, creates original and specific musicology. A scientific approach to music can help in recognising more explicitly the music tradition according to the Guru Granth Sahib.

Such system of music, enshrined in the Holy Guru Granth Sahib is exactly in accordance with the musical tenets established by the Gurus. What came to be known as Gur Shabad Kirtan is a unique confluence of Shabad and Kirtan propounded by the founder of Sikhism, Guru Nanak with the help of divine music emanating from Bhai Mardana's Rabab. This emerged as a unique system in the Indian and world music traditions

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Here goes.....

Bhai Niranjan Singh (Jwaddi Kalan Wale)

Bhai Harjinder Singh (Sri Nagar Wale)

Bhai Maninder Singh (Sri Nagar Wale)

Bhai Manpreet Singh (Kanpur Wale)

Bhai Jasbir Singh (Paonta Sahib Wale)

Bhai Onkar Singh (Una Sahib Wale)

Bhai Balbir Singh

Bhai Amrik Singh Zakhme

Bhai Dharam Singh Zakhme

Bhai Nirmal Singh Khalsa

Bhai Chattar Singh

Bhai Randhir Singh (Hazoori Jatha)

Bhai Bakshish Singh (Hazoori Jatha)

Bhai Ravinder Singh (Hazoori Jatha)

Bhai Taar Balbir Singh (Hazoori Jatha)

Bhai Narinder Singh (Benares Wale-Hazoori Jatha)

Bhai Gurdev Singh (Hazoori Jatha)

Bhai Satwinder Singh/Harvinder Singh (Delhi Wale)

Bhai Avtar-Dulbagh Singh

Bhai Dulbagh-Gulbagh Singh

Bhai Harbans Singh (Jagadhree Wale)

Bhai Amarjeet Singh (Nanaksar Wale)

Bhai Davinder Partaap Singh

Bhai Gurmeet Singh Shaant

Bhai Gurdip Singh Shaan

Bhai Mahinderjeet Singh

Bhai Sarabjit Singh Rangeela (Durg Wale)

Bibi Harjeet Kaur

Baba Ranjit Singh (Dhadrian Wale)

What can I say...they all sing Gurbaani so awsomely, I felt bad leaving anyone out...i've probably still missed loads!! blush.gif

Anyhow it can be concluded by Guroo Jee beautifully:

saa rasanaa dhhan dhha(n)n hai maeree ji(n)dhurreeeae gun gaavai har prabh kaerae raam ||

Blessed, blessed is that tongue, O my soul, which sings the Glorious Praises of the Lord God.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!