Guru Nanak Dev Ji

vgjkk vgjkfateh sangat jio

Well about guru nanak dev ji ...people say he wasnt a sikh!....but im like his family were hindu but he did not live a hindu life..which menas he wasn't a hindu...he then found sikhi and became a sikh!!

is that right sangat ji??

can anybody help me on this q please...as i dont really know what to say to people when they ask me apart from the above!!

BULL CHUK MAAF KARNI!!

vgjkk vgjkfateh

wacko.gif sounds like u know the answer already...as u said, he family were hindu but he practised sikhi and inspired others with his sikhi...

i would say that when people say to u guru nanak dev ji wasn't sikh, remain happy and humble (bcos u know guru nanak dev ji is sikh) and take the opportunity to ask them questions too to explore people's beliefs about guru nanak dev ji...this way u and others will learn...and sikhi is about learning!

eg ask them what supposedly makes guru nanak dev ji a hindu? as u said, a persons family's religion does not necessarily decide an individual's religion...therefore guru nanak dev ji's family were hindu and he wa sikh...having said that i think guru ji's sister nanaki was veyr supportive of guru nanak dev ji's sikhi

how can guru nanak dev ji be hindu when he rejected caste system, ritualism? do a internet search on 'guru nanak dev ji and hinduism'...im think there's loads on this topic bcos guru nanak dev ji reached out to many....muslims also recognise guru nanak dev ji as an important figure in islamic history

hope that helps a little.. wacko.gif

bhul chuk maph

Well about guru nanak dev ji ...people say he wasnt a sikh!....but im like his family were hindu but he did not live a hindu life..which menas he wasn't a hindu...he then found sikhi and became a sikh!!

can anybody help me on this q please...as i dont really know what to say to people when they ask me apart from the above!!

BULL CHUK MAAF KARNI!!

vgjkk vgjkfateh

103003[/snapback]

Guru nanak sahib was the embodiment of nirankar, in sargun saroop.

a sargun avtar has 14, 16 kalas, but never sees the full picture....

Guru Nanak Sahib demonstrated more than that and in all 10 jots in human form, guru sahib was able to understand and pretty much determine who was and who wasn't one with god

guru nanak is deemed sant, pir, lama, ustaad, baba, nirankar......

guru sahib was the embodiment of gurbani, and that gurbani was nirankar. This goes deeper into naad and dhuni, but the emmanation of akaal in kudrat is gurbani, that gurbani came from nowhere except the heart of guru nanak and it was sung by him so that we could be ignited.

ie. the average person is touched by love songs written by artists like mariah cary, because they can relate....only the lovers of god could truly grasp what guruji was writing....

you can't fake the funk!

akaal

BULL CHUK MAAF KARNI!!

vgjkk vgjkfateh

103003[/snapback]

A famous qoute if you go to talks in coventry... will be as follows

Guru Nanak Dev Ji was a muslim (jst change to hindu..) but he was also a hindu. a christian, buddist, but most of all a Sikh. You may ask how he is all of these? The answer is he was One With God.

This response is usually given to, "Guru Nanak Dev Ji is a muslim because he went to Mecca and only Muslims can pray there". In response is the above, adding,

"Guru Nanak Dev Ji was so great that everyone wants a piece of him but to Sikhs he is the founder of Sikhi". Thats why we jap Mool Mantar, the first pourie in Gurbani!!!

Everyone loves to use he was born Hindu, realistically not, You cant jst be born something. You have to learn about it to be it. We are not jst BORN with all the knowledge of what we have learned over the period we have lived so how can we be sikhs, hindus, muslims etc now?

Guru Nanak Dev Ji Questioned his supposed faith and did the opposite many a time. He spoke against Supersticious practices and pointless rituals which did not mean anything. No other religion other then Sikhi believes this as far as i know??

The prime answer is he wud be closer to islam rather then hinduism as he preached there is only one God. Islam states this too so really, he cant have been a hindu at all!!!!

Please forgive me for mistakes made.

WJKK WJKF

Pleae correct me if i am wrong..

Gurfateh!!

Im my view Guru Nanak Dev Ji Maharaaj, was of no religion. They were a Man of God. They practiced a certain lifestyle, which they believed to be true. They noticed all the bad practices and corruptness in all religions around them, and learnt from them and made it known to people that this was not the way to go.

Now my concept of being a Sikh isnt just limited to us, but all beings are Sikhs. Akal Purukh has created us all to focus our lives on Him and live honest lives. You are not born with gian, you learn things everyday. Thus making us all huans Sikhs.

Guru Nanak Dev Ji Maharaaj was born with so much knowledge that they helped others on the path of learning. They told Muslims to be beter Muslims, Hindus to be better Hindus. and then that brings us to those who followed Guru Nanak Dev Ji Maharaaj's lifestyle.

So we have established Guru Ji was not of any religion but one who was devoted to God, and helped other become the same. Thus they were 'Guru' teacher. Their students then became Gursikhs.

Well this is my own belief hope you understood. :doh:

Gurfateh!!

GURU NANAK DEV JI was NIRANKAR HIMSELF.

I cannot recall the exact tuk but there is reference that Avtar came to this jag as Guru Nanak Dev Ji.

Guru JI did not have to learn anything they already knew that mankind was not following Gods previous guidance and autonomously guided all on the right and true path.

BULL CHUK MAAF KARNI!!

vgjkk vgjkfateh

103003[/snapback]

Fateh,

Althought this question is fairly simple it is one which many people easily get confused about. Some argue he was born to Hindu parents thus he was born and raised a Hindu but later when he had realization of waheguru he rejected it and became a Sikh. Others argue that he belonged to no religion and simply preached equality and that Sikhism as a religion was started much after Guru Nanak even tho he did not intend to start any different religion. However, both these arguments are wrong.

Firstly, no one is born belonging to any particular religion. We are ALL born the SAME, ie. simply as humans. After birth, we acquire knowledge and incorporate value systems, morals, ethics all bases on certain fundamental beliefs. Thse beliefs are ones we choose to follow voluntarily on our own. In some cases, these beliefs are merely those which prevade commonly around us and we accept them as just and right and follow them by imitation, .ie. my parents, siblings, family believed and went to the gurdwara (or temple, or mosque) so it must be right and i should do it too. Or maybe my parents told me that i have to do this or believe this so i do, (tho deep inside i may not truly believe in it). Or in even fewer cases, they are beliefs we have explored first and tried to understand and then accepted as what we wish to follow because they agree with our own personal views.

Regardless, in each case the belief, or faith, is something we claim AFTER our birth. Just as no child is born a doctor, engineer, lawyer simply cuz his parents belong to that profession. That child must actively seek out knowledge, attain gyan, understanding, pass tests and only then can he too claim to belong to that respective field. SImilarly any religion we claim to belong to we can only truly declare after a certain period of committment to the ideals and practices fo that faith.

WIth regards to Guru Nanak, the case was no different. Yes his parents were Hindu, but even in Hinduism, one must go thru certain initiation ceremonies at a suitable age to formaly announce his acceptance of the faith. In this case it was the janayoo, or sacred thread, ceremony and it is common knowledge that Guru Nanak openly rejected this ceremony in stark protest that he did not agree or wish to follow the hindu faith. He did not bear any animosity against the faith, in fact he respected it like any other faith. He simply did not agree with the belief systems and values of that faith and that is why he chose to set out a new and unique path for mankind to follow (as pre-ordained to him by Waheguru).

mY bDI scu Drm swl hY ]

I have established the Temple of Truth.

gurisKw lhdw Bwil kY ]

I sought out the Guru's Sikhs, and brought them into it.

pYr Dovw pKw Pyrdw iqsu iniv iniv lgw pwie jIau ]10]

I wash their feet, and wave the fan over them. Bowing low, I fall at their feet.

Just the same, not everyone is a Sikh. It too require firm commitmment and adherence to ceratin beliefs. That is why the Guru had to "seek out", or 'lub' the gursikhs. If they were all around and everyone was a SIkh there would be no need to search for them. But they did. After establishing the dharamsal of Sikhi, they began to incorporate followers into this new faith. And as any new faith, they asked the followers of it to practice certain ideals. They clearly outlined this concept for anyone wanting to follow this new faith by stating:

gur siqgur kw jo isKu AKwey su Blky auiT hir nwmu iDAwvY ]

One who calls himself a Sikh of the Guru, the True Guru, shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on the Lord's Name.

jo swis igrwis iDAwey myrw hir hir so gurisKu gurU min BwvY ]

One who meditates on my Lord, Har, Har, with every breath and every morsel of food - that GurSikh becomes pleasing to the Guru's Mind.

And not anyone can simply claim to be a Sikh. Just like the Gurus themselves lived the lifestyle they preached so to a Sikh must fully practice that same lifestyle in order to have the right to call him/herself a Sikh. And even then, if one is not blessed byt the Grace of Waheguru, he/she will not become a Sikh. This is further support that this was a NEW PATH set out by the Gurus and that nto everyone cud claim allegiance to it just bases on family, spouse or birthplace. It required both active commitment as well as the grace of God for one to have this rare privilige.

ijs no dieAwlu hovY myrw suAwmI iqsu gurisK gurU aupdysu suxwvY ]

That person, unto whom my Lord and Master is kind and compassionate - upon that GurSikh, the Guru's Teachings are bestowed.

jnu nwnku DUiV mMgY iqsu gurisK kI jo Awip jpY Avrh nwmu jpwvY ]2]

Servant Nanak begs for the dust of the feet of that GurSikh, who himself chants the Naam, and inspires others to chant it.

And then, if that individual incorporates the full ideals and principles of Sikhi, as layed out in Gurbani, then that individual becomes a FULL GURSIKH, i.e. the emodiment of the Shabad Guru, and that is exactly what the Guru's were, embodiment of the shabd guru, and threfore that Sikh becomes one with the guru.

gurU isKu isKu gurU hY eyko gur aupdysu clwey ]

The Guru's Sikh, and the Sikh's Guru, are one and the same; both spread the Guru's Teachings.

This last line from SGGS, clearly demonstrates that these 'Sikhs' were followers of the Guru. And for a person to say they are a Sikh because they are follwing someone, then that person too must belong to the same faith. Ohterwise a dichotomy would exist where the Teacher belongs to one belief/faith and the followers another. This line also highlight another imporant point which gives further support that the SIkh faith was a new dharam, a dharm founded and followed by the Gurus, 'eko gur updais chulai'...meaning they spread the Guru's wisdom and teachings.

Thus i hope noone has any doubt as to the fact that Guru Nanak Dev Ji was a Sikh and propogated the Sikh faith courageouly and tirelessly throughout the world. Otherwise why devote your entire life traveling across the continents spreading a message which had already been told?? And for those that say, "na koyi hindu na musalman" implying that there are no religions..well i agree that in God's eyes there are ultimately no differences in man, we are all equal and the same in his eye. But a beautiful example comes to my mind when try;ing to reason this seemingly divergent thought that we are different but the same...when we walk into a garden, we are confronted with scores of different types of flowers. Each a different colour, different height, different smell. Each of them is unique in their own way and different yet each of them is also a flower belonging to the same family amidst the vast flowerbed. SImilarly, we as humans tho each belonging to and practicing different faiths are all part of the same one big human family. As such we should respect and celeberate our differences while appreciating and never forgetting our common source, Waheguru.

Fateh