BHANGRA MELA

Guru Nank school in hayes is having a summer mela

www.schoolmela.com

what are these people trying to teach our children, that bhagra parties are a good thing, all in the name of Guru Nanak ????

107102[/snapback]

Have you seen the adverts for this event. They emphasise at the end NO ALCOHOL. The organisers need a clip round the ear, unless of cause the singers are being going to be singing dharmi songs. Hans Raj, Shinda etc are due to perform. I doubt Mona Singh etc are going to be doing dharmi numbers.

This only gets better. They have Dhol Blasters booked. If the Dhol Blasters web site is correct then they are linked with Gurcharan Mall who was happily performing at a naraqthari function not too long back. "www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?showtopic=10001&hl=" (remove " ").

Is this school only teaches children about Sikh dharam? Or is this school like the ordinary school of UK Education system.

If its only reserved for sikh dharam then the function is wrong. But if it's just like any other ordinary school then i see no problem of school holding cultural events.

• 11 months later...

i don't really have a problem with the mela, it isnt really promoting anything bad, just music and a nice day out for students and their families. I went to Guru Nanak school for 6th form, and i attended many relgious events there and it was nice to have a cultural event to go to, it made a nice change.

I think it's important to give the students variety in what they see. A bit of light hearted fun does not take anything away from the school.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!!

This is just blatant stupidity. Whats the School got to do with such melas? The reason why the poster might have to state that no alocohol allowed is because what these singers promote is a Punjabi Culture that has be totally overtaken by Drinking and Lads! They arent promoting anything else. The Sikh School know this but out of complete stupidity the wish to organise this event.

Why can they organise a Sports Day, a childrens kirtan, a boot sale for God sake!!! There are many other ways to raise money. Baba Amar Singh should think twice, did Baba Nand Singh organise bhangra melas to build Nanaksar Jagron?? Did Baba Attar Singh prefer to do a Bhangra Mela to build Baru Sahib Academy??

The Hayes School has no faith in Guruji. They dont believe that Guruji will provide the money they need so the will go out and get it any way possible, even if that means bypassing promotion of Sikhi for a bunch of famous Bhangra Singers!!

Practice what you preach, only then will a Sikh School benefit the Community. The SOLE aim of the School is Sikhi promotion!!! Or is it??

I don't understand, whas wrong with partaking in clean culture?

It confuses the youth We have Sikh religion on one side and the punjabi culture on the other.

Would you see bhangra/quali mela at a muslim madrasa? No, there are plenty of other things that would entertain the children! Kirtan/sports/gatka etc etc

A general question.

Do younger sikhs who are not amarti associate bhangra music as an identity as being a sikh?

Although they may not go to gurdwara as often as they should but they feel by participating with the bhangra culture, be it gigs etc, they are still part of the sikh hertitage.

When I was at University some 10 years ago in Manchester gigs were a way that sikhs got together (not amartis), The Punjabi society then was to get students to go to Gurdwara as much as possible, which we students then did do. Also the other adgenda was to get students to associate as much as possible. The way forward here was to arrange as many bhangra gigs as possible.

It seems as 10 years on, today sikhs are more into the religion than to participate in gigs etc with alcohol.