Sikhs are sikhs

Ambrosia

Thank you for your responses. Its good to know there are some open-minded sikhs in this forum. :) No need for labeling people goray or kalay, or blah. lets get away from that and just know Gurmukh and Manmukh...

You know - imagine someone who just found out about sikhism, they are interested in learning more, and interested in talking with a sikh youth community for help, information, support, etc. Then they come here, and they see posts like "Goray names suck", "A white or a black cant marry a sikh, and if they want to become sikh... i dont beleive them...", etc etc........ i dont think they will be encouraged to look much further for help here...

So,  good to hear those who DO welcome others as their brothers and sisters. Like Jaap Sahib Ji says... God is beyond gender, race, religion, creed, costume, origin.......

take care*

109589[/snapback]

WJKK WJKF

I agree that Sikhs should not be labelled as “white Sikhs”.

But sometimes calling a Sikh by the colour is not being said out of malice, but sometimes for clarification.

For example,

There are currently five subspecies of tigers.

Siberian or Amur tiger Panthera tigris altaica - The largest of the tiger subspecies, males can be as long as a station wagon! These tigers also have the palest orange coat and the fewest stripes.

Bengal or Indian tiger Panthera tigris tigris - This is the most common subspecies of tiger.

Indochinese tiger Panthera tigris corbetti - These tigers are about 20 percent smaller and are darker than Bengal tigers.

South China tiger Panthera tigris amoyensis - These tigers are slightly smaller than the Indochinese subspecies.

Sumatran tiger Panthera tigris sumatrae - Even though the Sumatran is the smallest tiger subspecies, it’s still a pretty big cat.

My point is how we would know which tiger we are talking about if we say “that tiger” or “this tiger".

If a tiger had killed a person, it would have to be shot. . The hunter is not identifying the animal as a “gora” or "kala" because he wants to be spiteful, it is for clarification reasons.

I understand the points above that Sikhs should not be named as “white Sikhs” or "black Sikhs",but those comments are made by people who are spiteful and do not understand the offence they are causing.

But, people like myself, I say "that black Sikh" or "this white Sikh" out of clarification – not out of malice.

- Hope I didn’t offend anyone; please show me the mistakes I have made…

A tiger is a tiger, though he may look different.

A human is a human, though he or she may look different.

If a tiger killed a person, or a person killed a tiger...

God ensures that they will receive what they've sown.

If someone did something, and you want to describe the person... why refer to their colour. This tints the minds of others to think that the colour is an attribute through which the good or bad is happenning.

(think of all the people who have hurt sikhs thinking they are terrorists or muslims... because of their appearance)

if you want to refer to someone by their actions........ do just that. refer to their actions. Not to the colour, race, creed, or origin, or costume. Know the heart of the person... to be Manmukh or Gurmukh...

know with the heart, not with the eyes.

If one says... there is a black man who killed someone... beware. Then everyone in the town will fear all black men... though they are innocent.

***just thoughts***

I think its more of human nature? to jude a group of people based ont he actions of one person. And really its not right.

Here in America, becuase of one person/group [bin laden / alquada] many people are racist or fear muslim people or people with turbans.

African Americans have a very bad reputation in america and whats worse is Rap music and hip hop, these people live up to the bad rep... and do not try to change it. though some do and are very sucessful

And whats really sad is the only reason people fear or hate the groups...is really ignorance and once its gone, they realize u cant blame a group for a members actions.

i always think of using labels such as "White/Black Sikhs" Converts and so on as kinda offensive. Sikhs are sikhs no matter what color, caste they belong to. I understand the reason that why many of my brothers and sisters who are new to sikhism feels that they are not wanted or feel isolate from rest of common sikh community. The reason is because Sikh peoples are not used to have ppls from different background and cultures. Twenty/thirty years ago, it probably was the "Breaking News" for the whole town of Amritsar if they saw the "Sikh Gora" visiting the place. Now it's normal and everybody respect and feel happy to see their brothers/sisters from different background. In next few years we will have more good outcome and more easy for learners to learn about sikhi.

One thing is that "Pls don't stay away." Stick with it and sooner or later you will find the good company ! 3HO singhs and singhneea stayed away from common sikh gurdwara/community but it's good because they can get really discouraged by desi sikhs as they are into politics and so much other crap. Point is stick together regardless of color, culture, caste and so on.. Visit each other gurdwaras and have programs together.. that's all i can say :)

Sat Sri Akal,

Since my time here, i have noticed a lot of posts and topics regarding differences between white, black, etc... and sikhs...

I want to remind you that there are many white sikhs out there... to distinguish sikh from "goreh" or "kalay" is not really appropriate... as sometimes they are also sikhs. Also, generalizations, stereotypes, prejustices are unfair on either side. Especially for those who are pure among the dirty. Anyway...

I found an interesting discussion you might want to visit...

Intolerance between for Western and Punjabi Sikhs

Lets please be the example, and embrace our brothers and sisters from around the globe. Make them feel welcome... and let the amazing Message of Sikhism, be known. It is not something that should be caged up and kept from other races - just because...

Ambrosia

108970[/snapback]

Too right. sikhism is expressly against racism, and a Sikh is a Sikh!

Unfortunately, Sikhism is not immune to the maladies that aflict society in general.

I had a debate with idiots from another site (Jattworld) who claimed that it was Ok to state the race of a person when it came to Sikhim, because Sikhism was against caste and not against race. This was until I pointed out to them, that the word Jaat or Zaat used in Bani means caste, race, even gender, and it sayd in banee, time and time again that preaching Jaat-Paat is wrong.

Guru Gobind Singh Ji said:

Manaas Ki Jaat ekh Paachano

Recognise the human race as one.

Here Jaat clearly means race, therefore whever reading Bani texts where it talks about Jaat in terms of caste, it also mean race too. Read my signature.

Thanks

The more communication and dialouge we have with Sikhs from around the world from different ethnicities, nationalites, etc the better.

At the moment converts to Sikhism from non-indian origin is a new thing for Sikhs from Indian background to deal with.....but with time and communication we will grow closer and not treat each other like strangers or be shy to talk to each other.

We are one we all bow down to the authority of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji. We all owe our spiritual loyality to our eternal Guru and our wonderful lord (waheguru).

Chardi Kala... the future is bright

Wjkk Wjkf

We shouldn't label the sikhs as white sikhs etc because we're dividing the sikhs up instead of uniting. we're all from the same father right?!

First on attended one of Yogi ji's camps in America and from this found out about Miri Piri Academy. I mean I dont see the difference as went to school at Miri Piri Academy for a year in Amritsar, India and it was just amazing and sooo inspirational i mean going to Harmandir Sahib every morning at 3am! and doing the sewa of washing the parkarma...i mean wow! :TH:

And by seeing my brothers and sisters from around the World and the piyaar and sharda these people had was amazing and even inspired me to tie a dastaar because my penji's looked like angels. :)

And kind of embarrasing, as i was young i said to my mom i wanted to marry someone from there blush.gif and mom phoned Yogi Ji's wife, Inderjit Kaur and told her! ohmy.gif

Neway....

And on seeing the sikhs many of my relatives in India were sort of thrown like kind of this is amazing.

It is a good thing. How can it be seen as bad? increasing the khalsa family, and aslong as people aren't portraying the wrong image of sikhi which as far as i've seen are not! so i say keep it up! so we should be proud not treat them like outcasts.

Bhul chuk maaf!

Wjkk Wjkf