Sikhi and slang!

vgjkk vgjkfateh!

I was just woundering as i had a conversation with my cousin about slang! and sikhi

I would like to know what the sangat feel...about talking slang in sikhi do you feel it is ok to ?...or does it affect the mood you are in ?

or do you feel that we should speak formally! propa english!

As i speak a lot of slang and i have gotten told off about it from my family..and then theyre like well in sikhi you shudnt be speaking like that!.... and that you are making sikhs out to be thugs!!! ie in fornt of your mates!....because of the way i speak in slang!

Thanks

vgjkk vgjkfateh

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yall got to realise that this is the universality of sikhi...negative slangs aren't appreciated....use propa slangs with positivity.....as more sikhs come from different parts of the world so will the mixture of language...Raj Karegaa Khalsa....Khalsa Ji yall should stay pure.....but we should neva eva try to abuse the slangs...slangs are all good...but keep it real with bani....me and bad boi Heera runnin this joint.. this is it for now..me tired...

Wahegurooooo ji ka khalsa Wahegurooo ji ki Fateh..

how is it not?... what proof do u have??.... some people are just brought up speaking a certain way... normal english can be uncivilized too... ur gonna tell me 'cause i speak in slang that, i'm uncivilized?..... wow what logic...

gurpreet singh is from the caribbean.... when me and him talk, i's all slang... u gonna tell us we uncivlized???

like i said above... there's nuttin wrong wit slang... i's the context that u use it in....

Sikhi is civilized, Slang isn't.

109743[/snapback]

True but false

Think about it. Ok i work in a formal company therefore speak proper english here but outside of work i talk on the same level as the people around me. why? coz its the only way they understand therefore if i speak to them this way they are getting something.

I prefer it in a way as its a more relaxed way of speaking. If you are constantly talking in "proper english" (a language thats not even in Sikhi) then you will be on a losing streak. How many people actually know correct english.

No offence, but like someone said, Kumi would be severly handicaped by this (when its much easier to say - hes screwed). (no offence to kumi, jst kinda pointing it out that its easier sometimes!!! - especially amongst youth as if you want to appeal to them then u need to communicate on their level!!)

Look at Nihang Singhs for instance, they have their own next level language!!! this is like slang to them. therefore are they uncivilized to? Even tho proper Nihang Singhs and Singnis maintain Sikhi to the fullest reciting Gurbani at every instant!!!

Its just another way to speak. When we speak to elders we speak punjabi coz its easier for them. when we speak to goray we speak english coz they understand it. When talking amongst youth, whats the problem talkin the language they understand?

I tried both last yr at uni, slang actually pulled people in to Sikhi Society and kept them intrested. When we had well spoken people they thought, great, excellent discussion, but what did he mean!?!?

In my humble opinion, theres bigger and better issues to worry about! Its like doing a "Youth World Show" on the radio, appealing to the youth!! but then geting phone calls from old people saying we dont understand, speak punjabi. Well whats the point if the show is aimed for people who prehaps dnt understand punjabi? (they have their own shows like 10hours a day then moan about 1hour!!!)

Hope no one is offended.

WJKK WJKF

Vaheguroo ji ka Khalsa

Vaheguroo ji ki Fateh!!

Gursikhs may talk in any language as long as it doesnt get vulgar or abusive. While talking in slang, we tend to use many abusive/vulgar words unknowingly. I have seen people say words such as pimp, gangsta etc where they actually are praising the subject. I think this is where slang becomes "uncivilized" as S1ngh put it, and this is where we should abstain from its usage.

So in my opinion, you may talk in slang, but take care not to use the "bad" words.

Vaheguroo ji ka Khalsa

Vaheguroo ji ki Fateh!!