Parents

Guest *Wahegurooo*

laugh

113512[/snapback]

bahahaha.. tha's jokes..

but seriously... who are they to say nethin about ur sikhi... and yeh... as khalsa veerji said.. stay strong... but... it depends on the situation as well... meanin like ur age, n what not... personally if my parents ever criticized me about bein into sikhi i'd punk em straight.. bahahahaha..

Guest proud_to_be_singhni

well i went to camp this summer in july and my parents disapproved thinkin il become a 'khalisatani?' and that. i dont understand wats wrong wit that.

when ever such a issue is heard about, my dad is always up for slamming the khalistaniwanters by saying it'll neverhappen and that we did have khalsa raj before etc, hes an amritdhari, been so for long time and has lovely flowing white beard. I love him but don't understand these comments, my belief is evry1s right in their own way if theive linked their conciuose wit god and singing his praises

wheter sitting or sleeping wats worng wit their views, without raj dharm dont survive(bani tells us). when i quote that he just says nothing and mum and dad act as if theyknow it poper all and we dont really know anything really and are following like 'blind' or extreme people.

i just love simran,kirtan, the whole sangat, camps smagams life, in a nuthshell-parents thinkim becoming an EXTREMIST, How can i make them understandor shall i justignore it, ALTHOUGH that always leaves an air of tension in our household discussions.

vaheguru. : :TH:

Guest -the one who started the topic-

wjkk wjkf

hey every1, im the one who started the topic " parents" and what i want ur opinions on, is why do parents critisize their own kids for being into sikhi. Isnt it a good thing, that ur child strives to learn, bout their religion and not about bad things in life. I dont udnerstand what they try to convey, by not letting us go to gurdwaras/sikhi camps....

i got more questions

what do u do when they ask u

"what did u get by being a sikh?"

"what will happen with growing such a huge beard?"

"with all this hair and beard, do u think u can worship God better?"

what do u do when they curse u that ur kids will also convert to some other religion and u'll face the same pain as they are? when they curse those who influenced u into Sikhi?

what do u do when at every other thing u do wrong, they taunt u with "is this what ur Sikhi has taught u?"

what do u do ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Guest another guest

Mehtab Singh Veerji,

if your parents ask you what you gained once you became a sikh, then to answer that one you really do need to think for yourself and decide what you gained.

I have gained too much since I became a sikh but I wont bore you guys with a list.

Sikhi really helps one to feel closer to God and to love all humans because we have bani and we have equality, paath brings one closer to God and equality means we can be humble and not feel superior or inferior when we pray.

The long beard, well apart from the fact that it looks soooooooo beautiful, it shows who we are and what we are, something not to be ashamed of. It makes sikh men stand out. Everyone has their uniform, the policeman, the nurse, the postman, the hindu pandit, the muslim, and the sikh.........oh and like I said it looks sooooo beautiful.

Of course you can pray better with loong hair because cutting it means the body uses up so much energ to grow it back so if you do not cut your hair then you have more energy to sit there and pray etc. Seriously speaking, if Guru Ji appeal to you and so you have decided to become a sikh then of course hair will help because you are following the Guru's hukam and respecting and loving his roop and that respect brings you closer to God. Hair on your head and a beard reminds you and those around of who you are and what is expected of you. Keeps you on tthe right path .

well of your parents curse you, well it is understandable, no offence to the child but the parent is bound to be hurt and the kid should accept that. No need to offend them in return but show respect and explain to them that you can uinderstand why they are angry but for you your path to finding God (becoming closer to God) is more important than everything else in this world. It does not mean that you do not love your parents but parents are only in thise life but you have to do what is best for yourself (your soul) and that is not temporary like everything else in this world. If they curse anyone, well all I can say is let them, what else can one do?

On the last point, if anyone said that to me I think I would just say that sikhi says this and that but being the silly fool i am I do not always practice what I have learnt and that does notmean there is any fault in the path I have chosen. Its not fair to blame your actions on the path you have chosen, just wait for that person to make a mistake and then I think you can say ''Is this what your religion taught you''? It gets the message across politely I think.

My parents can get pretty stressed with me for wanting to go to the gurdwara too often (lol) (ie. once a day) but i jiust ignore any comments, pick up the smallest coin in my purse and walk to the gurdwara at a time that no one will miss me too much at home (when they are busy watching TV). Fighting with parents is not the way in my opinion, maybe sit down calmly and talk to them and break it gently to them that you are a 'sikh' (not just in name) and in time they may even start to accompany you to the Gurdwara but only if you can always talk to them with respect. Talking to them rudely or shouting back does not exactly show them that the gurdwara and sikh camps are good for you and it would give your parents a chance to say ''is that what your sikhi taught you''.

That was one long meaningless post, sory all who read it.

wjkk wjkf

hey every1, im the one who started the topic " parents" and what i want ur opinions on, is why do parents critisize their own kids for being into sikhi. Isnt it a good thing, that ur child strives to learn, bout their religion and not about bad things in life. I dont udnerstand what they try to convey, by not letting us go to gurdwaras/sikhi camps....

114090[/snapback]

i'm facing the same problem wher my rents wont let me take Amrit, they just laugh on my face. I dont no wa 2 do. I always wonder y couldnt my parents be Amrit Dhari aswel. Those parents whp are Amrit dhari I rekon are the luckiest. My Dhadkeh (dadz side) are all Amrit Dhari and I feel so jelous when all my chachehs kids get a chans 2 Amrit Shahk, it makes me feel even more thirsty to Shahk Amrit. Wat the hell am I supose 2 do?