I Am A Muslim

my religion

QUOTE(H4RPAL @ Sep 5 2005, 10:43 AM)

I get on suuuuper well with Muslims. Thats why I live in a  muslim area, and went to a school full with them, and then a uni full of them.  I just can't get enough of them. They're great!!!

(and no I'm not being sarcastic before someone posts condemmning my post)

Really its 100% truth!!

They care about him so much too!! Its great!! They makesure he gets in his house safely too, as they watch from the window behind curtains!!!!

They also have some parties which they invite him to but due to the circumstances of these parties he doent participate so they are kind enough to play the music loud enough for him to hear!!

His muslim friends are amazing

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH lolll ... hmm yeah harpal hard to belive... jkz!! hes a saint:P lol

ermm well u get muslims who try to convert u hahah ... lol ... i get on with a lot of them ! ... onli if they respect sikhi !! :wub:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ALONG TIME BACK I POSTED A TOPIC TITLED 'SIKHISM AND MOHAMMDANS'. IT DEALT IN DETAIL THE CLOSE PROXIMITY OF SOME EMMINENT MOHAMMDANS TO SIKH GURUS AND SIKHIS. IT IS STILL AVAILABLE AS A SEPARATE THREAD. I INVITE COMMENTS OF THE PARTICIPANTS TO THAT TOPIC. FOR THE CONVENIENCE i REPOST THE ENTIRE ARTICLE BELOW.

JAGJIT SINGHMohammedans & Sikhism

JAGJIT SINGH

it is a general impression that Sikhism and Mohammedanism are two religions, which have nothing in common; both have been in collision, since Sikhism came into being and their religious and political leaders have always been at loggerheads. It is a matter of fact and part of history that two of the Sikh Gurus viz; Guru Arjan Dev and Guru Tegh Bbahadur met their martyrdom in the hands of Mugal emperors. Four sons of Guru Gobind Singh Ji met the similar fate in the hands of the cruel mohammedan Mugal Emperor Aurengzeb. Several of the other Sikhs were also crucified and met their tragic end when they were mercilessly tortured

and killed by the mugal rulers.

But this is just a one side of the picture. In the period of gloom, which was there in such a tyrannical rule of the then rulers, every thing was not as dark as it appears to be. There were persons, although few in numbers, who may be considered mohammedans in their true sense or were rather true to their salt who realized and felt the atrocities and stood by the gurus in particular and sikh community in general.

Before touching the subject in detail, it shall be worthwhile to mention that sikhism as a religion is based on the principles of fearlessness, mutual love, coexistence, service of humanity, oneness of all human beings irrespective of their caste, color, creed etc. And worshipping one and only one omnipresent almighty god. There is no room for hatred in this religion.

The message of fearlessness was brought home when guru nanak on seeing the barbaric and torturous acts of babbar, the first mogul king and invader, whose people plundered and tortured t he natives in a barbaric manner, raised his voice of anguish and revolt and declared babbar as jabbar and paap ki janj lai kablon dhaiya, jori mange daan ve lallo, meaning thereby babbar is a cruel king who has brought an army (marriage party) of sinners from kabul and is forcibly asking for alms and donations. He complained to god, the almighty, about the poor, weak, downtrodden, helpless people being beaten and tortured by the invaders and who were crying in pain and agony and asked him, as to how he has not felt the pain.

Mass kitchen, langar {free food for all} was introduced by shri guru nanak dev, the founder of the religion himself and every body was ordained to sit in a line on the floor, may be on a mat, and have their food in one go on the basis of equality. It is a matter of history that akbar, the great mughal king when came to the court of guru amar dass, the third guru, was ordered to have, first, food in the common kitchen along with the common folklore comprising of all people including the downtrodden before he may be allowed a glimpse {darshan, meeting} of the guru. King emperor akbar followed the dictates and was allowed to see the guru. Only on seeing and verifying in different ways the principles of sikhism, akbar gave away vast chunks of land {jagirs} and attached the same to various gurudwaras, that in turn became a source of earnings with which the running expenses of gurudwaras were and are still being met and various projects of social and charitable interest are being taken in hand and executed.

Guru nanak established the religion on the basis of one supreme god, the creator and the immortal, and on the principles of oneness of human beings and good deeds. Accompanied by bhai mardana, a low caste mohammedan as his life long companion visited mecca, medina, in saudi arabia and had a dialogue with kazi, mullahs etc. They asked guru nanak as to whether whom did he consider as superior – hindus or musalmaans, “puchhan khol kitab nun, hindu wada ke musalmanoi, baba (guru) nanak replied that without good deeds both will cry on the dooms day “baba akhe hajian, shubh amlan bajhon, donven roi.” He stressed that observance of various rituals both by the hindus and muslims shall be of no use, it is only the deeds, or service to humanity at large, which counts.

While discussing mohammedans in sikh history, whereas the name of bhai mardana comes on the forefront as such a devout sikh of the guru who spent his life with guru nanak, one cannot omit the name of rai bulaar, who was perhaps the first human being on earth after babe nanki (the elder sister of guru nanak, who could visualize the heavenly powers and qualities in guru nanak and asked his father to not to treat his son as an ordinary person, but an incarnation of god who has come to him as a son. Rai bular, the ruler or nawab of talwandi rai bhoi ki (rai bhoi was his father), created a water pool in nankana sahib, the birth place of guru nanak, talwandi rai bhoi ki, which was later renamed after him, this pool or sarovar was the first sarovar built in the name of guru nanak and was meant for the service of his followers (sikhs) who were coming to pay their obeisance to the guru. Shaikh sajjan, or sajjan thug, as is generally referred to in history, a most notorious bandit and murderer, also needs special mention here. Although he was one of the innumerable persons, who were brought on the right path by guru nanak, but it is recorded in history that he was so impressed by the guru’s teachings and his darshan that first sikh temple (dharam shala) was built by him at the place where the first conversation between the both took place. `0

guru arjan, the fifth guru, when he was planning to lay down the foundation of hari mandir, which later came to be known as golden temple, called upon a sufi saint pir sain mian mir, to lay down the foundation stone. It was a rare honor given to a saint of another religion. But as it is said that for the men of god, outer form of religion just remains a visual sign but fr om the depth of their heart they are one, and love the soul of god as existing in his creation. This sain mian mir was the person who cried at the merciless martyrdom of guru arjan dev and said that with his super powers he will bring the delhi and lahore authorities at loggerheads and both will vanish in the process. But guru arjan asked him to remain calm and accept what was happening as every thing happens as per the dictates of god and men of god don’t stand in the way of his commands and obey him silently and peacefully.

Mata kaulan was the daughter of a muslim priest rustam khan and was very beautiful and young unmarried girl. She came in touch with sain mian mir and was often listening from him about the qualities and virtues of guru hargobind, the sixth guru. She became a saintly lady and refused to marry when her father asked her to do. When she praised guru hargobind, for his sermons and saintly habits and and started reciting gurbani, in the presence of her father, he became furious. As according to prophet mohammed’s dictates, (as often hold his followers) all those who have no faith in him, are non-believers {kafirs, infidels}, and their praise by a mohammedan invites wrath of god. He in consultation with some other fundamentalists pronounced death sentence for his daughter. Her mother pursuant to her talk with sain mian mir sent her accompanied by one of the trusted disciples of mian mir, named abdulla khan to guru hargobind with the entire story. She stayed at amritsar, till she breathed her last, in the worship of god, under the guardianship of the guru. At the place where she stayed and breathed her last today stands a big gurdwara and a vast sarovar {a bathing tank), and every sikh has been ordained by guru hargobind to have a bath in the tank and pay obeisance to the gurdwara, when one comes to amritsar and visits hari mandir for darshan ishnan. One’s pilgrimage will not be complete unless one does as directed.

Wazir khan, is another name, during the period of jahang ir and shahjahan, which needs a special mention here. This wazir khan is a different person from that of a person of a similar name who was governor of sarhind and was responsible for the murder of sahibzada zorawar singh and sahibzada fateh singh. This first wazir khan whose original name was hakim alimdin, was son of sheikh abdul latif and was governor of lahore. He was an admirer of guru arjan and guru hargobind. When chandu, made complaints to emperor jahangir, about the growing powers of guru hargobind and told him that the guru has created a throne for himself, is amazing wealth, keeps big armies and is preparing himself to take revenge from the emperor of the execution of guru arjan dev, his father. Wazir khan cooled him down and told him about the virtues and qualities of guru hargobind. He and kind beg another official was sent by jahangir to invite guru hargobind to delhi to meet him. Guru ji came to delhi, talked to jahangir, good relations were developed, chandu was handed over to the guru, who met his tragic end later. This same wazir khan, later told emperor shahjahan about the virtues of guruhar gobind and informed him that guru har gobind got built a mosque in hargobind pur, a town built and developed by him, for the prayers of mohammedans. This ultimately led to the ending of the hostilities of shahjahan towards the sikhs.

The period of guru har rai sahib and guru harkrishan sahib is comparatively quite peaceful as there were no hostilities towards the sikh gurus by the rulers of the day although guru har rai kept his army quite intact and in complete readiness to meet any eventualities and guru harkrishan had a very short span of life and as such period of pontification.

Guru tegh bahadur, peace loving and a symbol of sacrifice was to face a different situation. Aurangzeb, the ruler, who annexed the delhi throne by putting his father in prison and after killing his brothers was set to rule in the name of islam and was one of the greatest fundamentalist and a fanatic one. He forcibly converted people to islam and demolished temples and other pilgrimage centers of hindus. He put several restrictions on non-mohammedans and levied several taxes upon them. Guru tegh bhahadur could not bear this injustice and responded to the call of a delegation of brahmins from kashmir. This holding of the arm of the poor victims of the tyranny of the rulers led to his martyrdom and that of some his beloved sikhs. Although, this topic is not the subject matter of this article yet a passing reference has been made to bring out the fact that this act of cruelty, brought several muslim saints and even some of the muslim masses and even the son of aurangzeb and his successor near to the sikh cause and in appreciation of the values held by the sikh gurus.

When gobind rai, the son of guru tegh bahadur, appeared in this world for the first time in patna, it was a mohammedan sufi saint pir syed bhikham shah who realized and felt that his allah or khuda has come to this earth in the east and he prayed in the east instead of facing the west, which was in contrast to the fundamental principles of islam. He started for patna along with some of his followers, and did not leave the door of the child gobind rai without having a glimpse of his, and after testing him in his own way. He came to see the child a second time too, when mother gujri along with her other relatives and some sikhs were proceeding to anandpur sahib as per the dictates of guru tegh bahadur and were passing through lakhnour (a small village near ambala). When he got the news of their arrival, he immediately rushed to the spot and had a glimpse of the holy divine light again, which he saw in child gobind rai.

Another pir aarafdin by name who was passing through lakhnour, after having a pilgrimage to multan and was on way to delhi, on seeing the child, immediately came down from his palanquin (palki), prayed before the child and resumed his journey. He too told his fellow pupils that in him he has seen the immense light (jalw a) of the god.

Then came syed buddu shah who observed the supreme powers and virtues of guru gobind rai, the tenth master. At paonta he inducted 500 pathan soldiers into the army built by the guru to face the tyrannical rulers of the day. But out of these five hundred, four hundred deserted him in the very first war and joined the enemy camp. Only one commander kale khan with his one hundred soldiers stayed with the guru’s army. When pir budhu shah came to know of the treachery committed by his men, he felt very sorry but came to the guru with 700 of his pupils,, one brother and two sons for induction into the army. In the fierce battle at bhangani, that followed both of his sons, his brother and some of his pupils made the supreme sacrifice. The sufi pir did not feel sorry but felt privileged when he was given half of his turban, a comb with some hair, a sword and one addict {hukamnama) by guru gobind rai in appreciation of the services rendered by him. Later saeed khan, a brother of the wife of pir buddhu shah who was ordered by aurangzeb to take command of the mughal army and besiege anandpur, became a well wisher of the guru and refused to fight with him.

In a passing reference it may be mentioned that in a small village known as chhatte anna near mukatsar a person with the name of ibrahim shah fakir used to live. He was popularly known as brahmi shah. He was so impressed by the glimpse (darshan) of the guru and after listening to his views, was so impressed that he discarded his religion and became a sikh after having been baptised. He was renamed as ajmer singh by guru ji himself and he remained in the service of the guru throughout his life.

Some important events relating to guru gobind singh’s life and the role played by some of the mohammedans need a special mention. The story of of uch da pir is well known. When after a fierce battle at chamkaur sahib guru sahib was all alone at maachhiwara, two brothers nabi khan and gani khan , well known to him as horse traders, came to see him with respect at gulabe da bagh and offered their services. Then they got a palanquin (palki) prepared for him and took him across the jungle by lifting him on their shoulders as uch da pir. Uch is a place in multan, now in pakistan, which was very famous for its pirs. Thus the two brave mohammedans courageously and putting their lives in great peril, helped guru sahib to be out of the immediate reach of the mughal army.

When wazir khan, governor of sarhind passed a cruel order of the execution of the two younger sons of guru gobind singh, burying them alive in a wall, nawab sher mohammad khan of malerkotla left the court of wazir khan and protested for the sentence passed. He also wrote to aurangzeb that the execution of the sons of the guru were against the dictates of islam.

Rai kalla was another mohammedan devotee of the guru, who sent his trusted servant mahi whose real name was noora, again a muslim, to sarhind at the instance of guru sahib, to get the news of the younger sahibzadas and mata gujri ji. The tragic news was conveyed by rai kalla with great anguish.

The object of writing this article is to remove the impression that islam as such is against sikhism. No religion worth the name can preach hatred. It is only individuals to meet their own hidden aims and ambitions give the religious teachings a color and fan out the feelings of the ignorant innocent masses to spread the hatred.

Jagjit singh

AUTHOR : THE SIKH TREE

m– 372 guru harkrishan nagar,

new delhi - 110087. Phone; 5267500

The object of writing this article is to remove the impression that islam as such is against sikhism. No religion worth the name can preach hatred. It is only individuals to meet their own hidden aims and ambitions give the religious teachings a color and fan out the feelings of the ignorant innocent masses to spread the hatred.

:wub: :wub:

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Ive been asked to convert plenty of times although i get on with muslims very well. I think the fact of the matter is some people only see things without open mind and only believe what theyve been told. E.g. that Islam is the only true religion. I mean i say this coz there was an arabian muslim who asked me to convert (which really stressed me out because of the following reason) n i think SHE NEVER KNEW A THING ABOUT SIKHI. I know shes a good person and a good muslim, and i can see that she was trying to a good thing converting someone to Islam because she sees it the way to God n she would of shown someone the way to God. But my objection to this was that why talk about converting me - when she doesnt know about my faith, she doesnt know about the other truth in this world?(the other truth meaning the other way to get to God-Sikhi) ive already got the way to God (through Sikhi) so she should of really tried to convert someone who aint got a faith. But then again i dont blame her for asking because i iant got a turbin-so she might of thought i dont believe in my faith.

But anyways muslims n Sikhs get on very well on the whole.

I used to go to islamic events at uni and with my mates and one of them often came with me to sikh events. We used to question eachothers religion and it was really good to educate ourselves. A lot of ppl see u there and try to convert u but its really good to debate with them. I've met some really nice muslims and we'll be mates til i die and i understand that they are only trying to help me trying to convert me but u just have to explain sikhi to them and they wont be able to reply, then they will go do some research and come back and try again, and then they find themselves very stuck cos they know u cant get better than sikhi so need to convert.

I dont get offended , I just find it hilarious :wub:

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh