Research On Nihangs

AKJ Chandigarh

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Niranjana

As you know I only attended the last of the now infamous lectures of Niddar Singh last November. As far as evidence presented to support the UK Nihang ideology at that lecture, I can honestly say there wasn't any. The same goes for the websites. Some people may be convinced by transcripts of tape recordings from so and so Baba but this isn't real evidence. Making statements without any support or clear references is a typical technique of those who have nothing solid to offer, as is bypassing any requests for proper references. I am sure you yourself through the sikhawareness forum are familiar with what I am alluding to.

For this debate to progress perhaps you could bring up a topic related to the Nihangs and provide the references ( if any ) provided by the UK Nihangs and then we can proceed to examine the references and the theory.

Bikramjit,

I have already mentioned a topic related to Nihangs – [see my post above concerning the Dastaar Boonga, Blue Chola and White Kachera being the one and only true form of the Khalsa, and this being some form of official ‘uniform’ for the Khalsa]. I have no need to present any references for this assertion; the UK Nihang sites speak for themselves as to why they derive this conclusion. Likewise, browse this forum or Tapoban, Gursikhijeevan, Sikhawareness, Sikhnet etc etc and you’ll find plenty of posts from AKJ and Taksal affiliated Singhs and Singhnia who will argue the same, as will most of the blogs of some of our more famous members on this forum.

Even a recent article, by Gurmukh Singh, which attempted to criticise the UK Nihangs and make a case for ‘true Nihangs’, could not in the end differentiate or provide a clear few on whom he regarded as a Nihang and ultimately made a series of contradictory statements concerning their origins and his views on their role in the Panth.

It is clear therefore to see that whilst many groups today speak strongly against the (UK) Nihangs and the Budha Dal, they cannot in the end separate themselves from many practices and ideologies derived directly or indirectly from that of the Nihang Singhs, the main one being the issue of appearance and the modes of conduct that go hand in hand with that (e.g. the chola should be of a certain length and cut, a hazooria must only be white, etc etc). It would appear if we look at pictorial evidence that the mass bulk of this change was initiated during the late 1970s and early-mid 1980s, however many non-Nihang institutions have for a long time being influenced by their practices and now consider these to be some form of oral puratan tradition, which may also account for this outlook.

As I also mentioned, this is not a discussion relating solely to UK Nihangs nor is the attitude of reliance on anecdotes relayed by Sants, Babas and Bhai Sahibs. This is a discussion concerning all Sikhs.

Look forward to hearing from you as you initially mentioned that you already have reached some conclusions on this topic.

Bikramjit,

I have already mentioned a topic related to Nihangs – [see my post above concerning the Dastaar Boonga, Blue Chola and White Kachera being the one and only true form of the Khalsa, and this being some form of official ‘uniform’ for the Khalsa]. I have no need to present any references for this assertion; the UK Nihang sites speak for themselves as to why they derive this conclusion. Likewise, browse this forum or Tapoban, Gursikhijeevan, Sikhawareness, Sikhnet etc etc and you’ll find plenty of posts from AKJ and Taksal affiliated Singhs and Singhnia who will argue the same, as will most of the blogs of some of our more famous members on this forum.

Even a recent article, by Gurmukh Singh, which attempted to criticise the UK Nihangs and make a case for ‘true Nihangs’, could not in the end differentiate or provide a clear few on whom he regarded as a Nihang and ultimately made a series of contradictory statements concerning their origins and his views on their role in the Panth.

It is clear therefore to see that whilst many groups today speak strongly against the (UK) Nihangs and the Budha Dal, they cannot in the end separate themselves from many practices and ideologies derived directly or indirectly from that of the Nihang Singhs, the main one being the issue of appearance and the modes of conduct that go hand in hand with that (e.g. the chola should be of a certain length and cut, a hazooria must only be white, etc etc). It would appear if we look at pictorial evidence that the mass bulk of this change was initiated during the late 1970s and early-mid 1980s, however many non-Nihang institutions have for a long time being influenced by their practices and now consider these to be some form of oral puratan tradition, which may also account for this outlook.

As I also mentioned, this is not a discussion relating solely to UK Nihangs nor is the attitude of reliance on anecdotes relayed by Sants, Babas and Bhai Sahibs. This is a discussion concerning all Sikhs.

Look forward to hearing from you as you initially mentioned that you already have reached some conclusions on this topic.

I feel that the reason non-Nihang groups wish to retain certain parts of the Nihang tradition (blue dress, dumalla) is that they see it as more of the Khalsa tradition, and less of the “nihang” tradition.

This brings up an interesting question, is there a difference between Khalsa tradtion, with bana et al, and the nihang tradition?

The Nihangs, in both India and UK, see themselves as the true blue khalsa, and so do Taksal and Akj groups.

In my opinion, it all comes down each of these three groups claiming to retain true Khalsa ethos, and with each group having slight variations in rehit, we see the present conflict.

So far the Nihangs have made a good impression with their researched approach. With Taksal being only second in the firing range of the Nihangs, it’s the Akj that finds itself in the hot seat. Not sure if Amritpal Singh ji is an Akj Singh??

Jai Tegang!

Gur Fateh!

I concur with what you are suggested re: each group claiming itself to be the one and only true holder of the original rehit etc.

As per the Nihangs research and that of the Damdami Taksal, it is not in fact as accurate as people make out. There are many flaws in some of the quotations and conclusions drawn, however that is a subject of further debate and discussion.

As per Amritpal Singh, he is a Hazoori Singh.

Sat Sri Akal:

One thing is perfectly clear...that at one time, being a Sikh meant being a Nihang. Thus, many of the attributes that are trademarks of Nihangs are actually trademarks of being a Sikh. Minus Chatka and Sukha, there are few points of contention between Nihangs and the rest of the Sikh body (ugh...feel bad saying this part, as Nihangs ARE Sikhs).

Now, many claims have been made from the UK group, but those are a subject of great debate and discussion.

My few views...forgive mistakes.

Gur Fateh!

MS Veera, please clarify what you have stated, this is a comment made by a lot of people at their whim with no support whatsoever – how do we know that “at one time, being a Sikh meant being a Nihang”.

On what basis is such a conclusion drawn?

You state that “many of the attributes that are trademarks of Nihangs are actually trademarks of being a Sikh”

We’ll leave the contentious issues of Sukha and Chatka, however this statement is too vague – there are many attributes/trademarks of Nihangs, Nirmalas, Sevapanthis, Namdharis etc which are trademarks of being a Sikh, what value does that add to the discussion.

Please qualify your assertion – of course Nihangs are Sikhs and they have contributed immensely to the Panth, however the question here is, are they the ‘original form of the Khalsa’ i.e. a “Guru-ordained sampradha” as the phrase goes?

If so, why?

If not, then why do the AKJ and Taksali youth like to dress with the so called “uniform” of the Khalsa? Do they consider the Nihang Singh saroop to be the definitive “Khalsa Roop”?

Sat Sri Akal:

Well, let me address your comment with a question...what in the Nihang conduct of behavior do you see that makes them so unique from the rest of the Panth?

They follow the Rehat of the Panj Kakkars, they consider the Guru Granth Sahib as their Guru (though they do pay a great deal of respect to the Dasam Granth Sahib and the Sarbloh Granth). They are in tune with the concept of the Sant-Siphai (they do not simply think war all the time...they do a daily Nitnem and Paath and could be versed in many Granths of various faiths). Nihangs are not alien to the concept of sewa, as their sword was doing the sewa of preventing oppression of an entire sub-continent. To me, there is not a single Sampardaya that a Nihang could not be considered a part of, because the Nihang's activity is not restricted to only soldiery (this is actually a responsibility of every Sikh). Am I to assume that a Nihang cannot be studious of other Granths and scriptures just because of the Nihang designation? This is obviously not true because there have been Nihang scholars. So what really separates a Sikh from a Nihang?

As per history, the Sikhs were greatly persecuted by the Mughals and the many Rajas who did not see eye to the Gurmat way of life. Therefore, the Sikhs were under constant persecution, to which they fought back. Essentially, a Nihang is a fearless warrior who fights against opponents with utter disregard of body injury or death. Can we not define every Sikh who lived in that period as such and those Sikhs who still live by this definition as Nihangs? Nihangs were strict in keeping ther physical and mental Rehat...can we not define a Sikh in this way? At that time, if you were a Sikh, you fought for your existence or you died. Nihang later came to be defined as one who owes allegiance to a Dal, but these Dals were formed to better manage the entire Sikh Panth in military roles. The Budha Dal and Tarna Dal were formed to divide the roles of the Sikhs in the management of Panthic responsibilities, not as some separate Sampardaya of the Sikhs. Therefore, to be a Sikh, you were a Nihang. Any history book on Sikhism will give you this conclusion (or maybe my mind is very biased).

The pivitol definition of a Sikh is that who has taken Amrit from the Guru and been bestowed the Rehat and Kakkars. That route is granted by the Panj Pyare. Amrit has been a tradition from the time of Guru Nanak (Charan Amrit) all the way to today (Khandae-Batta-Amrit). Nihangs do adhere to this concept. Shall I place the Naamdharis in this same category (human Guru and Havans), Nirmalae/Sevapanthis (do not necessarily partake of Amrit), Udasis (many differences from Gurmat)? Though these movements have contributed to the Sikh Panth, the Sikh Panth/Khalsa is finds its closest link to the Nihangs.

I would, however, be interested in your view of the question stated at the head of the post.

MS Veera,

I concur that Nihangs are part and parcel of the Panth - no where have I stated to the contrary, my point is that people or even "scholars" draw the conclusion that all Sikhs were Nihangs and essentially that in 1699, Guru Sahib established the "Akali Nihang Singh Khalsa Panth", which is a flawed concept.

The term "Nihang" did not come into vogue as a reference for a group of people until much later, previously it was simply a adjective term to describe their bravery.

What you have shown is all the qualities people associate with Nihangs are nothing but qualities of Sikhs. The additional items over above these aspects are unique to Nihangs (i.e. Neela Bana, Aad Chand, Sukha, Chatka, Sarabloh Parkash, Sarabloh Bibek etc) and are clearly part and parcel of when the 'dal' splits for organisational purposes occurred (much later than 1699).

So the assertion that Nihangs are "the" original saroop of the Khalsa is not a clear cut as made out by most people, pro-or-anti Nihang in their thoughts.

Anyhow, I'll allow the forum to follow up this discussion to their own conclusions when further material is made publically accessible.