Sikh Girl Elopes With Hindu Guy. Sikh Parents: Wak

"maanas key jaat subh aiko pachaan"

ahhh yesss the line gurdwara parbandaks use to justify anad karaj of non Sikhs :doh: @ (esspec when its there own kids)

agree with tarunjeet singh post... a Sikh should marry a Sikh and Amritdharhi should only marry amritdharhi.. there are reasons for this

how is marrying a hindu, muslim who ever a good thing?

get over this lovey dovey thing its not all wot we crack it up to be :) ... ohh she falls in "love" has to marry him.... lattter on she find out he says his religion says its fine to smack her about...

126150[/snapback]

veer,

First of all that original news post is without full facts. How do you know if she was or wasn't Amritdhari? The news article says she was a sikh, but then again the general definition for a Sikh doesn't follow the definitino in the Rehit. The definition of a Sikh is clearly defined by Rehit, if you are going to stick by it then first and far most let us find out if she was indeed Sikh, ie: Amritdhari. If she ain't then your point on Sikhs should marry Sikhs isn't regulated by religion because it is a Socialy accepted norm to marry within your own 'kind' (notice i did not say Amritdharis, but Sikhs just as you had seperated the 2). If 2 people can look beyond boundries of lables then kudos to them for they have take a step that few have taken and it take courage to take this step. It is not a sign of weakness.

Second, we cannot judge their Love, whatever it might be the case. Just because all you have heard is women getting beat up in inter-relgious marriages, doesn't mean it is true in all cases. There are far far more cases regarding women getting beat up in marriage within the same Religion. Almost every religion bans marriages out of their own religion and obviously they both took the step to ignore this. Is it not obvious they could care less what the world say about them. That in my opinion is a far greater feat than anyone cares to think. Besides they decided to marry in the Court which cares less what individual from what religion is getting married to another.

If you wish to ignore this fact or give it less importance that Guru Nanak dev ji cared less about religion and focused more on Humanity as a source from the one, then that is you choice. To look at another as a fellow child of god, as a beloved, as a brother or sister and express Love towards them as you would your own irrespecitve of what religion they are following in this birth, irrespective of what beliefs they adhere to is a sign of Greatness in my book.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanna put in my two cents and say that im a liitle dissapointed with what we have all become. Why is marrying between religions a bad thing?

Every religion preaches one thing...---->THERE IS ONE HUMAN RACE!!!

Great souls, with gods grace grant us with the wisdom of attaining union with god(jesus,mohammed, The ten gurus,etc). Think of how they would feel if they were around to see how man has steeped so low to create such thick lines between minor differences. LOVE EVERYONE! wether ur a free thinker, muslim, sikh amritdari, taoist,jew,budhist,etc.

What our generations need to do is teach our kids to love everyone for being gods creations. Teach our kids that religion is a mean of attaining inner peace and knowing god and that ultimately every religion brings you to the very same place.

Maybe what i beleive in is far from ever happening in society but i can only make this humble request to everybody reading this. Religion preaches love. Its us egotistical humans that need a sense of belonging and create these barriers. If you beleive in god, live your life knowing that there is some force that is infinitely greater than you, why distinguish between who you can marry or who you cant marry just because of these barriers created by man. Its time we broke these barriers. Lets learn from all our religions and STOP HATING. If you truly beleive in god, you wouldnt see a persons faith, colour, cast, creed, etc. Guru Nanak Said that one who sees god in all is very rare. Lets change that.

PEACE AND LOVE

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

er didnt Guru Gobind Singh Ji say that a sikh should only give his daughter in marriage to a sikh.

yeh safe we are all humans, doesnt mean we marry whoever.

A true sikh will marry a true sikh in my opinon cos they want their kids to grow up like that and also they want a partner who can help them keep rehit etc.

However here I'm assuming this was more of a punjabi rather than sikh family and so it was more abt izzat lol and so they shud just calm down cos they married now and also she may not be religious so it shouldnt matter who she marries.

But I disagree abt a true sikh marrying a non sikh because in my opinion wouldnt you want someone who also loves Guru Ji and you together can love Guru Ji more.........ahhhhhh..... now thats more luvyy duvvy than marrying a hindu guy cos ur eyes met when u dropped ur books on college and then bumped heads when picking them up rolleyes.gif .

Guest A Singh.

This Shabad is by Guru Tegh Bahaadur Ji in Raag Dayv Gandhaaree on Pannaa 536

dyvgMDwrI mhlw 9 ]

dhaevaga(n)dhhaaree mehalaa 9 ||

Raag Dayv-Gandhaaree, Ninth Mehl:

jgq mY JUTI dyKI pRIiq ]

jagath mai jhoot(h)ee dhaekhee preeth ||

In this world, I have seen love to be false.

Apny hI suK isau sB lwgy ikAw dwrw ikAw mIq ]1] rhwau ]

apanae hee sukh sio sabh laagae kiaa dhaaraa kiaa meeth ||1|| rehaao ||

Whether they are spouses or friends, all are concerned only with their own happiness. ||1||Pause||

myrau myrau sBY khq hY ihq isau bwiDE cIq ]

maero maero sabhai kehath hai hith sio baadhhiou cheeth ||

All say, ""Mine, mine"", and attach their consciousness to you with love.

AMiq kwil sMgI nh koaU ieh Acrj hY rIiq ]1]

a(n)th kaal sa(n)gee neh kooo eih acharaj hai reeth ||1||

But at the very last moment, none shall go along with you. How strange are the ways of the world! ||1||

mn mUrK AjhU nh smJq isK dY hwirE nIq ]

man moorakh ajehoo neh samajhath sikh dhai haariou neeth ||

The foolish mind has not yet reformed itself, although I have grown weary of continually instructing it.

nwnk Baujlu pwir prY jau gwvY pRB ky gIq ]2]3]6]38]47]

naanak bhoujal paar parai jo gaavai prabh kae geeth ||2||3||6||38||47||

O Nanak, one crosses over the terrifying world-ocean, singing the Songs of God. ||2||3||6||38||47||

No Sikh parent wants to go through this. The problem is that Sikh parents sow such seeds that they are almost certain to reap such fruits as in the story below. Something to ponder upon:

1) Parents don't take Sikhi seriously. "Sabh kich apna ikk Raam paraiya" (Everything is mine except for God) is the principle by which we are living today. How important is Sikhi in our life today? We need to ponder upon this question  . How often do parents compromise on Sikhi and cut their hair? How often do they do other anti-Gurmat stuff? How will their children do anything different? If we don't follow Gurmat, how can we expect our children to follow Gurmat. Recently a Bibi came to Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib and expressed her happiness at her daughter wearing a Dastar. We told her that her daughter would wear Dastar permanently only if she too started wearing it. She was a bit hesitant.

2) Parents go to pure Manmukhi parties where they let their women (wives, sisters daughters and mothers) dance shamelessly in front of other men who are even drunk. They themselves have no shame in dancing along with other women. They and their women dance on Ashaleel (Kaam songs) songs. Kalyug is dancing fully naked now. We have lost shame that our forefathers had in front of their daughters, sisters and mothers. This is the worse kind of kanjarpuna that has been witnessed only in the recent years. Women, even 20-30 years ago, used to do gidha only with other women and not in front of other men. Only Bazaaroo women (bad women, kanjariyaan) used to do dance in front of other men. Women of Shareef families used to dance only with other women. This was respectable. Of course Sikh amritdhari women abstained from even that. What do we expect our children to become if we engage in such kanjar-ous activities?

3) Sikh parents watch Hindi movies not only themselves but also expose their innocent masoom children to this gand-mand (dirt). What is a typical Hindi movie story? The hero falls in love with the heroine and the heroine falls in love with the hero. Both the heroine and the hero are from different social or religious backgrounds. These kids act shamelessly and do sexual things  . Their poor parents who try to stop them are painted as villains. O Sikho Veero atay Bhaino, what will your children do when they grow up? Will they not follow what they have been fed with all their lives? Will they not take lead from heroes and heroines of films and elope with their lovers before marriage as Amanpreet Kaur of the news below did? Instead of stopping the marriage when they cannot stop it, why not stop it when the problem is small? Why not nip it in the bud? Why expose them to gand-mand and then regret it?

4) Sikh mothers themselves dress so badly and anti-gurmatly that they daughters will follow onlyl their mother. If their mothers dress up suggestively and lasviciously, what else do they expect their daughters to do? So Sikh Bhaino, kirpa karo, wear non-revealing clothes. Follow Gurmat and be saved from troubles you will surely face from your children later on.

I think we have reached a very very dark age. We cannot understand it because we are amidst it. Something has to be done to protect our values. Not only are Sikhs suffereing from this erosion of Sikh values but all Indians are suffering the erosion of Indian values. The rich Indian culture is being taken over by Western culture. Celebration of Valentine day is common in India now.

In any case, I think Hindus are far more relaxed about this. Indian Muslims are little bit better than Hindus but only middle-class families. Poor Muslim families are worse affected. Sikhs can't wait for other communities in India to act. The evil of Bollywood must be tackled. It must be stopped. This Kanjarpuna must be contained. Something must be done. Khalsa jee kuchh karo.

126148[/snapback]

Very nice!

Great post!

er didnt Guru Gobind Singh Ji say that a sikh should only give his daughter in marriage to a sikh.

yeh safe we are all humans, doesnt mean we marry whoever.

A true sikh will marry a true sikh in my opinon cos they want their kids to grow up like that and also they want a partner who can help them keep rehit etc.

However here I'm assuming this was more of a punjabi rather than sikh family and so it was more abt izzat lol and so they shud just calm down cos they married now and also she may not be religious so it shouldnt matter who she marries.

But I disagree abt a true sikh marrying a non sikh because in my opinion wouldnt you want someone who also loves Guru Ji and you together can love Guru Ji more.........ahhhhhh..... now thats more luvyy duvvy than marrying a hindu guy cos ur eyes met when u dropped ur books on college and then bumped heads when picking them up rolleyes.gif .

126470[/snapback]

EXACTLY!!!! :e:

WaheGuru Ji Ka Khalsa, WaheGuru Ji Ki Fateh

Veero, Behno, this is my first time to this forum. I was amused by the topic so I decided to add my bit to it.

If a marriage is a meeting of minds, would'nt getting married to someone who understands your mind be better? In this case if the girl decided to marry a Hindu guy, its obvious that religion is not what her mind seeks. She could have a million reasons to choose the Hindu boy.

How can we be judgemental of her just cause she was born into a Sikh family? How do we even know how much of Sikh values have been instilled into her? Does her family even bother about their own identity?

Like tarunjeet ji said, before questioning her action, should'nt we look within?

Agree with confused sikh

Fact is alot of So-called sikh families living in the west arnt actualy sikhs.since they didnt learn gurbani, neither did their children. hence both elder and younger generation are griped by the 5 vices. some people say westernization is the problem, thats not entirley correct, if someone is studied in gurbani and part of khalsa 'westernization' or performing useles hindu rituals (as alot of so called sikhs in india do) aint a threat.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa. Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

Sangat ji...i believe that sometimes punjabi sikh parents do a lot of stuff according to Punjabi tradition, not Sikh tradition. i know this for a fact because i see it in my own house.

get this: my parents say that im only allowed to marry a Jatt because i am a Jatti. i once asked my mother "Doesn't it say say in Gurbaani that we should not believe in castes?" and she replied "Yes. We believe that evryone is equal." so then i asked her "So why do you say that I'm only allowed to marry a so-called Jatt?" and she got mad and said "That's a totally different story."

now how on Earth can we call that "a totally different story"????

:) thats just disgusting!!

my mom also said "The people from the lower castes don't know much about Sikhism; so how will you ever be able to live with a low-caste guy?"

i cant believe this!! its such a shame to hear it from my mother. even though i am an Amrit-Dhari, she calls me a Jatti! no.gif

an Amrit-Dhari should never be classified as anyone belonging to a caste!

the basic point of me posting all of this is so that you all can understand that the issue with parents not allowing their Sikh children to marry a non-Sikh isnt just because they believe that their child is a Sikh and therefore is only allowed to marry a Sikh...its because they dont want their caste family line (or whatever you want to call it) to be destroyed.

i mean seriously..think about it Sangat ji:

im sure you know a lot of so called sikh parents who wont let their children marry a person of a so called lower caste. now do you really think that the parents in the news you just read about are more Punjabi-based, rather than Sikhi-based. if the parents actually taught their children to follow the path of Sihism, then they wouldnt have such problems.

and whats this talk i always hear from Punjabi people: "Oh my God! She did this. She did that!" "She commited adultery!" "I cant believe that she would actually sleep with a guy before marriage!"

i mean, seriously...is this some kind of joke or something? doesnt Gurbaani say that males and females are equal?? :doh: so why is that the girls are always the ones being told off by others? i totally understand the fact that girls would be the ones with the problem in the end with the child and everything and that you can always tell for sure (in india) that a girl was being bad...but i also know that Punjabi parents would think more badly of the girl than they would of the guy! girls and guys should get the same teachings and both should know that committing adultery is wrong in Sikhism.

and some parents wont allow their child to marry a person because that person might be a lower "caste" than them, and then the parents wouldnt be able to keep their heads high in front of other people who belong to the same "caste" as them. DISGUSTING! we are all made equal.

dont you guys see that if the "high" class people dont teach the "low" caste people the way of Sikhi, then the "high" caste people are really the ones with the cold hearts...meanies!

and im sure that all of you are aware of the fact that the so-called "jatts" are the ones who are really bad these days and the ones who are messing up our sikhi! its so sad really. just horrible! the "jatts" think they're all that. and my mom says im a jatt and tries to make me feel that im all that...but im only a SIKH! and SIKHS HAVE NO CASTES! when will people learn?

so i guess you can decide what is really wrong:

1. for parents to not allow their child to marry a non-sikh because they are really into sikhi and find that the couple wont get along so well beacuse of the different beliefs.

2. for parents to not allow their child to marry a non-sikh because they are so much into the caste system that they wont allow their child to even 'think' about marrying a person out of thier caste.

OR.....

3. for parents to not allow their child to marry a non-sikh because they believe that they, as parents, wouldnt be able to keep their head high in front of others.

please forgive me if i have said too much.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa. Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.