Karah Prashad Being Disrespected

DhadiMania

my gran came back from the local guru ghar aaj and was telling me what she saw.

basically, she saw karah prashaad dumped everywhere, like wear theres the trolly to carry all the trays (i think) as well as it was put in someones joothi.

my question to the sangat is, how do we educate the kids (as i presume this is nyaaniya da kam) that karah prashad is sacred and hence you shouldnt trow it away (and in some cases put it in someones joothi)?

gustaphi maaf

maybe when they go to get the parshaad tell the parents to make sure they either eat it all or dont take any

126995[/snapback]

or make em take a small amount? ie tell the persons giving to giv small kids a small amount so they can quick time jst put it in the mouth and eat it!!

Maybe (this is gona sound really weird) make the deg in a differnt way? Like that appeals to kids? Less butter, or something?

In our local Gurdwara, we got like various differnt types.. One in particular, seriously, u get calestrol problems with the amount of butter Giani Ji puts in!!!! lol thats enough to put the kids of!!

Also maybe let them do the seva of distributing to?

Sat Sri Akal:

Parent's responsibility. Gotta tell the kids to take little and tell them to finish it. If you can do that with dinner, you can do that with Parshad.

As per altering the recipe of Parshad...sorry, that is a recipe strictly defined in quantity. The ingredients are not to be adjusted.

Degh should not be taken out of the divan hall full stop.

It's kirpa, kirpa that should be had inside Guru Saahib's darbaar. Have it all, then leave.

It's easy to start an awareness campaign (posters etc) sround the Gurudwara reminding people that Degh is Sacred kirpa recieved from Guru Saahib and that we should have it gracefully, and THEN leave Guru Saahib's darbaar. Not put it in a bag and leave it to rot by the shoes!

ms514, bro u mis understand what im saying.

If you go to every Gurdwara in the UK u will deg is different at each, When made in Sarbloh, tastes the best! But not everywhere uses sarbloh either.

Therefore the suggestion.

If everyone obeyed maryada then we wouldnt be having this discussion yeh?

Yeh its parents responsibility but then at the same time isnt it OURS to educate the kids?

I cant speak for everyone but when i was little, we didnt understand what was going on, our parents didnt know either because they probably wernt told. They only know so much, but then even if they do, how many kids listen to their parents?

its easy to shift the blame to the parents and dismiss the issue, the bit where it gets difficult is when you, the youth do it. as we just think, chal its ok, let the parents deal with it.

IF WE the YOUTH, make a stand and actually chat to the kids, on THEIR level, u will see a BIG change. Kids will listen to you more then parents as they see you as older bros and sisters, not just some elder giving em a lecture.

Try it, if it dont work, then maybe your right for your youngsters but from experience i speak, make friends with the kids, tell em what its for, make it fun for them and they will learn to love it as much as we do.

Not everything is a parents duty! Yeh in a way it is but its ours too.

Iv been to leicester, theres alot of youth, just they dont interact. Why? Maybe a bit of more smiling when your in the Gurdwara and kids will find it more appealing!

WJKK WJKF

i have to agree on rKr with this one, it shouldnt be taken out.

but.... i was thinking, a child throwing karah prashaad into someones joothe says it all. i was wondering, why do some of the babai/bibiyan give so much prahshaad to kids in the first place?

but...im just making an assumption.

some bibiyan have come up to me saying whenever i go home, i should always take some degh for the entire family to eat, because apparently thats what they do?

sometimes where the pandes are being cleaned, some people tend to leave there prahshaad there and leave it to rot in the plastic bag.

although, i agree with rKr's advertising campaign, the ones that do leave karah prahshaad around are the kids (well...tend to be), problem is, how do we make it understandable for them not to leave it around?

gustaphi maaf

Sat Sri Akal:

All_Info Ji, I agree to what you say, but also agree with hesitation. Parents are the leading influence in a child's life. Therefore, it becomes the primary responsibility to take care of kids. If a kid gets into a fight in school, the principal calls the parents in, not the entire school for an assembly on where the kid goes wrong.

If the entire Sikh community took steps to correct such behavior, I see no problem with it. However, you would be saddened to know that some parents take issue with people intervening with their kids. I had one person tell me about how he tried to stop a kid running around in the Gurudwara. He went as far as to tell the father to tell his kid to stop. The father actually started to argue with him and they both stepped outside almost to the point of having a physical altercation....this is not something isolated either. So if anyone was to make such an intervention, beware of haumai-filled people who, despite knowing what is the correct behavior, cannot take the fact that someone is telling them what to do.

Safest and best would be if parents took the responsibility, though if another sewadaar wanted to take that responsibility, no problems. But at some point, you have to start wondering what parents must be told about keeping their children in check. If Christians can take their kids to church and have enough discipline to have them sit through the sermon sitting down and not have them running around and screaming, why cannot the Sikhs? If these same kids can sit at attention at school, then why cannot they be told to do the same at Gurudwara? It shows a lack of discipline and proper attitude in the parents. I tell you if a Sikh child was ever caught running around in school like a lunatic and screaming, they would be severely disciplined by their parents. And yet, at Gurudwara, this is perfectly acceptable behavior? Why?

Of course, this is from me, who had no kids...so I am not even going to comment on how difficult it is to raise kids, cause I cannot say. But the community must begin to re-evaluate whether Gurudwaras are just something where adults pay attention and kids are allowed to run around at or something more.

This is one of many things that the Gurudwara is facing...not that adults are any better...cha and samose/pakora breakfasts...got more adults chilling at the buffet line (cause God knows, that can barely be called Pangat but rather a socializing avenue) than in the Gurudwara...but we leave that for another rant... blush.gif

My views...Bhul Chuk Maaf.