Gurdwaras In Edmonton Canada

Hi people, This isn't Prabjit but his brother. i've read through some of the topics in this forum and seen that u've guys/girls got some knowledge of alot of things that goes around in our world. I need to fill you peeps in with something small but i need help....

Edmonton has 4 Gurdwaras, they are controlled by commitees which are based on Caste.

-the first one, called Sikh Society gurdwara, was built many many years ago. Anyone was allowed to be apart of the commitee. about ten years later, the majority of the sikhs at that area were jatts and they took over the commitee. This gurdwara was built on the northside of edmonton.

years later sikhs populated the southside of edmonton and a gurdwara was built called Ramgharia Gurdwara(now changed to Gurdwara Millwoods lol street name.). this gurdwara is run by Dharkans and jatts are not allowed to be apart of the commitee b/c of what happened at the Sikh society. so five minutes away another gurdwara was built called Singh Sabha, and coincidently (however it's spelt) the commitee are mostly of the jatt caste.

The last gurdwara is Nanaksar gurdwara which is not a real sikh gurdwara because it's one of those Nanaksarian one (im sure u guys noe what im talking about).

Now that you guys have alittle knowledge on the gurdwaras in edmonton, I"ll tell u the problem. At this point, the majority of the sikhs in edmonton live in the Southside where Gurdwara Millwoods and Singh Sabha are located. The problem here is that Jatts go to Singh Sabha and Dharkans go to Gurdwara Millwoods. The sikhs are split there.... do you guys have any ideas' or commenntsss on what can be done?? Im sure that this isnt just going on just in Edmonton but all over the world, am i right?

I think the only way to get over this is when the younger generation start to run the gurdwaras, maybe they will have better sense then the older lot. Having said that I do not hold much hope because from what you hear from many young’uns these days, especially the Jatts, they seem to want to carry on the ‘traditions’ of the older generation. A lot of Jatts are fiercely protective of their Jaat – even going as far as saying that Sikhism came about with the generous help of the Jatts etc – will not want to cooperate with other Gurdwaras. Having said that the Ramgarhias are no better.

How do we get them to cooperate? I think inter-marriage would go a long way to unite the jaats.

I think we should all recount the evolution of Gurdwaras in our local towns, like the one recounted here. I think it will make frightening ( and interesting reading) …………………… in fact let me go and do just that !

vaaheguroojeekaakhaalsaa

vaaheguroojeekeefatheh!!!!!

I agree with Bundha Singh jee

I don't think that it is right or fair to blame jatt kids for any problems. Kids have no idea what is going on and they need more education.

When the youth get involved, it will force the parents to stop their petty politics.

The best thing to do is if a few young people from different groups have a program TOGETHER every two weeks

like on the 1st of the month and 15th of the month ...

on the 1st it could be at one gurdwara,

and on the 15th it could be at the other gurdwara

just some thoughts

in surrey we have a few programs where all different groups attend.

especially the akhand jaap people from all backgrounds attend.

vaaheguroojeekaakhaalsaa

vaaheguroojeekeefatheh !!!!

vaaaheguroojeekaakhaalsaa

vaaheguroojeekeefathehhhhh !!!!!!

don't bother with the committee right now

the committees are on their own agendas

for now get the youth together

if the youth are united and they are ready to have an event

then the committee will agree

but if it is just one person with an idea

the committee will show their true colours and say buzz off

unless they are actually gursikhs and they don't have chaudar di bhukh like most of the committees these days (most not all)

:lol:

vaaheguroojeekaakhaalsaa

vaaheguroojeekeefatheh !!!!

Get all the youth and like minded supporters who are eligible as voting members to become voting members of the gurudwaras. Read the rules carefully to ensure eligibility for voting in the next election and make it clear in the community that the group will attach great weight in their voting decision to a committee which has diverse representation of gender, background and those who will speak against such divisions.

Your victory is not in getting a committee in. It is in going through the process and taking it to this level as an issue. One word of caution is keep principled, non judgmental and courteous to all. Fight extremely respectfully, calmly and fearlessly. For some reason some of these people always personalize gurudwara politics which should not be the case. Too many hick punjabi's posing as sikhs are usually involved as well there is no shortage of external political influences to fan the flames.

Another alternative is to have all the youth jointly alternate between attending gurudwaras. Do this not as a protest or as some big deal, but as a simple respectful way of having an inclusive sangat. Give it some time to become the norm. Others will likely get the message, but you don't really even have to worry about them.

ya but the problem is their ain't many youth members here that actually care about the gudwara and they themselves think i'm "Jat" and all that crap... their is no gursikhs in the commitee unfortunatly, but their is some gursikh youth (only a few) that i'm gonna rally and am going to set up a event lol thanks!