Eggs ?

Guest guest

Dear LostSoul

I think the point palamrinder wa trying to make is that eggs are by design "carriers of life". Whether they made it that far (i.e fertilized/unfertilized) is a different question.

Milk on the other hand is not and is only a foodstuff whose sole purpose is to provide nourishment.

whether any of this actually matters to you is down to your choice and your concience.

Regards

Gursharan Singh

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>>>>>

And Brother Singh, what is the purpose of those eggs then? Throw them away? Eggs are edible raw or cooked, so therefore it is produced for consumption.

>>>>>

I'm not sure I understand your logic here. You say you can eat an egg raw and from that it follows it was "produced for consumption"?

You can drink blood without cooking it (there are Kenyan tribes who mix it with milk and say it's highly nutiritious) and you can drink urine without cooking it (done by some in India with cow urine) but that doesn't make them "produced for consumption".

Something is produced for consumption if its purpose was food. The chicken does not lay the egg and then eat it. Nor do its chicks go and eat the eggs. Now to help you comprehend the argument, milk is produced expressly for consumption. It's not a waste product, or a reproductive product. It is produced to be consumed and that is its only function. Herbivores drink milk (but not eat meat or eggs unlike carnivores).

The only things that eat the eggs are carnivores. No rabbit will eat an egg, nor a cow. The egg was not produced to be eaten.

If you still don't see the argument and the logic, I'm not sure anyone can help you.

Also I dont think that cows actually produce milk for the intention of human consumption.  Please lets think before we post!!!

Also to the post saying our Gurus ate meat, I really think thats inaccurate, and diet should be an issue, I think enlightened men would not eat meat....

133533[/snapback]

I also think than hens dont produce eggs for human consumption and cows/poultry dont giver birth to offsprings so that they can be butchered and fed to satisfy someones taste bud. Would you like your offsprings to be fed to other carnivore animals?

Please lets think before we post!!!

Fateh!

133537[/snapback]

Thats the thing, I am thinking!!! before you get worked up and use these!!!!! which by the way doesnt make your statement any more right THINK! Please show me where I said anything about butchering animals? Where did I ever say that? Im talking about EGGS, UNFERTILIZED EGGS. And Brother Singh, what is the purpose of those eggs then? Throw them away? Eggs are edible raw or cooked, so therefore it is produced for consumption. Carnivores drink milk to whats the point? I could use that same reference as well...it still doesnt explain why eggs are a no no.

133544[/snapback]

Dear lost soul,

I am a fool... can you enlighten me how you differentiate between a fertilised and un fertilised egg by looking at it? Is there some LCD display on an egg displaying its status as either one of those.......

you proove my point again by telling me that carnivores drink milk too..... so MILK is universally consumed by all creatures, thus it is a food product fit for consumption as it doesn nor require you to kill a cow to drink its milk. on other hand to drink its blood you do have to kill it.

Regarding an egg, it is carrier of life form like a womb. You dont go around assuming there is no life in it during preliminary stages. People do suffer miscarriages and other comlications and foetus is discarded. It does not make it fit for consumption.

bhul chuk maaf

"I'm not sure I understand your logic here. You say you can eat an egg raw and from that it follows it was "produced for consumption"?

You can drink blood without cooking it (there are Kenyan tribes who mix it with milk and say it's highly nutiritious) and you can drink urine without cooking it (done by some in India with cow urine) but that doesn't make them "produced for consumption".

Something is produced for consumption if its purpose was food. The chicken does not lay the egg and then eat it. Nor do its chicks go and eat the eggs. Now to help you comprehend the argument, milk is produced expressly for consumption. It's not a waste product, or a reproductive product. It is produced to be consumed and that is its only function. Herbivores drink milk (but not eat meat or eggs unlike carnivores).

The only things that eat the eggs are carnivores. No rabbit will eat an egg, nor a cow. The egg was not produced to be eaten.

If you still don't see the argument and the logic, I'm not sure anyone can help you."

Brother Singh Nothing is produced for consumption, unless we harvest, gather, and grow, it, then its produced for consumption. WE choose what is produced for consumption, I dont harvest blood or urine, so I cant say much on their taste (btw urine has medicinal benifits). Who are you to say what was produced for consumtion and what wasnt you just showed us that differet cultures around the world tend to consume something another wouldnt, it all boils down to ones own taste, and if the object in question is edible. The reason for saying a raw egg is edible shows that humans can consume it and handle it through their digestion, according to nature its edible, meat needs to be cooked, thats what I meant :umm: And yes no human can help me, why? Because I never asked for yours or anyones help or needed it, thats Gods job :lol: oh and you dont need to be hostile with me jaanu! This is all in the name of knowledge!

Brother Gursharan thank you for your insight, you are much more wiser than me, and I respect your humbleness :umm: . However Brother is not everything a "carrier of life"? Is not the vegetables we eat all carriers of life? Im just looking for answer Brother Bhul Chuk Maf

As for why dont we eat rooster sperm? Is that really considered a counter argument or did a 12 year old just say that? When you get to the sixth grade youll learn what the differences are between eggs, and semen, we dont need to tell you that now.

133533[/snapback]

Its a serious question, and not a counter argument. Judging by your logic, rooster semen would fall into the same category as eggs, and as such is fit for consumption, unless you find the thought rather disgusting, and if the latter is true, perhaps you can see where some non-egg eaters are coming from.

My apologies in advance for slightly shifting this debate and adding a few comments here from the mind of a 12 year old.

Let us for a second move to the issue of compassion or daya. In Jap Ji Sahib it states ( apologies for the one liner, I know people don't like them here as they are usually taken out of context, but as the bani is familiar, I feel its use can be justified here):

" Dhaul Dharam Daya ka poot "

The mythical bull which supposedly holds the world in place is actually Dharam, the child of compassion (daya).

Now onto the issue of daya without going into a what you should and shouldn't eat debate, as that is nota judgment I would choose to make for other people. In terms of compassion, we can see caged hens live in appaling conditions, again something I will not elaborate on, just visit your nearest poultry farm or a website such as PETA for more information on this. Features sucha s cramped spaces to maximise farm capacities and reduce energy loss through movement are some of the features of the fun packed life of a battery cage hen. Anyway, most will be aware of such arguments, and as such there is no need to go into them here.

Now, that would lead us to conclude that in terms of daya, or compassion for animals, free range eggs are the most vaiable for consumption. However, many would protest around the afct, again highlighted byy animal welfare societies such as PETA taht in free range hens, issues such as some hens being bullied by more dominant ones etc exist (the pecking order argument etc, that the keen biologists on this thread will know more about, unlike my unfortuntely uneducated self). Again, more information on this can be found on animal welfare sites such as PETA, alongside information regarding the mistreatment of animals in the dairy industry .

And now onto the interesting part of the post, I came across an article in the British Newspapers around a year ago, where Tesco were selling some specail breed of hens eggs, which if I remember correctly have a different colour to normal hens eggs. These eggs were free range.

Now, one chappie brought these eggs, and somehow deduced it had been fertilised (can't recall how), and as such hatched it and voila, out came a special funky coloured hen.

The reason for this? Apparently some free range farms ( not sure if this is the case in the UK ) have roosters kept with free range hens, as they serve some purpose (not quite sure of the exact details, but something to do with hormones I assume, and probably something to do with influencing the egg laying behaviour of hens).

Now anyway, I was just wondering if this is the case in the UK too? If free range eggs, which (it would appear within the confines of my limited intellect) can be deemed as more compassionate eating than those of battery cage robo-hens, could also be at times fertilised due to the presence of roosters in free rannge poultry farms.

Can anyone shed light on this subject? I will try to find the article, as I kept a copy somehwere as it was quite intriguing. Also, I apologise for any mistakes in this thread, but the general gist of the story is accurate (ie guy bought free range eggs from Tesco, and one hatched into a chick when he incubated). Also, my apologies for answering nothing, but asking much. I wish I had the knowledge to add more constructively to this thread, perhaps with the grace of Waheguru after I have completed the sixth grade ( whatever that is ) this may be the case.

final attempt:

egg vs. milk or anything else is a question of function. Not what function *I* take from it, but the function it was specifically created for.

Milk: no function except food. Produced by the cow for food. It cannot be used for any other purpose.

Egg: no function intended except reproduction. Not intended as food. If you choose to eat it, you are creating your own purpose for it, not what it was designed for.

If you go with your logic, it opens the doors to legitimately eating/drinking all kinds of things like urine, blood, and yes, even meat.

But this is all logic. Fact is that all Gursikhs in the past and now say that eggs are not acceptable for a spiritual diet and are in fact the equivalent of meat.

"Now, that would lead us to conclude that in terms of daya, or compassion for animals, free range eggs are the most vaiable for consumption. However, many would protest around the afct, again highlighted byy animal welfare societies such as PETA taht in free range hens, issues such as some hens being bullied by more dominant ones etc exist (the pecking order argument etc, that the keen biologists on this thread will know more about, unlike my unfortuntely uneducated self). Again, more information on this can be found on animal welfare sites such as PETA, alongside information regarding the mistreatment of animals in the dairy industry."

Thats a complaint against nature. If they were in the wild they would have the same tendencies, theyre animals thats what they do, we cant go and tell them "dont bully that hen." :lol:

"And now onto the interesting part of the post, I came across an article in the British Newspapers around a year ago, where Tesco were selling some specail breed of hens eggs, which if I remember correctly have a different colour to normal hens eggs. These eggs were free range. Now, one chappie brought these eggs, and somehow deduced it had been fertilised (can't recall how), and as such hatched it and voila, out came a special funky coloured hen."

I find that hard to believe. Say the egg was fertilized, it would have been collected proccessed and shipped, all in the cold, if the egg does not recieve warmth, (a hen sitting on it), the fetus will not develop. So after having the eggs sitting in the firdge for who knows how long, and travelling all that distance, this man brought it home and hatched it, wow. A hen lays an egg every 18-26 hours, regardless is he was mounted. About the semen question, I apologize I thought maybe you were just asking a silly question. Semen ejaculates from a males <admin-profanity filter activated>, and egg from a females ovary. Thats a big difference, and yes if you want to eat semen go ahead! After it enterers the open air the tiny microscopic sperm in it is killed pretty quickly, so I never said dont eat rooster sperm, just thought it was a silly question, thats all. :umm: