Is This Maryada?

LostSoul

Is this what we should follow? Is this what we are supposed to believe in? Is this what we follow without question and just obey?

http://allaboutsikhs.com/rehat/index.htm

http://www.damdamitaksal.com/lit_rehat_18.htm

There are six rehi maryadas in the first link please take time to read them through. Should I be out killing Turks, or Muslims? Ive talked to many Muslims, and people who cut their hair am I not a Sikh? In the second one (which is a taksali link) it has some bizzare things as well, I cant kill a BLACK cow?

"“The following are all major sins:

a) Killing a Brahmgyani,

b) Killing a black cow"

Is the white cow ok to kill then? I cant talk to certain people? Are we not all equal in the eyes of God?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest A Singh.

Rehatnameh are interpretations of the Rehat at the time by a number of different authors. None are contemporary to the Guru, and many have undergone multiple changes and interpolations.

The second link you posted, seems odd because the line of Bani has been mistranslated. Sikhitothemax translates it as follows:

bRhmx kYlI Gwqu kM\kw AxcwrI kw Dwnu ]

brehaman kailee ghaath ka(n)n(j)akaa anachaaree kaa dhhaan ||

If a Brahmin kills a cow or a female infant, and accepts the offerings of an evil person,

iPtk iPtkw koVu bdIAw sdw sdw AiBmwnu ]

fittak fittakaa korr badheeaa sadhaa sadhaa abhimaan ||

he is cursed with the leprosy of curses and criticism; he is forever and ever filled with egotistical pride.

pwih eyqy jwih vIsir nwnkw ieku nwmu ]

paahi eaethae jaahi veesar naanakaa eik naam ||

One who forgets the Naam, O Nanak, is covered by countless sins.

sB buDI jwlIAih ieku rhY qqu igAwnu ]4]

sabh budhhee jaaleeahi eik rehai thath giaan ||4||

Let all wisdom be burnt away, except for the essence of spiritual wisdom. ||4||

You learn something new everyday. I will try and avoid killing a black cow. As for the brahmgiani, people always say you got to be one to recognise one. So how would you know (unless you was one) ?

I suppose it is OK to kill water buffalo that everyone has in India. Those Irish Black, Brangus, Welsh Black breeds are lucky cows then.

You learn something new everyday. I will try and avoid killing a black cow. As for the brahmgiani, people always say you got to be one to recognise one. So how would you know  (unless you was one) ?

I suppose it is OK to kill water buffalo that everyone has in India. Those Irish Black, Brangus, Welsh Black breeds are lucky cows then.

133817[/snapback]

Is it that a black cow just tastes downright nasty?

Guru Granth Sahib jee... who else do you need?

Whatever question you have about how to conduct yourself, ask Guru Jee. Take santhiyaa, establish a relationship with Him, and then . . . you wont need any other source other than Guru Jee for a code of conduct.

So true.. Gurbani has an answer for every single question that one ever has because Bani is Nirankaar.

When a hukamnama is being read or listened to, just imagine that it is Guru Jee speaking to you and guiding you with the answer to your question and that it is not you or the Granthi saying the Bani.

Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee Maharaaj

d_oh.gifd_oh.gif