Sikhs Attacked & Made Homeless In Uttaranchal

sher_panjabi

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so is this fuss over nothing?

cos from the impression i got was that sikhs were being discriminated and attacked openly in this state, but a veer said that its not just sikhs and thers a reason for it.

...................... keep it updated ppl so we know wats really goin on...

145453[/snapback]

No its not a fuss over nothing. These people are now homeless and what they worked for all their lives is down the drain. But the attempt to turn this situation into a Sikh issue is being done wrongly without any regard to the facts.

We should all be writing to urge the Uttaranchal State government to take steps to ensure the personal safety and security of the evicted farmers, and to resolve the issue of land ownership. The unreasonable lapse of time and delayed action on part of the court should nullify the states claim to the land.

There is a another thread in the News section where I have given a brief background to the events.

The land (reported as about 1000 acres) was owned by one family, when the Land Ceiling Act was enacted, the land that was seen by the state to be above the ceiling was taken over by the state. It was meant to be redistributed to the landless. The family that owned the land though "hai hai....we are going to lose our land" so they sold it to farmers who happened to be Punjabi. The court case was still underway when the land was sold. As with most court cases in India (unless you are being tried for assasinating a politcian) it dragged on for decades. These new owners of the land worked very hard and began to enjoy the fruits of their labour.

A week or so ago some stupid judge ruled that as the land was subject to the land ceiling act and therefore would have lapsed to the State so the sale was void. The idiots in charge of Uttaranchal probably thought good chance to get access to good fertile farmland which they can then give to their cronies. So they sent in the state forces to clear the land.

The stupid judge should have penalised and surcharged the original owner but the Indian judiciary is full of old farts who have little regard for the ordinary hard working janta.

Now it is fact that there were 50 odd non Sikh families who were also evicted and it is also fact that Sikh farmers are still tending to their crops in other areas of Utteranchal without any threat of eviction. But as usual the anti Hindu brigade who like to seize any opportunity they can have ignored the facts so they can propagate lies to further their own hidden agendas (hence why they have ignored the 50 non Sikh families to turn it into a Dharmic issue).

In July 2003 several hundred Adivasi families in Maharashta were rendered homeless and about a 1000 acres of crops destroyed. Again the land was subject to the land ceiling Act. For some strange reason the Sikh Fed or whatever it was called in those days kept quiet about that issue. I wonder why ? As they are the Sikh Fed should they have not been protecting the weak and issuing letters etc to MPs to highlight the case of the Adivasis families ?

But as usual the anti Hindu brigade who like to seize any opportunity they can have ignored the facts so they can propagate lies to further their own hidden agendas (hence why they have ignored the 50 non Sikh families to turn it into a Dharmic issue).

I wouldnt go as far as to start calling some of the sangat anti- hindu but paranoide anti Indian.

but then sangat has good reason to be. th lesson is to wait for the full story before assuming its totaly anti sikh.

im disgusted to see police beating old men accross the head, reffering to that picture, but then i saw pictures of old men being beaten to the ground when the police enforced a curfew of sikhs in delhi 1984, before the government unleased the hired goons to loot and kill sikhs in their homes.

anyways

khalistaan zindabaad

• 4 weeks later...

I thought that I would let Sikh Sangat know that I finally received a response to an email I sent to my local MP in regards the situation in Uttaranchal.

It goes something like this:

'Thank you for your email about the human rights situation for Sikhs in Uttaranchal state.

I have written to my colleague Ian Pearson MP, Minister of State at the Foreign Office, about this and I will be in contact with you again when I receive a reply.'

I look forward to the response of Ian Pearson and will post when I get it.