Lohri

WGJKKWGJKF

i just came in from a Lohri celebration i was forced to attend as it was in close family  :)

Even without considering the story behind Lohri you can kind of sus out its a punjabi thing not sikhi

And its its sexist!!! :@   <_<   celebrate birth of a boy why dont you and dont bother with girls!!!

146658[/snapback]

Gurfateh!!

Yeah this is the reason why it is contrary to Sikhi, where we place more respect on females.

However there are some people who are celebratings it for their daughters aswell so i have no objections.

In punjab, it was also celebrated as it signifies coming out of the cold months and looking forward to harvests to come, it was very difficult for newborns to get through these very cold months so it's a celebration of their survival also.

Like people have said, remember theres a difference between, culture and religion.

Bhul Chuk Maaf!

Gurfateh!!

It says a great deal for our culture and our perspectives when we say we ackowledge lohri and it’s hateful sexist past and say we can change it by adding girls to the celebration.

Realize what that aspect of lohri meant! It was not that girls simply were not recognized. It was/is part of a culture of justification of physical and emotional abuse, rape, and murder of women.

And we decide that by carrying on the tradition but adding girls to the celebration, the celebration is valid?! This is not a day of celebration. It is a day of mourning and remembrance. Alternatively, it should be a day where women are recognized for overcoming the inequalities that still exist around the world today.