Malaysian School Orders Sikh Boy To "shave Or Leav

BATU GAJAH: A Sikh man is enraged that his Form Five son is being ordered to shave his beard and moustache by the school authorities.

Jasmel Singh, 45, said his son Ranveer Singh was informed by the school principal last week that he could not keep facial hair or sport sideburns as it was against school regulations.

“I find the ruling absurd as according to our religion, a Sikh is not supposed to remove hair on any part of his body,” he complained.

The father of three said he tried to meet the principal to explain the matter but was turned away.

“She just curtly turned me away and said if my son refused to follow her instruction, he should get himself transferred to another school.

“She has given him an ultimatum to turn up clean shaven by Monday,” said Jasmel Singh.

Describing the ruling as discriminatory, Jasmel Singh said he would not bow to the principal’s demand.

“If I force my son to shave his facial hair, what kind of example am I setting for him?” he asked, adding that the issue should not arise as long as his son was neat and presentable.

Ranveer Singh, 17, who will be sitting for his SPM this year, said the matter had caused him undue stress.

“I find it hard to concentrate in class because of this,” he said.

State Education Department Mohamad Zakaria Mohd Noor said Ranveer Singh could write to the director of schools unit under the Education Ministry to be permitted to keep his facial hair and side burns.

“At the moment, he will not be forced to shave his hair,” said Mohamad Zakaria.

In an immediate response, Jasmel Singh said he would not write the letter as it was irrelevant.

“It is ridiculous to get permission for a religious requirement,” he said.

yeps read it earlier and was shocked by it.

Man some countries are seriously in need of a lesson about sikhi...who wants to go teach em. Maybe we need to design a real course that qualfied people take to these clueless places.... :)

They need our support..the dad seems adamant in not writing to anyone..so how wil the student/son be helped..what if next school says the same....

vaheguroooo.

Please visit links from todays paper:

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?f...9638&sec=nation

second link:

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?f...9381&sec=nation

The issue was solved within 24 hours!! (is it a world record for such problems?? )

End of the day it was all Guru Sahibs Keerpa! d_oh.gif

Just to add up,Sangat jee might have read about the issue in one of the articles where Muslim boys wanted to wear "serban"(muslim turban) to school.When they were not allowed to wear their "serban" to school,they pointed out to the Sikhs as why their children were allowed to wear Dastar.

Thank Guru Sahib jee , the Goverment(and yea Islam is the country's official faith as per in the constitution) backed the Sikhs saying that it is a requirement by the Sikh faith!....but it is OPTIONAL for Muslims....(even tho I think everyone should have the freedom to practice their faith)......

Waheguru jee ka khalsa waheguru jee kee fateh

Good to see this issue resolve within 24 hrs.

Such issues related to Sikh, his / her identity dos/ don't pops up in various countries world wide. Generally We act after the incident , I would suggest a Central Committee consisting of rep. of Sikhs all over the World headed by Sri Akal Takhat Sahib should made a Presentation / Paper on Sikhism and forward the same world wide through email, courier etc. ( in that particular country national langague too) for their information and knowledge in Advance. So that before making any policy for turban, kesh , kirpan etc. or while resolving any related issue the respective Govt. can refer that Paper.

SGPC/ DSGPC should rep. should meet Ambassardors / Diplomats of various countries in Delhi and brief them about religion so that they can also forward direction to their respective countries including immigration department.

bhulla chukka dee maufai

Waheguru jee ka khalsa waheguru jee kee fateh